android
Old 03-06-2013, 04:12 AM

Question Should I delete Media-Go Setup.exe? (NWZ-E474)

I just got my NWZ-E474 yesterday and It's good to say my love for Walkman's back I just filled it up with songs, I managed to fill up 920 songs with only 8MBs to spare. The Media-Go Setup is around 143MBs and I was thinking if I could delete it as I don't use it at all (drag-and-drop is much for convenient). I'll prolly be able to fill two more albums as all of my songs are either 320kbps or VBR V0/V2. I might even keep some space free than keep it jampacked with music.

Check out this screenshot.

Which folders are absolutely important? I don't know much about these new-gen walkmans. I was an NW-A805 user and had to use to SonicStage and it was advised to never format the WALKMAN from Windows and so I never did it. I guess its the same with this, as It might stuff up the internal software?

I can live with it there though, but if it's deletable, I'll delete it.

Regards,
XTR

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Administrator

If you've backed it up to your PC I don't see why not. You really shouldn't have to even do a backup. You use drag and drop and can download another copy if you ever decide to change from that. The manual says not to rename or delete any of the folders that the Sony software builds but doesn't say anything about Media-Go setup.exe. I don't believe it can run directly from the player in any case, can it?

If you decide to ever format the player I'd use the internal formatter found in the Common Settings menu. Looking at the manual it says you'll lose all data including the bundled software so I take that as an indication that simply deleting the .exe should be OK.

The current manual is also very specific about not using Windows Explorer to format the player. They advise that if you do to use the internal formatter after. I'm guessing that would be to fix the problems an Explorer format would cause.

I usually leave a few MB free on a player to give it some elbow room to rebuild it's database. That may be pure superstition in this case but I've had problems with other players when I've overfilled them. I figure leaving off a song or 3 "just in case" can't hurt and might avoid a problem I won't find out about until it happens.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, I did one thing wrong, I just read the Quick Start Guide that came with the player, I guess I should have installed the setup.exe to see the complete help guide. Silly mistake on my part.

But thanks for clearing the stuff up, I'm gonna install it and check it out. And yes, If I'll ever format I'd use the internal formatter. I've noticed the lag too but its not much and the player is pretty fast because I usually tag from 600x600.

I'm installing the setup.exe to check it out, I'll update you back.

Regards,
XTR

Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Administrator

I didn't mean you need to install it. I wouldn't. The installation process downloads all types of crap and makes significant changes to your system that aren't easy to reverse. The uninstaller leaves all types of garbage on your hard drive and in your registry.

You should be able to just drag it off the player and archive it. That way you have a copy in case you want to actually install Media Go. The only reason I might see for that would be to have it convert videos. Drag and drop should work for any music files.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 AM

Nah its alright I checked the Setup.exe to see what it has, and your right lol it does contain crap and worst of all it requires Internet Explorer as a must :P

http://esupport.sony.com/docs/portab.../02/01/01.html

I'm checking the online guide out, and yes particular folders cannot be renamed or deleted, I'll delete Media-Go Setup.exe after I finish reading...

Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have Windows 7, you don't even need that Sony app to convert videos.....Win 7 will do it for you. Just go to drop a video on the Sony, and a dialog box pops up asking if you wish to convert before copying. I tried it a couple times with my former S545 and E345 and it worked like a charm....I would bet it still works on this newer model.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Okay so I just moved Setup.exe to my PC and the Walkman works fine, I also learned which folders/files not to rename/delete by any means. Freed about 170MB junk and I'll leave it at that

And yes I have noticed Windows 7 automatically does that, I was copying an AAC/M4A file to the Walkman and it asked me to convert it to MP3. Good to know about it working with Videos, too. Although I prolly wouldn't watch videos anyway.

Good stuff. Thanks to both you. Cheers.

Edit : Oh and one thing though, I used to be able to "Safely Remove" my older NW-A805, but it doesn't appear anymore with the E474, not that it's necessary (I heard it's not a big deal to "Safely Remove" USB devices) but I thought it would have been safer to "Remove it Safely" from the taskbar icon. Any ideas? or is this a newer feature?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR95 View Post
Okay so I just moved Setup.exe to my PC and the Walkman works fine, I also learned which folders/files not to rename/delete by any means. Freed about 170MB junk and I'll leave it at that

And yes I have noticed Windows 7 automatically does that, I was copying an AAC/M4A file to the Walkman and it asked me to convert it to MP3. Good to know about it working with Videos, too. Although I prolly wouldn't watch videos anyway.
Actually, you shouldn't have to convert AAC/m4a files....they should play fine on the Walkman without the converting. But Win 7 apparently doesn't know that....lol. And yeah, that screen's a bit too small for videos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR95 View Post
Good stuff. Thanks to both you. Cheers.

Edit : Oh and one thing though, I used to be able to "Safely Remove" my older NW-A805, but it doesn't appear anymore with the E474, not that it's necessary (I heard it's not a big deal to "Safely Remove" USB devices) but I thought it would have been safer to "Remove it Safely" from the taskbar icon. Any ideas? or is this a newer feature?
The newer Sonys all follow the MTP(Microsoft's media transfer protocol), instead of MSC (mass storage class) and in MTP the safely remove isn't required...just make sure you don't disconnect when something is still being transferred, that's all.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Actually, you shouldn't have to convert AAC/m4a files....they should play fine on the Walkman without the converting. But Win 7 apparently doesn't know that....lol. And yeah, that screen's a bit too small for videos.

The newer Sonys all follow the MTP(Microsoft's media transfer protocol), instead of MSC (mass storage class) and in MTP the safely remove isn't required...just make sure you don't disconnect when something is still being transferred, that's all.
It was just 1 file so no biggie :P I was thinking the same while Windows 7 prompted, but figured how windows would convert it, and it converted it to 256kbps WMA.

Oh so that's what the MTP meant. I thought it was something else. Thank you for clearing that up, and yes obviously I won't disconnect while data transfer is in progress :P

Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM

I actually disconnected my walkman E475 while I was transferring files. It frozed my screen, so I used a paperclip to hit the reset button and all works fine. I don't think there are any issues, so umm yeah...