Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with Salt...I enjoyed it alot
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

2+ Liked it also. Tourist was a fail 1st week wise have yet to go see it.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:44 PM

Salt and Human Centipede are both on my list I'll see em soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit3192 View Post
^is this only for Adub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Adub: Another one. Watch this one - now... That goes for anyone
I believe he answered your question before you even asked it rohit.

The whole point of this thread is to suggest films, anyone can take any recommendation regardless of who it is recommended to...

Mars Attacks!
It's a silly film, but it's hilarious and i love it. 4/5

Quote:
Genre: Science Fiction & Fantasy, Comedy

Synopsis: Amid speculation that a meteorite crashed to Earth from Mars some 15,000 years ago and contains indications of simple life forms, Mars Attacks! offers... Amid speculation that a meteorite crashed to Earth from Mars some 15,000 years ago and contains indications of simple life forms, Mars Attacks! offers definitive proof of life on the Angry Red Planet. No single-celled organisms, these alien invaders are the big-brained variety with a flair for ray guns and planetwide pandemonium. Citizens of Earth face their doom with gung-ho valor and brainless abandon as little green men from outer space gleefully terrorize the planet in an all-star, cross-country sci-fi comedy.

Rated: PG-13 [See Full Rating] For sci-fi fantasy violence and brief sexuality.
Running Time: 1 hr. 43 min.
Directed By: Tim Burton
Written By: Jonathan Gems
(Rotten Tomatoes)
(Wikipedia)
(IMDB)
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Last edited by Adub; 12-15-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ haha...loved Mars Attacks! Grandma and Jack were priceless...

Another incredible horror flick, once again from Europe. Infinitely superior to 99% of the American offerings in this field.

The cover blurb is 100% on target - this film was at once beautiful and horrifying throughout.

Must see IMO for fans of this genre - weak stomachs/killjoys need not apply.

From horrorsnotdead.com:

Review: MARTYRS

2008,B+,Reviews
Posted by Peter Hall - March 8th 2009 @ 11:46 pm
Written and Directed by Pascal Laugier, 2008
Watching MARTYRS is like staring into a blast furnace. Pascal Laugier’s film is a smoldering cell of anger and heat and hate and marvel. It’s difficult to watch head on and downright painful to endure over time. To be honest the experience is one I hesitate to recommend. However, one must be impressed by the effect of it, impressed by its ability to inflict such engineered torment, impressed that the film can survive its own extreme internal pressures.

Laugier’s is an escalation game, vying not to push past boundaries, rather to set up residence on the border itself. The squirming endurance comes not from how far past the line his content brings the viewer, instead how long Laugier can chain a viewer to the line.

I’d find it a stretch to refer to MARTYRS as entertaining or any derivative there of. Intriguing is the word. Films like this urge me to explain HND’s somewhat arbitrary rating system. I’ve always opted for the A to F grading system all once students in the US should be familiar with. I’ve never felt that all films adhere to an ordinal ranking system of identical criteria transferable to a number. I do, however, think that one can surmise what the proverbial assignment was when watching a film. Any objective person should be able to gleam what a filmmaker was going for. The A-F grading schema operates on this assumption, which should help explain why I consider both LET THE RIGHT ONE IN and NIGHT OF THE COMET A grade material. I’ve no idea whether many pay attention to these grades, I preface this only to account for why MARTYRS lands in the blood red B+ range while simultaneously hesitating on a recommendation to even the most iron willed icehearted horror hounds out there.

I’d also like to issue one final qualifier before heading into the review proper. I do so in a hope to stem the hype MARTYRS gained on the festival circuit last year. I’ve no doubt that many walked out of screenings or that Pascal Laugier gave one or two humble folk such a gut punch they vomited in the isles. Just know that far worse footage exists out there. What makes MARTYRS so brutal is not the extreme makeup but its commitment to never provide a glimpse of salvation. What makes MARTYRS so disturbing is how casual Laugier is about beating the spirit out of his two lead females. These are not heroine’s overcoming an ordeal. These are two complete strangers who got dealt a shit hand, a hand feverish with psychosis.

MARTYRS is the pressure point to INSIDE’s sledgehammer. Anyone reading this site can stomach the sights within this controversial French film, sights of deep self mutilation and cruel devices. Understandably not all of us can nor should stomach the sight of a woman repeatedly being stomped like a bass drum, a repetitious segment of the film that takes up nearly the entire final third of the run time. In its defense, however, there is a method to the film’s rage. It stokes the fire, each vignette of pain notching the temperature that much higher until the furnace is full blast, our faces invisibly red with the burn.

A brief history about a tortured girl who escaped her confines segues into a present day catch up with said victim on the morning she’s exacting revenge on the people she holds responsible. She and her double barrel shotgun have marked the heads of a household as the source of her kindertrauma. Little is spoiled in saying a few blasts later and the entire family has been put down considering the film plays her spontaneous slaughter with an incredulity mirroring the viewer’s own doubt. Lucie’s sanity is further tested when she starts to see a naked woman with an absurdly scarred frame chasing her throughout the home. She then calls upon Ana, her sole childhood friend. Thus the mystery kicks off with the seemingly sane Ana arriving at the side of the assuredly insane Lucie.

