android
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 AM

I'm not too sure if its just that photo, but that SD slot cover looks flimsy. The build looks good apart from that cover...

But, TBH, I really like the look of it. It's just plain and simple and looks solid. Also, the software looks interesting. Reminds me of a zune or windows 7 menu. Looking forward to a review!
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2010, 06:02 AM

Well it's not a photo it's a photoshop drawing, but yes it does look like the kind of flimsy rubber plug you find on some mobile phones which always breaks off in the end.

I personally don't see why they don't just leave an open slot like the Clip + has. Does no harm.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 AM

It's a drawing?? Oops, my bad

I would prefer just a hard "snap-lock" cover on my devices. Not really for protection but to just make it look more betterer
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM

They really should swap the forward and the Vol - buttons to make it much more usable blind.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 12-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Old 12-27-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Ah, so you heard the S:Flo and you were not impressed?
It's not that I was unimpressed Marv, just not particuarly impressed.

Twice now at meets I've had very enthusiastic S Flo owners really keen for me to listen to their player and agree how amazing it is...

I listen... Really no better or worse than my Clip + or S9... It's fine, it sounds good, just nothing special to speak of.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM

No internal storage? Is that really true?
And navigating seems like it would be really awkward with that button layout. There needs to be some sort of scroll wheel or at least a D-pad I'd think.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM

mythe,
The price should reflect the lack of internal storage. I've often thought that manufacturers should just let us deal with storage.

I mean look at the difference in price between an 8gb, 16gb, 32gb player of the same model - it would clearly be cheaper for us to just have them leave the storage and let us buy it ourselves for a much cheaper price.

That issue does seem to be dividing people though, with some dead against and some very up for.

Re. the button layout - I absolutely agree - I really hope it's not final. All the points made here about it are also being made at headfi where I know FiiO is monitoring the thread...

Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't care what anyone "thinks", as the lack of internal storage and the capacity limit of (SDHC, not SDXC) 32gb makes this a "fail"!!! Good, bad, whatever,...we even criticize Cowon all the time for the cap - but at least the J3 can go to 64gb w/a microSD card.

Meh!!! Another waste of a player!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:22 AM

Well it makes it unsuitable for you, if it doesn't bother other people, then it doesn't bother other people.

I personally don't feel any restriction with my 8gb clip +, I didn't even feel any restriction with my 4gb Clip. A 16gb SD card will be plenty for me, and I've got a good few of them hanging about the place already. I have a couple of hundred gb of music so far at home and the collection is always growing - I take albums out on my clip in much the same way I'd chuck a load of cds in my bag when I had a discman, and change them when I feel like a new batch.

For you it's a dealbreaker, so that rules the player out for you, for me, it is something I've thought manufacturers should do for a while, or at least offer an option of, so its good news for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

Re SDXC - a normal SDHC reader can use the slower speed SDXC cards with just a firmware upgrade, but for the faster speed cards a whole new reader with pick ups for extra pins is needed. Whether or not a music player would need the faster speed doesn't seem to be concluded last time I looked on the thread, but supporting SDXC is being discussed on the headfi thread last time I looked.

Last edited by EddieE; 12-28-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just an FYI - most here already understand that a 64gb (that's the max so far) SDXC card can be used in place of a 32gb SDHC card w/a FW update, and that would make me a buyer. If it maxed @32gb, it's not worth it . Especially since so many will want to go "lossless" on it if it has stellar SQ,...I do LAME or AAC myself.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 PM

Here's some pics of either a dummy/prototype of the X3
http://mp4nation.net/blog/2011/01/i-...k-photos/x3_3/
http://mp4nation.net/blog/2011/01/i-...k-photos/x3_2/
(Click on the image for high-res)

http://mp4nation.net/blog/2011/01/i-...k-peak-photos/

Old 01-11-2011, 04:45 AM

Update from the official fiio rep on the head-fi thread. I am pretty excited about this DAP, dying to hear a release date....

Quote:
We just decide to make a small change to our X3, so it will be more slim and a little longer! I hope we can put a large battery inside so the playtime can over 10 hours to 12 hours or even more!

And X3 will support 192k/24b FLAC, WAV, APE. * 192k/24b need to be confirmed!

In fact, we are carry a working sample but it is handwork prototype so the key is unreliable! but it do play 192k/24b music!

Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 AM

Oh brother, it plays 24/192, the most useful feature ever...

Old 01-11-2011, 06:30 AM

I expect FiiO knows its useless too, it's just half the people on the head-fi thread have said it is an essential feature so they put it in.

It absolutely stunned me that some people were saying gapless was unimportant and then on the very next line saying 24bit playback was essential...

...the stupidity of some people just floors me sometimes.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Well that was going to be the problem if they were really going to be listening to those people over there.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

lol @ supporting 192k/24b FLAC, WAV, APE and 10 hours to 12 hours or even more" battery life sucks, no wonder I keep my i7

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 AM

Supporting useless APE but not Vorbis is a rather silly decision as well.

Outdated, inefficient APE file can be easily converted to FLAC - but since that player also doesn't support AAC, MP3 seems to be the most "modern" lossy codec on that player.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Supporting useless APE but not Vorbis is a rather silly decision as well.
/agree

I've been listenning to alot of -q10 recently and I've never had any music in APE

Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Techguy DR, well most of their potential customers use the forum so it's just common sense. They listened on the gapless too, and not many players out there have it so that was a good one.

As far as 24bit support goes - a pointless feature is no problem for me, if I don't use it its the same as it not being there.

The 10-12 battery life is a bigger issue - that's about what my Clip manages but that has the excuse of being small.

Maybe I've been spoilt by Cowons, but if I take something bigger than my clip out with me it is specifically because I need a much longer charge than that.