android
Old 12-12-2010, 01:47 PM

Unhappy FLAC on P3?

hi guys, yesterday i discovered that the P3 also has FLAC support, so i downloaded some mp3's, then converted them into FLAC using AVS Audio Convertor, and then put them on my P3. However, when i played a "FLAC-song" on the P3, it got totally mixed up and eventually restarted.
so how do you play FLAC on your P3? do you download them as mp3 and then convert them, and if so with what software? or do you download them as FLAC?
thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Converting MP3 to FLAC is useless. The information that has already been lost in the MP3 file cannot be restored by converting it into a higher format. You will only get a bigger file that sounds either equal, or worse - but it will never sound better.

Same goes for MP3-to-MP3:

Quote:
Every time you encode with a lossy encoder, the quality will decrease. There's no way to gain quality back even if you transcode your 128kbps MP3 into a 320kbps MP3 (or any other high-quality compression).

Transcoding between lossy formats is therefore generally not recommended. The sound quality of the result will always be worse than the (lossy) source file.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....le=Transcoding

The only way FLAC makes sense is when you rip your original CDs directly to FLAC.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:52 AM

It's also worth mentioning that if it restarts you need to update your firmware, or the FLAC files are corrupted or 24bit.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM

I will advise you to read my recent post about the P3 and file formats. I had the problem you describe here when using MTP. But you can't use MTP? I am close to the only one here! Flac are better with MSC as long as your P3 is concerned.

You should document yourself regarding wave (.wav), mp3, ogg and Flac files formats. Wave files are supposed to be the original digital form of music files (extracted from CDs for example). Mp3, ogg files are lossy formats where the message is "simplified" to create small files from the wav files (size ~10-15% wav). Flac is a lossless format where the original wav message is untouched but the file size is bigger (size 45-50%).

Here are the right lossy compression routes:
WAV --> MP3
WAV --> OGG
WAV --> WMA
WAV --> AAC
WAV --> FLAC

FLAC --> MP3
FLAC --> OGG
FLAC --> WMA
FLAC --> AAC

Compression from lossy file to other lossy formats are to forbid (quality wise):
MP3--> any other
OGG --> any other
WMA --> any other
AAC --> any other

Last edited by meetooman; 02-22-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typ-oh!-s

Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM

sorry for the late reply, i forgot about this thread completely.
anyway, i really appreciate all of your advice, however, it's getting a little too complicated for me. so i think i'll just stick to mp3, it's good enough for me.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM

Just remember that flac is mostly the best way to make perfect backup copies of musical CD tracks. You can use your flac files to fill your home music server and also convert them to mp3 whenever you need to, keeping your CDs safe in your vault.
For music on the move, mp3 is the best choice quality/size ratio wise. Enjoy your P3!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Just remember that flac is mostly the best way to make perfect backup copies of musical CD tracks. You can use your flac files to fill your home music server and also convert them to mp3 whenever you need to, keeping your CDs safe in your vault.
For music on the move, mp3 is the best choice quality/size ratio wise. Enjoy your P3!
okay then. well thanks anyway, i'll just enjoy the mp3's then

Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 AM

by the way FLAC has no side effect to your ears wkwkwk...

Tags
flac, p3