android
Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
I expect FiiO knows its useless too, it's just half the people on the head-fi thread have said it is an essential feature so they put it in.

It absolutely stunned me that some people were saying gapless was unimportant and then on the very next line saying 24bit playback was essential...

...the stupidity of some people just floors me sometimes.
@Eddie, I quite enjoyed the responses you were getting when you were trying to explain what gapless really means, over there....there really are some clueless folks over there. Not all of them, to be sure, but many.

@dfkt, yes, APE use is just dumb....instant conversion to FLAC whenever I happen upon it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM

*sigh* and still i remain skeptical bordering on disappointed with their idiotic choices. The battery life is a deal breaker, there is no excuse for it. On the topic of replaygain, have they offered any information on it's support?
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So this thing isn't touch screen right? Friggin' hope not! Basically I am looking for a new sansaclip+ device that does album art, maybe this will suffice for now. I'm a big fan of DAPs and they seem to be dropping out of fashion, so this for me a welcomed edition.

I would just like to say quickly for those that are slightly miffed at the 'only' 32gb storage capacity (or any other device that has limited capacity), I might have a small solution/workaround you may not have heard about.
A long time ago I came across a program called AMOK Playlist Copy. What it does is simply allow you to drag yer playlists that you might have created in winamp or whereever and recreate a new folder with all the ACTUAL mp3/wma/whatever files of that playlist into that folder. It looks at the playlist and finds/grabs the actual song and copies it to a new location (not the shortcut, the real mp3 file etc).
Now why is that useful u might add? Well, for me I have a 60gb music collection, BUT i decided to go through each album and select ONLY the songs i really liked from that album (4-5 star songs etc) and leave the others out and create a playlist for each album like this. Of course now I have ALOT of album playlists (that arn't the full album). Sometimes one album might have only 1 or 2 tracks selected, another album almost every song, but u get the point.
THEN using AMOK Playlist Copy I found I had a new music collection that was a kinda condensed 'best of' type thing totaling a size of just 10gb. From 60gb reduced down to 10gb.
Now that might seem like alot of condensing, maybe i'm more fussy over what makes it into the 'best of' and what doesnt. But bascially doing this is akin to me playing all of my 60gb music on shuffle and hitting the 'skip' track key when coming across a song I don't care for that much.
Right now i have my sansaclip+ filled with only 10gb worth of tunes, i hardly hit the 'skip/forward' button. Using a device that has 'only' 32gb worth of storage for me isn't a deal breaker, I have managed to strip 60gb down to 10gb (that i really love!) leaving a further 22gb free for full length albums i really want. So to me 32gb (when used in this fashion) is plenty! It might not be ideal, I understand, always nice to have full albums, but for me AMOK was a FANTASTIC program that took the playlists I had already created in winamp and quickly and effortlessly copy them to a new folder as actual mp3 files instead of a shortcut .m3u file.

I'd be interested in what other people might 'strip' their huge music collections down to.
Well it's just a suggestion, I mean for those with 90gb worth of music how do you decide what to put on a player with 32-64gb storage capacity?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 PM

I want one! When will this be hitting the streets?

I've been waiting for something like this for years--a DAP that will do justice to 24/96 Flac (and possibly 192!), a decent UI, and small enough to fit in your pocket. I would agree that the volume selection and next/previous controls would be better off on the side, but I think I can get used to them on the front.

I hope my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze holds out until the X3 is ready!

Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by databass View Post
I want one! When will this be hitting the streets?

I've been waiting for something like this for years--a DAP that will do justice to 24/96 Flac (and possibly 192!), a decent UI, and small enough to fit in your pocket. I would agree that the volume selection and next/previous controls would be better off on the side, but I think I can get used to them on the front.

I hope my Rockboxed Sansa Fuze holds out until the X3 is ready!
Apparently they should be shipping some models to the guys from headfonia and to a member of headfi for them to review it, and another one to me... i wish.
meanwhile still no date for first batch.

What has been already set is the price between 150 and 200$

Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 PM

dead ?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Currently "vaporware",...

Old 06-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is big over at Head-fi.

A big batch of well cooked speculation best to wait.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Seems that their fw contractor or the party supplying chips (maybe the same party? Havn't been following that closely but its definitely an extrernal supplyer issue) has a big order from a more important customer so FiiO have been bunted to the back of the queue.

Unless there are serious flaws reported I'm pretty much going to get one as I plan to dock it with my E9 to build a little "out post" rig at my girlfriend's house. That's really the sell for me. I don't see how its going to nudge my clip + out as a portable player if even my Cowon S9 fails to compete with its convenience and versatility (with rb).

I plan to review it and will post it up here when it finally comes out later this year (hoepfully!).

Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I won't even worry about it, as it'll be available "whenever". Besides, 10hrs for a dap? Then I'll PASS!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM

It has a number of features that other players don't and for that alone I applaud Fiio. The battery life for the final product has yet to be seen, but 10-12 hours is definitely not enough for a 'bulky' player. On the other hand they chose some components which are not exactly known for their energy efficiency so no miracles on the stamina side are to be expected.

Still a nice move from Fiio when most other companies put out 'new' players which make their previous DAP's look all that much better.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

10-12 hours of playtime, no matter what components it has, make it a "FAIL"!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 PM

Well my Clip + gets ten hours and it doesn't bother me at all.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
10-12 hours of playtime, no matter what components it has, make it a "FAIL"!
I agree with both but more to this side.

Battery life is a must it just seems like something simple to me.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
Well my Clip + gets ten hours and it doesn't bother me at all.
Sorry, but that's comparing apples to oranges. My clip+'s are the same as well - this is supposed to be another class of dap altogether. This, as it stands, will be a FAIL @10hrs battery runtime - period!!! I'm not a head-fi fanboi, so the hype is BS to me.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM

It's comparing a digital audio player with a digital audio player.

This product has not marketed or claimed to be "another class" of player at all.

You've laboured with that completely false notion regardless of what anyone else says.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't labored shiit! I'm basing this off of the fanboi posts off of head-fi,...are you one of those fans? For all it's "supposed" to do & sound like it's still going to be a brick w/horrid battery life. Hooking it up to another fiio piece of hardware to carry about so I can look "audiophile-like" just doesn't lull me in.

Create a modern dap w/modern specs and then sing it's praises. It might sound amazing, but the battery life (so far) sux.

And my clip+'s, those are for short trips & listening to while exercising - 10hrs battery life for them is meaningless - but YOU brought them into the conversation, didn't you?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:53 PM

You're projecting a lot on to this player, and this conversation, that really isn't there. It looks like you're making some assumptions about me as well that I've done nothing to provoke.

I think you need to have a look at what is actually happening here - I started a thread on this product and have reported its pros and cons from the first post onwards.

You've trolled it from beginning to end and I've responded to you politely through out.

I've got my limits.

No one is forcing you to come to this thread, much less comment about it. If you aren't interested in it do what most people do - spend your time reading something else.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow.................

Old 06-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Trolling, no,...stating my opinion & having you say I've Labored w/a completely false opinion is what you've said. I'll speak my mind & discuss the player as I see fit. I'd buy it if the BATTERY life is proportional to what a modern mp3 player is capable of - in this dap's class. If this is something you have an issue with, so be it. As it stands, this brick w/it's 10-12hr battery life is ***fail***

But, if the battery life is upped to 20+ hrs I'll be sending fiio my order. Sounds like I might actually want one, no?