android
Old 12-25-2010, 07:56 AM

Default FiiO X3 DAP

Hi, this has sort of been discussed alongside the E11 portable amp by FiiO but now these drawings has been released I guess it should have its own thread:

As I predicted at Head-Fi it will use the same basic shell for the E7, which foot print wise is a bit smaller than the Cowon S9 but is somewhat around 15mm thick. Just about acceptable for putting in a pocket, but since the thing has been designed with digital out to upgrade the dac/amp sections, it could end up being a problem.

Another problem, for me, is the positioning of the harware controls all on the face. I want to be able to switch tracks and control volume easily by reaching into my pocket. Putting them on the face makes this difficult, meaning you'd have to take it out to change things.

It's probably too late at this point for suggestions, but if I'd known they had this planned I would have made it clear that essential controls need to be on the sides or top for easy sight-free access.

So, not without it's problems, but for those who have not been following the E11 or the Headfi thread, there is plenty of good news (on paper) as well:

Gapless playback;
File/folder browsing;
MSC mode;
Line out and coaxial digital out;
Album art display.

There has even been talk about getting a BBE sound enhancements license for it.

So a bit of a mixed bag for me so far, with some brilliant features promised but some underwhelming design decisions. Will be keeping my eyes on it.

Oh, and merry Christmas ABI!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2010, 09:00 AM

Thanks for that Eddie! I could see getting used to those control for use blindly in pocket over time. I'm still a little skeptical as far as how good the final product will be, but i am waiting with baited breath anyhow for the release.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 AM

Figured someone would start one, thanks EddieE. I'm not that excited about this either, but do welcome the addition to the list of anythingbutipod DAP's

*hopefully I'll be surprised ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Did anyone notice that its called a "HiFi WAV Music Player"?
Wonder why they chose that WAV bit...

Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Looks nice. I'm looking forward to what they have in store for the DAP market.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Oh yes, and another thing to mention is that the X3 has no internal memory (SDHC only) which personally I am quite happy about. FiiO will be looking for as low a release price as possible for this in keeping with their company philosophy of good quality entry level price gear so memory was an obvious place to find savings.

In a sense with an SD card slot the memory of a device is "infinite" as you can stash a bundle of them in the bottom of your pocket. SD + internal memory has always annoyed me a bit because I like to use file/folder browsing and only want one main directory rather than two separate file trees.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Thank you for the news.
Where do the front keys layout come from? this does not look good to me. Are they trying to escape from a 5 button (center+north+south+east+west) layout patent? This is a simple useful standard even on APNs...

Old 12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ahh, okay well it looks like they are just going for the on the fence HiFiMan people...

Not something I would want to buy considering there is a Clip in this world, but eh, maybe if its priced alongside a 8gb Clip+ it would be a thing I'd buy even though I might not even use it :P

Wel I'd use it right away if it had rockbox but...

Old 12-25-2010, 07:19 PM

I might be a little pedantic here in saying that I can't stand that raised face. The rest of the unit looks very nice though, can't wait for release.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Did anyone notice that its called a "HiFi WAV Music Player"?
Wonder why they chose that WAV bit...
Because they might have been inspired to (vastly) improve on something like this?

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa350.htm

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...nd-versatility

Despite the X3 being a niche product, it's great to see Fiio realizing the importance of firmware and contracting with an outside vendor to (hopefully) get it right the first time. Love the business model, too: designing a value-for-money ecosystem of devices that can work together or independently.

Last edited by chengdude; 12-25-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Considering that this will max @32gb i think I'll pass. I was hoping for 32gb onboard + sdhc or microSD expansion, so now it's D.O.A. for me. BUMMER!!!

Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 AM

A lot of older mp3 players had buttons on the face, it was really the advent of touch screens that moved hardware buttons to the sides of the player, where they are actually a lot more convenient to use. Shame FiiO seem stuck in the past on that one, especially as their E7 already had all the buttons on the sides.

I don't agree about the capacity thing. I have a Cowon S9 32gb and a Clip + 8gb. When I'm a phase of using the S9 I find that even with the 32gb I end up being "into" less than 8gb of the material at a time and then deciding to move onto another bundle of albums. When I have the clip I don't feel confined at all with the number of albums I have to listen to, and it's child's play to change them around. I don't even use the micro SD slot on it and never have as I don't like having two directories.

