android
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Default playlist support

Is there any way I can get rockbox to see playlists that I have synced from windows media player like the OF can? THis is really the only thing keeping me from using RB full time.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

WMP uses M3U playlists like we do, so if you save it as one of those it'll work in rockbox. I don't know how its sync works, I've never used it.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with saratoga. He should know

Sorry, I avoid WMP like the plague but theoretically, AFAIK, yeah, should be OK.

I am a dedicated playlist user, though I do not have previously saved playlists I want to use on my own RB'd Fuze. I simply use the awesome RB functionality to create new playlists [which is a complete walk in the park, once you understand how to do it]...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 PM

What should paths in a playlist for Rockbox look like? Can they be relative (to the location of the playlist) paths? Do they need or benefit from including #EXTINF data, or can they be plain file lists? I assume that backslashes are OK since you're able to use playlists created by Winamp.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Ok I tried syncing the playlist as a m3u playlist and I cannot get the list to show up rockbox says I have no playlists in catalog

Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson Dyle View Post
What should paths in a playlist for Rockbox look like? Can they be relative (to the location of the playlist) paths? Do they need or benefit from including #EXTINF data, or can they be plain file lists? I assume that backslashes are OK since you're able to use playlists created by Winamp.
Hmmm, no idea I am afraid Carson...I just don't get into the nuts and bolts of the playlists on RB. Stick around - this is a question for the intrepid saratoga to answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
Ok I tried syncing the playlist as a m3u playlist and I cannot get the list to show up rockbox says I have no playlists in catalog
Mikee: check the root folder of your Fuze. Playlists get created there by default as I recall. From there you can cut/copy/paste to the Playlist folder.

hth,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 AM

I copied the playlist over to the root of the sansa but when I open it it will not play any of the files. Any ideas on how to easily make this work. I'm so close to just going back to the OF full time. Rockbox just doesn't appear to do any of the things I try to do most often on the sansa such as playing a synced playlist. Another thing is that my files show up like 6 times in the database when they are only on there once. IT is just so frustrating that I am willing to put up with worse SQ of the OF

Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Any ideas on how to easily make this work. I'm so close to just going back to the OF full time. Rockbox just doesn't appear to do any of the things I try to do most often on the sansa such as playing a synced playlist. Another thing is that my files show up like 6 times in the database when they are only on there once. IT is just so frustrating that I am willing to put up with worse SQ of the OF
If you just want to sync a computer using MTP and WMP, you should probably stick with the OF. The sound quality isn't much different (aside from the lack of good EQ at least). Rockbox isn't really built around WMP like the sandisk software since most of us think WMP is garbage

Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
If you just want to sync a computer using MTP and WMP, you should probably stick with the OF. The sound quality isn't much different (aside from the lack of good EQ at least). Rockbox isn't really built around WMP like the sandisk software since most of us think WMP is garbage
Odd. I found the Rockbox sound quality to be much deeper, crisper, and fuller than the OF.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmaster765 View Post
Odd. I found the Rockbox sound quality to be much deeper, crisper, and fuller than the OF.
It can be deeper, crisper, cruncher, blacker and more wet for all I care, all i'm saying it sounds the same.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-03-2010, 08:31 AM

to me the sound is much fuller and deeper when adjusted a certain way when listening to it with earphones. If it is hooked up to speakers both FW sound the same. I still want to keep it for occasional use but it boots up automatically is there any way to flip the bootloader to start the OF first then start rockbox if I hold the left button?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
to me the sound is much fuller and deeper when adjusted a certain way when listening to it with earphones. If it is hooked up to speakers both FW sound the same.
The sound quality should be the same using SanDisk’s firmware or Rockbox’s firmware. The signal processing, however, is much more extensive and better with Rockbox. Using this signal processing, the user can often obtain a superior listening experience. Sound quality is dependent on things like signal-to-noise ratio, frequency response, dynamic range, total harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion, channel separation, etc.; with the signal processing switched off, I doubt Rockbox is going to change these measurements of sound quality.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I copied the playlist over to the root of the sansa but when I open it it will not play any of the files.
That's probably because the paths of the files aren't correct. Could you copy the contents of the playlist (as in, open it with Notepad or something like that, and copy everything inside) and give an example of what the file structure on your player is like?