I was afraid that Laugier would attempt to maintain the precept of his ‘is Ana insane’ mystery throughout but fortunately he does not. A mini resolution is reached at which point the film takes an even darker turn towards the onyx recesses of the human mind. I’ll not spoil where he goes or what the ultimate plot is, but I will confess my surprise. Laugier’s script provides a demented justification for the desecration of mind, body and spirit that is unexpected and unique. There are alternative directions that would have provided a more meaningful meditation on the extremes, but Laugier’s path yields a reward that helps soften the exhausting 100 minutes what came before. Still, it’s a smart script in the end, easily more intelligent than the other recent entries in French viscera (INSIDE and FRONTIER(S)).

Benoit Lestang’s effects work is stunning to say the least. I’ve no doubt that the film’s final eye opener is what got Pascal Laugier on the short list for remaking HELLRAISER. It’s certainly selfish and callous of me as a fan of the genre, but its heartbreaking to know Lestang commited suicide before MARTYRS release, thus ending what would have been a perfect marriage of talent and material. Sigh.

Brilliantly offsetting the accurate savagery is the production design. Laugier has set his minefield inside a dream home that holds delicately furnished secrets within its antiseptic modern design. Most of the horror takes place in catalog perfect rooms brightly lit with natural sunlight, a welcome illumination that helps stave off the darkness yet to come. And when the darkness does come and the house’s secrets are explored, well, its actually some of my favorite horror photography of 2008.

The score is minimal and underplayed save for a few key sequences, which helps keep viewer focus on the powerful performance of its main lead, Morjana Alaoui, whose every quiver shudders with dedication. Laugier puts her through the gauntlet and the deliverable the comes out the other side is remarkable. The lasting impression of MARTYRS is that of a one woman show, a deceptive quality brought out by the strength of Alaoui. The remaining players are all perfectly cast, from the captors whose face we rarely see to the figurehead behind the operation. Everyone sells it.

As mentioned, the film’s climax takes a route that justifies, in the mind of the film, each and every act of bile perpetrated on both Lucie and Ana. It’s an original turn and I respect that, however I can envision a route that would have better ruminated on why we the viewers also bore witness to the horrors of the film. Perhaps I’ll save that spoiler heavy alternative for a separate post, though, as that was obviously not Pascal Laugier’s end game. He makes no attempt to apologize or justify why he made such a violent film and why there are people who watch such violent films. That wasn’t his agenda and for me to pretend it was would be moronic. His agenda was to tell a story whose bleak heart was wholly contingent on mankind’s capacity for absorbing the evil of the world. I don’t think even the film’s most ardent detractors could attest his goal went unreached.

Does that mean we should all sign up for the ride? No, of course not. I can recommend MARTYRS no more than I recommend Nacho Cerda’s even more disturbing short film AFTERMATH. Both are calculated experiments in film, inspired feats of cinematic engineering I’m obligated to respect, but both are also isolating films that burden nothing resembling enjoyment.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Sweet ill check it out, looks great.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Genre: Drama, Action & Adventure, Art House & International

Synopsis: In a distant war torn land, a ruthless emperor is rising to power with an iron fist and massive armies. To control everything, he will stop at... In a distant war torn land, a ruthless emperor is rising to power with an iron fist and massive armies. To control everything, he will stop at nothing. A fearless warrior, Nameless, goes on a mission of revenge, against the emperor, for the massacre of his people.

Rated: PG-13 [See Full Rating] for stylized martial arts violence and a scene of sensuality
Directed By: Yimou Zhang
Written By: Yimou Zhang, Li Feng, Bin Wang
5/5 Every time i see it the more i like it, one of the best film is have ever seen just superb story telling and Zhang's action style is just amazing.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh man, I LOVE that movie...Perhaps my fave Jet Li film...and Zhang ZiYi is so yummy as usual.

Damm Adub, you got good taste - just like me
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 AM

1408(2007)
Faint hearted people can enjoy this movie at midnight alone
(girls can come at my place).

This I think one of the well made Horror movies.
Just watch n Enjoy.

1408 is a 2007 American horror film based on the Stephen King short story of the same name directed by Swedish director Mikael Håfström, who earlier had directed the horror film Drowning Ghost. The cast includes John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson, and Mary McCormack. The film was released in the U.S. on June 22, 2007, although July 13 (a Friday the 13th) is mentioned as the release date in the trailer posted on the website.

Synopsis:The film follows Mike Enslin, an author who specializes in the horror genre. Mike's career is essentially based on investigating allegedly haunted houses, although his repeatedly unfruitful studies have left him disillusioned and pessimistic. Through an anonymous warning (via postcard), Mike eventually learns of the Dolphin Hotel in New York City, which houses the infamous "Room 1408". Interested yet skeptical, Mike decides to spend one night in the hotel although manager Olin (Jackson) warns him strongly against it. Mike has a series of bizarre experiences in the room.

