android
Old 01-01-2011, 09:50 AM

Default Vision:M died, any advice?

Hi folks

So my Vison:M died just a short while ago.

What happened was that I plugged it into a laptop, and it started up, but did not connect (as it usually does when plugged in). I saw that the usb was not fully plugged into the connector (the white "block" that connects to the player itself), and pushed it fully inn. The player just went black and now it does not respond at all (no blue led on top, no response when plugged into usb ports, nothing).

The battery was about 3/4 charged, and the player worked perfectly up until this.

I'm not very tech-savy, so opening the player and soldering stuff will probably be out of my reach. I suspect it to be dead for good, and will probably have to replace it, but though I'd just ask, also it would be good to hear if anyone has an idea what happened (I suspect I may have short-circuited something when I pushed the usb fully into the connector)?

This is the second Vision:M I own, and I bought it recently (about 6 months ago) used from a local auction site. The owner told me that he had not really used it at all, and from the battery, the overall state of the player, and the stuff that was on it (very little, but all the Creative commercials and pictures was still one there) I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I got my girlfriend a X-fi 2 for Christmas, and even though it's a good player I like the Vision:M better, so if anyone had advice where to get one second hand please tell.

Thanks for any advice or answers.

Rune

Last edited by RuneBR; 01-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Ok, a update:

After pondering a bit I decided to try and connect the player to the wall-charger (and not via usb), and the blue led did light up. The screen stayed black however and I could not turn it off using the on-off button.

Using a paper-clip i pushed the reset button and managed to get it to start up normally. It seemed to work fine, and I was able to listen to mp3's navigate between files aso.

When I connected it to the laptop again via usb it did not charge or connect to the laptop.

When connected to the wall-charger again, the screen flashed before going black, and I had to use the reset button again to get it back into working order. I accessed recovery mode and tried both the "reboot" and "clean up" options which seemed to work. It did not however remove the problem of the player not showing up or charging when connected to laptop via usb, or "blacking out" when connected to the wall-charger. Also when connected to the wall-charger it does not seem to charge, as the blue led-ligth does not blink (as I seem to remember it doing when charging from the wall-charger).

So I can get it up and playing, but that will not help me at all if I am unable to connect it to my pc, or more importantly to charge it up.

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Rune

Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 AM

Hi,

Its been a while since I tinkered with a ZVM.

I would try using a proper Creative or PSP charger to make sure enough charge is getting into the player. USB can sometimes have trouble for docking and for power.

You may be using the right charger already.

Another option is to take out the battery and reinstall it. This is simply a matter of pulling the plug out of the socket once the ZVM is opened. Be careful, it is a small plug and it may break the socket off the board. Been there.

Other than that, you can try running the player without the battery in it - on wall power only - to see if its some other kind of power problem, or you can drain the battery completely and try charging it again.

Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 AM

Hi ziny, thanks for your reply.

I own the official creative wall-charger, and have been using this. Now the battery seems to be all run down, and the player will only respond when connected to the wall-charger. If connected to the wall-charger it comes alive, and I can listen to music, navigate the files aso. As soon as the charger is disconnected I get the "lo-bat" message, and the player blacks out a few seconds later.

Also the player shows the "fully-loaded" bar when connected to the wall-charger (fully green bar with the power plug symbol), when disconnected it shows the lowest possible charge (small red bar) before dying.

Connecting it to a computer by usb (and dongle) does nothing. The player does not connect to the pc, and apparently does not charge. I've tried connecting both the wall charger and the usb at the same time, the player does come alive, but does not connect to the computer.

I,ve opened the player and disconnected/reconnected the battery, but that did not seem to do anything. I could not see anything that explained the problems (no apparent loose soldering joints or anything).

I have not tried to connect the player to the wall-charger without the battery plugged in, but I'll try that. I'm guessing that if the player starts working (connecting to the computer aso) when the battery is disconnected it is indicative of a bad battery?

