android
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM

Default Should I Rockbox my V2 Fuze?

So I bought a brand new silver 8GB V2 Fuze last month and I love it so far but I'm not sure if I should rockbox it or not,I tried to read what rockbox can do for me on the site but its too much stuff,but what can rockbox do for me?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Yes you should, click on rockbox in my sig for reasons to rockbox a player.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Everything Adub said 100% agree....link's in my sig too !

I wouldn't even want to use my Fuze without Rockbox....

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey lagoo...your question is kinda like "what kind of car should I buy?"

Like nearly everyone else who has used Rockbox, I simply cannot imagine my RB devices without them anymore. I have RB installed on 3 devices, 2 different kinds [RB Fuze v2 and RB on a Toshiba FSeries Gigabeat].

One of the more compelling reasons to install Rockbox is the EQ it provides, which is among the very best available for the DAP/PMP market.

A nearly infinite number of OTG playlists [yup, hit the newbie glossary in my sig for that one], tons of interface customization options, crossfeed/crossfade and a whole laundry list of awesome-ness will be available to you with Rockbox.

But there is a very small price - you will have to wrap your brain around a slightly different way of thinking about how your Rockbox DAP works. Unlike default manufacturer FW, Rockbox IMO is not designed for the lowest common denominator user. There is indeed some slight effort required on your part.

Are you one of those people?

And best of all for v2 Fuze...

muahahahahahahaha....need I say more?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol I completely forgot about OTG playlists..I tried them out myself a while ago, but then decided that I didn't need them/was too much of a lazy azz to create them, but that's JMHO

Retired Devices:

Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lagoo

It's a personal choice. Do you run Windows on your PC or have you changed it to Linux? Do you eat canned chili or do you have your own customizable recipe?

IMO, if you've read about Rockbox, and still don't know if it's right for you, then there was nothing (or at least not enough) for you.

BTW, Lestatar. Your pic doesn't encourage me to Rockbox at all. Are the games included with the install (thus using space on the player) or are they TOTALLY optional?

Steve

Old 01-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^Steve: RB comes default with a good deal of games, small stuff. Haven't calculated the total size, but the total package is pretty small.

Doom2 for RB comes with the required code to run it, but the WAD files must be installed separately [legal issues and such I suppose] so no waste of space there and, of course, is thus optional
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Steve for a non Rockbox user you show extraordinary Rockbox insight. It really is just plain old common sense, Rockbox really is one of those things that if your reaction isn't, "I MUST have that!", it's probably left alone. If you have to ask if you should, you probably shouldn't.

The Doom plugin can be deleted. It's only 386 kb but like any of the other plugins it's optional whether or not you keep it or add a wad file to run it.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 PM

Ok I installed Rockbox onto my V2 Fuze,I like the sound enchancements so far,they make it have a more "full" sound than my Zune HD.I haven't used rockbox in years,the last time I used it was when I owned a e200,but is the feature to set a jpeg image as a background still here on this version?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats...indeed the RB EQ makes the most out of your headphones....it sounds better than my previous ZuneHD and my current iTouch 4G. I don't know much about theme customization...but I do know it is possible to set your own background, lestatar would be the person to ask.

Retired Devices:

Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lagoo, congrats. That seemed painless

You mean like background wallpaper? Sure, through modification of themes I suppose, but I don't do any of that. McDougal only refers to my so-called "expertise" with album art on Rockbox.

You can also nose around on the Rockbox forums and the RB irc channel - look up posts from dfkt and adubb - I believe they both have links to each in their sigs.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 PM

Ok I'll figure it all out somehow,thanks for the helpe everyone

Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 AM

Its really not that tough...
In the .rockbox/backdrops if you change the name of the backdrop linked to your theme then the backdrop of the theme can be changed.
If you are using kissv2 theme then just replace .rockbox/backdrops/kissv2.bmp with any other bmp file.
I have actually just tried changing between other theme backgrounds so dont know the size requirements if any and also these are bmp files not jpg...

Old 01-11-2011, 04:00 AM

Also if you want to change the backdrop in the While Playing Screen.
Then go to .rockbox/wps/"themename"/"themename".bmp and change it...
But I dont recommend it as there are certain background things which are required for the theme to work...
Try it out if you want...
As always you can just rename the original file as kissv2backup.bmp to save as backup and if you are not satisfied then you can change it back...

Enjoy customizing rockbox...

Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Lagoo

It's a personal choice. Do you run Windows on your PC or have you changed it to Linux? Do you eat canned chili or do you have your own customizable recipe?

IMO, if you've read about Rockbox, and still don't know if it's right for you, then there was nothing (or at least not enough) for you.

BTW, Lestatar. Your pic doesn't encourage me to Rockbox at all. Are the games included with the install (thus using space on the player) or are they TOTALLY optional?

Steve
Reading many of your posts in similar threads, I begin to wonder where your aversion against Rockbox comes from? Did you ever actually give it a chance, actively trying it for a few days at least? One simply can't judge its usefulness and functionality from what one reads, or from screenshots. One has to try it, has to learn a bit since it can be rather complex, and one has to tweak it to one's personal preferences - this can only be done hands-on, theory doesn't help much there.

By the way, the included games use exactly 827kB on the Clip+ and 1.69MB on the Fuzev2, all in all - if that's too much wasted space for you, simply delete the games folder. - Or, for gaining some real extra storage space: in Rockbox, delete the 200MB of otherwise invisible garbage files that the original firmware puts on the player's memory.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Reading many of your posts in similar threads, I begin to wonder where your aversion against Rockbox comes from? Did you ever actually give it a chance, actively trying it for a few days at least?
I'm not really adverse to it, I just haven't really seem any reason to make the move for myself. There are a couple of features that would help my wife, but she doesn't want me to upgrade her Clip. I'm actually surprised that I haven't tried it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
By the way, the included games use exactly 827kB on the Clip+ and 1.69MB on the Fuzev2, all in all - if that's too much wasted space for you, simply delete the games folder.
Thanks thats what I was wondering. I read the posts where people "NEED" a 32GB microSHC card and/or wish the Clip+ came with 16GB internal, and wonder how much space they are losing to games/etc.

Steve

Old 01-11-2011, 07:36 AM

Needing 32GB card has nothing to do with the space getting used up by games. Its just need for more space. Since the clip+ and the fuze are basically players which are mostly used for their audio abilities people need the extra space for storing their constantly growing music collection ripped at higher and higher bitrates. I remember when 128 kbps was the standard. Now its 320kbps mp3 or ogg at 300+ or flac at 1000+. Songs used to be around 3-5 MB those times now I have singles around 30+ MB

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarhash View Post
Now its 320kbps mp3 or ogg at 300+ or flac at 1000+.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....uiet_listening.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Enigmatic, you beat me to it

I was gonna say those FLAC/lossless guys can do whatever they want on their DAPs, but for me, LAME v2 or better VBR is more than good enough for urban on the go listening.

I also prefer to have 3-4x as much music on my gear
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Literally just installled it. Interface seems clumsy compared to original but it's more customizable and you can play games like solitaire on it. Think once I get used to it I will love it. Besides you can always remove it if you don't like it or keep a dual boot. literally took me less than 10 minutes to install. If anyone can help me find a way to disable updating database that would be cool