FiiO's main "thing" is making low cost products which punch above their weight. 32gb of flash memory does not fit in with that philosophy at all, or at least not without making cuts in more important places - ie. those affecting actual SQ and functionality.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I don't feel like being limited by capacity, so YMMV. I like to carry a large selection, since I never know what I may enjoy at the time. 32gb is so 2 year ago specs. I have 2 clip+'s, and they're 36gb & 40gb total. I'm not gonna settle and be forced to pick and choose,...again.

I'm also starting to suspect this thing is gonna wind up being another hifiman cult-following type device, which means I'll want no part of it. I detest blind fandom'ism.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 12-26-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 AM

I have serious doubts about this player too but it’s too early to know the outcome. I’m happy to see the FiiO is evolving, adding to available non ipod choices and it’s going to come regardless so IMO why not wait and see …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM

For some reason that thing reminds me of my old Dell DJ but not in a bad way. I wouldn't mind seeing reviews when this thing comes out.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll keep the troll-like comments out of the thread, but I only worry it'll wind up getting crazy and people won't say the good and bad about the device. I want pro's and con's - I'll trust the members here to be honest, as always.

Besides, I'm personally digging the looks, but the 32gb cap killed it for me.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wonder how available microSDXC readers are for a manufacturer like this. Have any been seen in other devices? Also even if there a firmware component to SDXC, it shouldn't be that difficult to produce.

Steve

Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 AM

No blind fandom here.

I take each product as it comes. Was not very impressed with the E5 but was very, very impressed with the E7 + E9 combo, and got an A1 for a super-cheap price and have been happy with that too.

I'd like to see FiiO do well because I like the fact that they talk to their customers and don't rip them off, but I've levelled my fair share of criticism at some features as well.

I don't see the point in "calling things" as rubbish before they come out - it only prejudices your own experience of it as you'll want to be right - it's very easy to find fault in anything if you really want to.

"Calling things" as good is not helpful either as you are more likely to "apologise" for its faults, which is what we see with the hifiman.

But there is a much bigger reason people have fallen into a cult of hifiman worship -

The amount they paid for it

If someone spends an absurd amount on a product they then really, really, really want it to be good so they don't feel like chumps.

This is why you get such blatant apologising for MASSIVE faults in the player - no gapless, rubbish battery life, awful form factor, buggy firmware, no cue sheet support, distortion while EQ is on - the list of faults and errors seems to grow longer every day - so the owners have to hugely exagerrate a supposed superior sound quality (which if the S-flo which I have heard is anything to go by, is non-existant) in their minds to make it worth it.

The comparrsions between hifiman and FiiO are not tennable.

One makes budget products aimed at an entry level market with low prices and no claims to be "high end" (indeed James from FiiO is constantly at pains to remind people he is not claiming this will sound any better than an average player, but will be cheap and fucntional)...

While hifiman charges exorbitant prices for hunks of metal with next to no functionality based on hollow claims of "superior" sound quality...

Pretty much chalk and cheese.

But I don't even think we are seeing any fanboyism on the headfi thread one or two people excepted. I think in this just a case of a bit of excitement and hype over a new product which is pretty normal.

The exact same thing happened with the Cowon X7 but that sunk like a stone when the product ended up being unimpresive, and the same will happen with the FiiO X3 if it disappoints.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:48 AM

Oh I forget, I actually came on this thread to say it looks like I might have been wrong about SDHC - I think it's micro SD - up to 32gb (is that micro SDHC or still just micro SD?) we are talking about here.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
This is why you get such blatant apologising for MASSIVE faults in the player - no gapless, rubbish battery life, awful form factor, buggy firmware, no cue sheet support, distortion while EQ is on - the list of faults and errors seems to grow longer every day - so the owners have to hugely exagerrate a supposed superior sound quality (which if the S-flo which I have heard is anything to go by, is non-existant) in their minds to make it worth it.
Ah, so you heard the S:Flo and you were not impressed?