I've been reading a lot on this forum and other places on the net about battery related issues with the player, and that have led me to believe that the problem is a bad battery. I've ordered a replacement from ebay, and hope that will solve the problem.

However I'm very unsure about the firmware related issues I've read alot about when it comes to the battery.

I don't know if it matters but the player "died" when it was connected to my girlfriends laptop. The laptop did not have the programs that came with the player installed, but have been used with another creative player (a X-fi2 player). I don't know if something could have happened when the player tried to interact with the newer creative programs or something (I may be out on a limb here)?

To sum up.

- The player only responds when connected to official creative wall-charger. Then it powers on and I am able to navigate files, listen to music aso.
- Solid blue light on top when connected to wall-charger, player does not seem to charge battery
- No reaction when connected to pc by usb, and does not charge or connect to pc.
I,ve let the wall-charger stay connected for several hours, but player dies as soon as it is disconnected (lo-bat, then dead).

Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I too think it's the battery.Hopefully you won't need to down grade the firmware to charge the new one you ordered since it would need a minimum of 50% charge to get that done.Remember direct connect the USB on laptops (no hubs) You also may need a new USB cable. If you can get the player to boot to Rescue/Recovery mode do a Cleanup>Reboot to see if that helps in getting it to connect to the computer

Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 PM

Thanks for your reply coachop94. I,ve accessed recovery mode and performed cleanup, reset, and formated the player (I had all the music on my computer anyway, so I just though I'd try), but nothing had any effect. However I did something very stupid as well (I suspect), by selecting the "firmware" option as well, so now I deleted my previous firmware, and can not install anything due to my pc not recognising the player.

I'm still waiting for my replacement battery, so I hope I will be able to charge that new battery without having the firmware installed.

I did connect the player directly to the laptop when it failed (no hub), but it was my girlfriends laptop, and not my regular PC which I have used with my vision:m for a long time (and has creative media explorer installed). I have tried different usb cables and even dongles (as I had a spare one from my previous vision:m which I was unfortunate enough to lose), so I don't think that is the problem.

I'm crossing my fingers that the replacement battery will solve the problem.

Rune

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Default Revive the dead ZVM

Hi,

You have two ZVM's.

Try swapping the hard drives, or the batteries in the players and seeing what the effect is.

At least you can recover the hard drive data from the sick ZVM.

And you may be able to reinstall the firmware using the other good battery.

Just plan what you want to do and clearly mark which parts belong to which player.

All hope is not lost.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:47 AM

Small update.

I have not yet received the replacement battery for my Vision:M, but I have tried to connect it to my computer without the battery attached. I connected the wall charger to the dongle and the player woke up and went into recovery mode (understandable since I was stupid enough to erase my firmware). I tried connecting both the usb and the wall-charger (wall-charger obviously had to stay connected to provide pover to the player now that the battery was disconnected), but the pc would not recognize the player (nothing happens at all).

I have received a replacement player (a used 60GB Vision:M from ebay), and am happy as the new player works fine, and seems to have good battery life despite it being a few years old.

What I'd like to ask however is:
Could I use the "new" 60gb Vision:M to charge the replacement battery if necessary (seeing as the battery might not take charge without firmware on the player)? Or could I use the fully charged battery from the "new" 60gb in my old 30gb Vision:m to get it back to life (and thus reinstall firmware), or are there any hindrances or dangers connected to this?

any advice or input appreciated!
Rune

Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes you can use the battery from the 60GB player to install the firmware on the other one. I would do the firmware downgrade now before you get the new battery.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM

I'll try connecting the battery from the 60gb then, and see if I can get the faulty 30gb player connected to the computer as to install new firmware.

You write that I should "downgrade" the firmware. As I don't know what firmware the player had in it before erasing it through the recovery process, I feel very unsure of what firmware to install.

Should I install the newest version, or an older version? And where can I dig up older versions of the Vision:M firmware if needed?

