android
Old 12-27-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Galaxy Player (YP-GB1)

Samsung will have this new galaxy player along with the Galaxy player 50 on display at CES 2011. Hopefully this new player will reach the U.S.
http://www.samsunghub.com/2010/12/27...e-at-ces-2011/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

intresting model. i want see it in market.But I want not see it's "reasonable price"

Old 12-29-2010, 04:16 PM

For the average current iPod Touch user, this looks like a me-too device. Sadly, Samsung also maintains me-too pricing, hence the ridiculous $599 asking price on the Galaxy Tablet, a device that felt 2 or 3 times overpriced. I personally don't feel as if the Samsung name can support premium pricing in the same way as Apple. Personally, I'm waiting to see what's coming at CES 2011. Looking at the pictures, Samsung has produced something that would have stoodout at CES 2007. Yes, I'm glad to see Android 2.2 on a Samsung product that doesn't come with a 2 year contract, but I'm also looking for something a little more innovative.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:49 AM

linuxwanabe is totally right, the prices are ridiculous high for their hand held consumer electronics. The price should be low, just like LG did with the cookie, boy did they sold a lot of cookies.
So if the price is right it would be a real competitor for the ipod touch. I've seen some video's of it on YouTube and it looks really nice.
One thing I personally hope is that they have an app which links via Bluetooth with your own phone so you can make phone calls through the galaxy player (just like with the old P2). When they do that, it could be a real ipod killer.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:26 AM

I have changed my mind, probably not gonna buy this stuff, why make it like a galaxy S without the phone thingy. Gonna get me a Samsung Galaxy Ace
it's cheap (+- $€ 250) it's a phone and a mp3/mp4 player. ok a smaller screen 3.5 inch but 5 mp camera with autofocus and LED flash. and for the memory just buy a big sd card.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaasje View Post
I have changed my mind, probably not gonna buy this stuff, why make it like a galaxy S without the phone thingy. Gonna get me a Samsung Galaxy Ace
it's cheap (+- $ 250) it's a phone and a mp3/mp4 player. ok a smaller screen 3.5 inch but 5 mp camera with autofocus and LED flash. and for the memory just buy a big sd card.

Well unless it will support Virgin Mobile, I don't care about the "phone thingy", I'd primarily want it as an audio player with apps.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM

It's finally on Samsung's Korean website.

http://www.samsung.com/sec/consumer/...ail&returnurl=

Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Lets see what Lebellium has to say.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How is it that Samsung gets to throw the Google apps and android market on their PMPs when no one else seems brave enough? Audio specs don't seem quite as good as the Cowon D3 has. 90dB s/n compared to 95dB s/n ratios for one.

Specs page, thanks to Bing Translation.

Last edited by Olley; 02-11-2011 at 07:27 AM.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 AM

I live in Korea and I popped into the local Samsung shop to see if I could get hold of one of these.

Turns out that they are pricing the 16gb player at 459,000won ($410).

Just for reference. Their direct competitor, the Ipod touch 32gb costs $274.99 on Amazon right now. Who exactly are they marketing this to? Crazy rich people who don't have or want a smartphone and would prefer to pay exorbitant amounts for outdated smartphone tech in a dumb mp3 player?

I was quite excited for this, as I really wanted to replace my M1, but considering the cost I think I'll just get a 32gb Samsung Galaxy S 2 on contract with an unlimited data plan for far, FAR less than this will cost me.

I really don't understand what Samsung are doing. First they release the stillborn M1, then they fail to launch the Galaxy 50 (not seen it in a single shop here), then they try to sell off all their Galaxy S phone parts before they become obsolete, but at an outrageous price.

Of course, Korea is the country where, until recently, a Galaxy Tab would cost you $982 if you dared to try to buy it without a 2 year contract, so Samsung seem to know a lot about ravaging their (apparently willing) customers.

I just want to buy an MP3 player with a decent screen and wi-fi dammit!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:49 PM

Hi all I'm very interested in this model does anyone know when its going to be available in uk ?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Samsung Moderator

I bet in May/June

Old 03-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Patience then just patience
Thanks mate

Old 03-15-2011, 09:21 PM

Here are two more websites with information that might interest people.

http://www.samsung.com/global/micros...ifi/index.html

http://www.samsung.com/uk/news/newsR...q=24374&page=1

Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 PM

Now I'm confused, The Galaxy S is the YP-GB1?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Now I'm confused, The Galaxy S is the YP-GB1?
Seems that it is. As I understand, it will be under the name Galaxy S Wifi in Europe, and it will be without TV antenna. I am also looking forward to this model, hope it will be available before summer.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Yes the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 4.0 is basically the same as the Galaxy Player. Like the person above me said other than the absence of the DMB feature they're the same.

Here is a site that speaks about it's arrival in the US.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/s...s-this-spring/

I will definitely be interested in buying one if it is priced reasonably.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:23 PM

In this link
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/16/s...s-this-spring/
they point out couple more differences like an 1" bigger screen (but tft lcd not that super clear) and a camera with flash. Somewhere else I found that it's supposed to be more powerful but there were no proof for that at all.
Now U got me thinking is it worth waiting for?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:59 PM

No, that's the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0. It's got a bigger screen and it's only TFT instead of Super Clear LCD. They are two different players. The 4.0 is the same as the Galaxy Player except for the DMB feature. I'm not interested in the 5.0. It's too big for my liking and it's going to be even more money than the seemingly overpriced 4.0. If you do a Google search you can find a lot of information on both players. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:28 AM

If the music player app is anything like the one on the Galaxy Tab (which it appears to be), it is a troubled device. I can sync all my music from my library to the Tab but it does not recognize them all as if there is a limit in the amount of songs the player app's library will accept. I don't think its the tags because even my Samsung P3 can read them all and we know how finicky P3s are with tags. Using a file explorer app, I can browse to files unrecognized by the Samsung music app and play them but not inside the application its self. Embedded album art (which also works 100% on the P3) is slow to render on Samsung's android app. Some WMA files show up in the library, some don't (still could be a maximum library size limit). I used Mediamonkey to sync my playlists over to the Tab and they show up as empty lists on Tab. This could problably could be fixed in Mediamonkey's settings. The documentation explaining the limitations of the music apps is sparse at best.

I don't think Samsung really gave serious thought that people will actually use these devices as replacements for mp3 players.

Last edited by pgh1969pa; 03-18-2011 at 02:52 AM.