Last edited by rohit3192; 12-16-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 PM

Just finished this:

Magnum Force (1973)

My rating: 4/5

Rotten Tomatoes
Wikipedia

Quote:
Genre: Drama, Action & Adventure, Classics
Synopsis: This first sequel to Dirty Harry was written by a couple of strong voices, writer-directors Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter) and John Milius (Farewell... This first sequel to Dirty Harry was written by a couple of strong voices, writer-directors Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter) and John Milius (Farewell to the King). But that doesn't mean the film is particularly good. After Don Siegel's ferociously dark style in the first movie, Ted Post's blocky, television-ish direction in Magnum Force is a huge letdown. The story doesn't win any prizes, either. Eastwood's San Francisco detective Harry Callahan (apparently having retrieved his badge after throwing it away at the end of Dirty Harry) takes on a vigilante squad within the city's police force. David Soul is pretty convincing as the major spokesman for these right-wing avengers. Eastwood, on the other hand, had already turned Callahan from fascinating outsider in Siegel's film to purveyor of tough-guy shtick in this one. --Tom Keogh [More]
Rated: R [See Full Rating] adult situations/language, violence
Running Time: 2 hr. 2 min.
In Theaters: Dec 28, 1973 Wide

Distributor:Warner Home Video
Directed By: Ted Post
Written By: John Milius, Michael Cimino

Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Dirty Harry rules!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 PM

Default The Enforcer

The Enforcer (1976)

My Rating: 4/5

Wikipedia
Rotten Tomatoes

Old 01-01-2011, 09:36 PM

I just got back from watching True Grit.

The Coen Brothers did not disappoint

4.5/5

Rotten Tomatoes

IMDb

Quote:
Genre: Western, Drama, Action & Adventure
Synopsis: A tough U.S. Marshal helps a stubborn young woman track down her father's murderer. A tough U.S. Marshal helps a stubborn young woman track down her father's murderer. [More]
Rated: PG-13 [See Full Rating] for some intense sequences of western violence including disturbing images
Running Time: 1 hr. 50 min.
In Theaters: Dec 22, 2010 Wide
Box Office:$36.1M

Distributor:Paramount Pictures
Directed By: Ethan Coen , Joel Coen
Written By: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen

Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 PM

I watched High Fidelity again for the 30th time or so, yep still one of the best ever imo. 5/5.

Last edited by Adub; 01-13-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ great, great flick!

Just watched this, surprisingly good and really quite funny! Worth watching just to see Helen Mirren firing a huge gun and Malkovich is hysterical.

A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ great, great flick!

Just watched this, surprisingly good and really quite funny! Worth watching just to see Helen Mirren firing a huge gun and Malkovich is hysterical.
*snip of "Red" image*
I've got it on the computer, but so far both times I've been about to watch it, I've been called in to work on my day off....so I'm almost scared to cue it up again.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is a 2010 sword-and-sorcery action film written by Jordan Mechner, Boaz Yakin, Doug Miro, and Carlo Bernard; directed by Mike Newell; produced by Jerry Bruckheimer; and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures. The film is a retelling of the 2003 video game of the same name, developed and released by Ubisoft Montreal.
The film stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Prince Dastan, Gemma Arterton as Princess Tamina, Ben Kingsley as Nizam, and Alfred Molina as Sheik Amar.
The film has the same title as the video game Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and is primarily based on it. Elements from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, two other titles from the Prince of Persia video game franchise, are also incorporated. However, apart from the basic elements such as treachery and the Sands of Time, the film's plot is quite distinct from that of the video game franchise. For example, the film is focused on stopping the antagonist from releasing the Sands, whereas in the game the Prince must fight past hordes of sand monsters to seal the Sands of Time back into the hourglass.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@ rohit.....I heard that movie was horrible, so please let us know what you think after it's done.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:16 PM

I saw it in theaters.
Now DVD came out so encoded for J3.
Cowon J3+Hippo+Movie=enjoyable

Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
@ rohit.....I heard that movie was horrible, so please let us know what you think after it's done.
It was nice I seen it by other means......It was nice a lot of action, the guy actually did things seen only on the game. The girl was hot, the plot was pretty solid and precise and I loved the ending. Pretty good I couldn't point at any paticular thing to complain about oh I almost forgot it was also funny. 8/10

Old 01-14-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
It was nice I seen it by other means......It was nice a lot of action, the guy actually did things seen only on the game. The girl was hot, the plot was pretty solid and precise and I loved the ending. Pretty good I couldn't point at any paticular thing to complain about oh I almost forgot it was also funny. 8/10
agree 100%
I have watched full movie without break that says that plot is entertaining.
I like adventure kind of movies.
Jake justified role of price(he is good looking )
These kind of movie can be enjoyed more in theaters(with Dolby sound)
I liked it on J3.

Tags
movies