Would it be wise to run the "Creative Mp3 Player Recovery Tool" on the faulty player (assuming I get the pc to recognize it)?

Also I'd just like to thank you again for taking the time to walk me through this, it's really appreciated!

Old 01-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can find the older firmware here http://dapjukebox.altervista.org/mod...=dateD&show=10 & I believe the one you should do is 1.41.01 It's the first one on the page. The purpose of using that firmware is some new batteries will not charge with the latest firmware.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Ok, so now today the battery came in the mail.

I however took your advice and opened my "new" 60gb, and plugged the fully charged battery from that player into the faulty 30gb. The player immediately woke up, and showed a full charge on the battery.

It goes into recovery mode however (as I would expect), so I downloaded the firmware (version 1.41.01) and connected it to the pc by usb/dongle.

No reaction, neither on the player or on the computer. The player does not seem to connect to the computer at all.

I tried different usb cables and dongles just to make sure, but no luck.

Seems I have bought a new battery to no avail, as of now I don't know what to do to fix the player, and I suspect it's gone for good.

If I can't get the pc to recognize it, I can't install firmware, and I can't charge the battery.

Well, well, thanks for all advice and help folks.

Rune

Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneBR View Post
Ok, so now today the battery came in the mail.

I however took your advice and opened my "new" 60gb, and plugged the fully charged battery from that player into the faulty 30gb. The player immediately woke up, and showed a full charge on the battery.

It goes into recovery mode however (as I would expect), so I downloaded the firmware (version 1.41.01) and connected it to the pc by usb/dongle.

No reaction, neither on the player or on the computer. The player does not seem to connect to the computer at all.

I tried different usb cables and dongles just to make sure, but no luck.

Seems I have bought a new battery to no avail, as of now I don't know what to do to fix the player, and I suspect it's gone for good.

If I can't get the pc to recognize it, I can't install firmware, and I can't charge the battery.

Well, well, thanks for all advice and help folks.

Rune
Ok since the player is already in Recovery mode do this then see if you can get it recognized. Do a Cleanup> Reboot then try & use the rear USB ports. If it does not work then you have some spare parts you can sell or keep .

Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks coachop.

Tried Cleanup and reboot, but no change, so I guess it'll be spare parts. It least I have a spare battery for when my new Vision:M gets a low battery life

At the moment I'm actually most irritated over not understanding what happened to the player back when it stopped working. One moment it was working great, with the battery 1/2 charged, then I plugged it in to the usb-dongle and it just blacked out. After resetting it the computer would not recognize it.

Seeing as the player still functioned normally (playing music and navigating files aso) until the battery died, I can't seem to grasp what happened. I'm also a bit worried that I'll manage to do the same thing to my new player.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My best guess is the motherboard is bad or the connection port. You could sell the parts on Ebay. The screen the hardrive ect. can get you few bucks.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
My best guess is the motherboard is bad or the connection port. You could sell the parts on Ebay. The screen the hardrive ect. can get you few bucks.
Shoot me a PM if you want to sell it for parts. I need a battery and screen for mine.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 PM

In a moment of rage I punched my zen v m 60gb and now the screen is cracked, any idea if it's possible to replace it?
I might just save the hdd and throw the rest away

Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

of course you can. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...11/_Drkr3ou22E Ebay a good source for parts.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:25 AM

Dont throw it away if you like the player. Besides you might need to punch something again.
It is very easy to replace the LCD. I just looked on eBay and there are several for under $30. The guy that is charging $80 (all-monitors) is charging a bit too much.
I am pretty sure that you can find the directions on this site. If not just go to google home page, click on videos and then type "disassemble vision:M" and you will find a video.
Also like the guy above said, there are lots of people that want that player. It can be upgraded to 120gb real easy.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Thanks.
I sure like the player and regret losing control that moment.
I will try to replace it with a new screen from eBay. I tried to open it the other day but gave up as I didn't have the right tools.