android
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Default Share your WP7 Experience with abi....

I thought I'd kick of a thread for WP7 owners to share some of their experiences with the new OS / UI / Handsets with the abi community. If you are a regular reader here, I'm guessing your either orientated away from Apple products - or at least open to thought of a product that doesn't begin with an "i".

I'm an Aussie with a tech interest (not work related field) and ZuneHD owner. I have never owned a personal smart phone - however previously used a work supplied Samsung Blackjack. My main use therefore was business related - and push email was great with the Blackjack - however other online activities or add-ons were poor.

Aussie's were lucky this time around, in that we saw the WP7 launch marginally before the US. Researching plenty up to and just following the launch, I set out to import a Samsung Focus from the US - which was a bit of an experience in itself originally (see my other thread here linking to this)!

So. As a ZuneHD user - I was expecting a lot from WP7. I'm happy to say I believe MS have delivered.

WP7 meets my mobile social, family and business needs all-in-one. My Samsung Focus (I believe this is hands down the best launch handset) has replaced my work blackjack, my ZuneHD (it now rests on the bookcase not seeing a lot of use) and meets 90% of my needs for topping up a wireless USB Telstra modem for mobile broadband to a PC. WP7 over 3G can meet most of our needs (eBay, email access, basic browsing, weather and tides, general purpose needs and PMP).

Sure - there are some shortcomings and areas that MS will (and have confirmed) they need to improve on for a 1.0 product (they have been detailed enough elsewhere) - however none of these seriously get in the way of enjoying my WP7 experience.

The UI is inituitive, fast and just feels natural. Hubs work well, the photo/camera experience is great (including fast access even under lock) and most of my basic music/media requirements are met by the Zune integration, even if not as fully fledged as the ZuneHD.

From a business sense, I was able to configure the phone easily to access my company exchange server and security policies were enforced seamlessly (setting lock-out pin for the OS). I have yet to configure my sharepoint access, however email and GAL (Global Address Listings) work really well. I love the fact that from the people hub, it is a mere matter of seconds and a few clicks to search my company address book (>1000 people) and save the desired persons details to a local contact that sync's to my live account and cloud. Really clever.

As a phone, the handset and OS excel - with calls, quality and call options all readily accessible and easy to use. Very nice.

I am absolutely stoked with my Focus, and WP7 - and look forward to the CES announcements by MS re: the forthcoming updates - as being the icing on the cake.

IMHO - I think 2011 will be the year WP7 takes off - and leaves android in it's wake....WP7 is a real and present alternative to that "i" product out there that has so captured the heart and mind (and wallet) of the smartphone market today.

Bring it on MS

Last edited by Strider_Aus; 01-01-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grammar

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

**** Bump *****

Thought I'd post some of my first thoughts/feedback/brief review of WP7 and my Focus that I made back last year for those still looking to switch. here goes:

Some inital thoughts whilst I wait for the charging to complete (+1 hr to go). All comparisons vs a Telstra Samsung Blackjack (larger battery in use with clip on back)

* Weight – similar to Blackjack (with larger battery) ~120-125g. Feels lighter though because it's thinner and larger, not as chunky I guess (or just different)
* Fit in hand. Pretty good. Have to hold the phone a little lower down than the BJk as the camera button is located on the lower right about 1/3 up the phone. Very comfy though – left hand hold has thumb resting just under the volume slider (left edge) and middle finger around the right edge just above the camera button. This leaves the last two fingers around the bottom right corner of the phone – snug and safe from any accidental slip.
* Feel/Build quality – It's not too slippery. The metal edging around the phone adds definition when gripping, and feels more solid than the back. The back plate is definately this phone's main wekaness (that I can see). Yes it is plasticky – and feels that way. It also seems to mark up easilly esp. with fingerprints. Nothing a quick wipe won't fix. Yes it marks the phone down – but it's hardly a show stopper like with the Holden or Ford (can't recall which one) about a decade ago which was canned for it's universally hated rear-end!
* Screen – looks gorgeous. Brightness A+ and Viewing Angle is the big A+++ The colour vibrancy is really amazing. Oranges leap out at you like a cheesehead barmy army at a Dutch Soccer World Cup game! The bottom of the opening tile screen is bordered by two picture tiles, Pictures (at top) and Daily Briefing (news I guess) at the bottom. The resolution and definition of these pic tiles look fantastic. I'll be interested to see how pics and apps etc show up and will keep an eye out for too much saturation.
* Out of the box – Make sure you hit up and download the manual off the Samsung USA support site – as this is available and is MUCH more detailed than the quick start guide. Other contents US AC to USB Charging adapter, USB charging cable, Chinese made earphones (look like a Sennenheiser ripoff lol) with 3 diff. in ear covers, warranty and safety booklet, Registration card, some AT&T promo material, and aforementioned quick start guide.

Recommended charge time from full discharge or first use is 4hrs.

There's a start on my feedback....

Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

- Just spent 2-2.5 hours downloading applications and configuring things on the phone. Examples downloaded, facebook, twitter, Telstra One, eBay, IMDB, Weatherbug, Unit Converter, some free games, Adobe Reader, Australia Post, Lyrics, Shazam, Stocks, Translator, Unit Converter, World Clock and You Tube.
Not a bad start. Uninstalled the AT&T apps.

- Trying to adjust settings on all but work email to only sync for new content to hourly min. Will need to check with Telstra tomorrow and see how my data usage is going!

- The User interface is fluid, easy, and natural. Feels very comfortable after almost a year with a ZuneHD.

- Bedtime.

Tomorrow will be;
1. A test of Battery life during a normal business day.
2. A good test of phone ease of use and perfromance.
3. BlueTooth performance in a Ford Falcon current model.
4. Voice Control.

Will report back tomorrow evening. Might even try for some pics/vids tomorrow too if I have time. l8r

PS – Battery shows as about 1/3 down after best part 3 hours heavy usage (no gaming, music or video though).

Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

kk folks. just got home <long day>

Disconnected the phone from the USB charger/Pc connection at 8:30am this morning – and just went critical low battery at 7:40pm tonight (no charging inbetween).

Use today has been primarily business based;
- ~70m teleconference call in car (no charging) with Bluetooth in-car speaker.
- Multiple phone calls (20+)
- Reviewed Exchange and Hotmail emails
- Small use of Bing Maps and GPD location
- Some Telstra One browsing
- Stocks and Weather checks
- Couple of facebook checks
- Use of People Hub to find contacts for calls etc.
- Small amount of Video playback (couple of music videos synced to phone).
- And moderate camera use (photo examples from Melbourne's grey rain weather uploaded later).
- Phone is set for exchange push as emails arrive, and Hotmail hourly.
- Haven't worked out Facebook syncing/push options yet.
- Phone paired nicely with in-car Bluetooth in current model Ford Falcon.

So – Almost 12 hours based on this. Once I have a car charger I will be fine. btw – my Samsung Blackjack high-capacity battery would only last 1 day also.

Not bad for first full day I reckon. More after some R&R, kids time and Dinner

Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

4. Some Pics from first use:

<Don't expect many abi readers to recognise St. Kilda beach in Melbourne on an overcast evening>

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...irlpool/4d.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...irlpool/53.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...irlpool/54.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...irlpool/55.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...irlpool/57.jpg

Old 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

A couple of sample videos (select HD in youtube options)

Old 02-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Does Shazam work with your phone? I get the error that it isnt available at this time. However, it has worked in the past. (i ask this because you installed shazam according to your post )

Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

Yep. Shazam works fine. Tagged, matched no issues (tested 2m ago).