android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Thumb Up Thumbs up from a new Rockbox user!

Hi folks,

I've only recently been introduced to Rockbox through purchasing a Clip+ for the first time, and I'm so impressed; you guys have done a fantastic job!

I first started playing around with the OF on the Clip+ which I was going to stick with if there were no problems, which unfortunately didn't last long. I am still waiting on a 16GB SD card to arrive through the post (and want to eventually upgrade to a 32GB card when prices drop) but first wanted to check all the features worked, so stuck an 8GB card I have spare running about.. "Samsung MicroSDHC Class 2 8GB"

The minute I attempted to introduce the SD card (which was correctly formatted and a legitimate card - as in not fake) it would take an age to load, or hang on refreshing media, and even when loaded it would not find any music on the card..

I tried putting music on the card externally first (copy music across, power off player, insert card, power on player), then through MSC with the card inserted and finally through MTP. Both externally and MSC would copy music over successfully, but when browsing through Music > Folders > External on the device, nothing would show up.

Attempting to access through MTP (using Windows 7 Pro), I could access the SD card; but it would hang on trying to copy music over, and eventually crash windows explorer if aborted.

Interestingly, even with nothing on the SD card, the player still hangs on "Refreshing Media", and ejecting it at this point then unhangs it.

Being the impatient type and interested in Rockbox from reading about it, I successfully ported the latest version onto the player using the auto utility, and it instantly recognised the SD card and the music on it with no problems!

I'm also astounded at the features and extras it comes with, along with the generous supporting documentation you guys have created! It's nice to have a range of different Themes and I'm liking the ability to fit more information and text on the screen, rather than endless scrolling..

I have noticed it freezing a few times in playing with it for the last couple hours, which I assume comes with the territory of using custom software, but nothing restarting the player didn't fix.
I've now got the pdf manual on my Desire HD for quick reference when im not in front of the PC, and think I've become a permanent convert

Bravo!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]