android
Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If anyone can help me find a way to disable updating database that would be cool
This hack http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...5&postcount=18 works pretty well for that. It's the best workaround I've run into so far.

The database refresh will stop when/if a proper USB driver is written. You could also try one of the builds that have USB enabled in that same thread. Those are patched for USB support. It works some people but not everyone.

I'd also do myself a favor and be sure I had a copy of the manual handy. There's tons of stuff in Rockbox that you probably won't be able to take advantage of without one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM

one question how do i install a custom build? i have access to both ubuntu and windows 7

Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Unzip the the build to the root (drive letter) of the player in Windows. Perform the equivalent action in Linux. I forget what it's called in that OS. Essentially to install a new build all you do is replace the .rockbox folder that's currently there. Lets you test drive various builds easily.

You can overwrite the existing folder. However I seem to get the best results when I either delete or backup the older folder. You can actually do that on the player through Context Menu but most find it easier to do on the PC at first.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:16 PM

done thanks anyway to remove the files folder since the music only shows up under database? also themes downloaded from rockbox utility don't seem to work properly

Last edited by mamamia88; 01-11-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Check your file view settings. You probably don't have it set to "All". Go to the theme site and check which fonts are needed. If any are missing go to Rockbox's Extras site or use the Rockbox Utility to get them. That may not help in some cases. Some of the themes may be broken.

Rockbox really is designed to be a "dig in and create a custom environment" firmware replacement. The manual to assist you in doing that is here.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM

i know i'm a big dig in kind of guy which makes me sad i have to go to work tonight. installed fonts works good now. it displays all my music under a folder called music but for some reason it has a folder called music with ### in front of it. want to delete that. kind of difficult to navigate but think it's worth it for not having to refresh database everytime i add a new song or podcast.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
And best of all for v2 Fuze...

muahahahahahahaha....need I say more?
Are you really able to play Doom with this terrible control scheme? Respect! What am I doing wrong?
Bands I dig: Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Arena, Savatage, Threshold, Twelfth Night, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Transatalantic, Vanden Plas, Deep Purple, Metallica, R.E.M., Cake, and, yes, Katie Melua.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
i know i'm a big dig in kind of guy which makes me sad i have to go to work tonight. installed fonts works good now. it displays all my music under a folder called music but for some reason it has a folder called music with ### in front of it. want to delete that. kind of difficult to navigate but think it's worth it for not having to refresh database everytime i add a new song or podcast.
Just about any question you might have now can either be answered with a forum search or in the manual. Most answers from the Clip/Clip+ Rockox forum will apply to the Fuze V2 Rockbox port also. I'd try that. Besides the answers you need for right now you'll come across knowledge that will be valuable in the future.

If you don't have everything set by the time you go to work just boot to the OF. The Fuze is a really decent player there also.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:25 PM

i know. really the only complaint i have right now is that bookmarks in podcasts aren't automatically updated when i switch to another song like i would like. personally i want the functionality of the original firmware where it bookmarks podcast when you leave and asks you if you want to resume playback when you turn podcast back on

Old 01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ hey as for Doom2, I have only played like 3 times. I throw that out there as a cool Proof Of Concept and Execution thing for RB. Yes,the controls are not the greatest. Still its way cool, IMO and brings me back to the good old days.

Those ### folders? Believe those are garbage folders created by Sandisk OF and can be safely deleted with no issues.

^ wait for confirmation on this though...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 AM

Safely deleted if you want to delete the OF(USB will still work through OF only)
Helps to remove the constant nagging Refreshing database...
I guess you should have less than 150MB on your internal memory but cant confirm that mine is always less than 150 MB

Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM

so if i delete those folders i will have to go back to refreshing database? seems like a mild inconvenience to keep em then

Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM

Deleting those folders will only work if you have 150mb left or less.I deleted them with 2GB left but after that,the OF created those same folders again so I'll just put up with it.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoo56 View Post
Deleting those folders will only work if you have 150mb left or less.I deleted them with 2GB left but after that,the OF created those same folders again so I'll just put up with it.
Not me....I keep the internal memory nearly full, and leave any open space on the microsdhc card.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
so if i delete those folders i will have to go back to refreshing database? seems like a mild inconvenience to keep em then
No. If you have less than 150 MB on your internal memory and you delete those folders the refreshing database thing will be gone but so will the OF(original firmware). You will then have to use rockbox for playing songs.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarhash View Post
No. If you have less than 150 MB on your internal memory and you delete those folders the refreshing database thing will be gone but so will the OF(original firmware). You will then have to use rockbox for playing songs.
That's not accurate at all. The direction's in Progweed's hack workaround works just fine. The ## folders can be deleted without danger. Deleting the ## folders does NOT delete the OF. It deletes files that the OF uses. Not the OF. That resides in a hidden partition even Rockbox doesn't show.

If you delete enough files from the player(easily done from the context menu) then boot to the OF it boots normally. The database refreshes as usual and you're good to go. I know this from personal experience. I would never have referred you to that "how to" if I had not personally tested it and found it to be safe and effective.

Last edited by skip252; 01-13-2011 at 03:58 AM.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:39 AM

Correct.

I have to admit there is one thing I didn't think of when writing about this "hack". (I wouldn't call it a hack. It's more a friendly reminder to the OF to please STFU… )

If you ever transferred some files in MTP mode, these will be stored in the hidden ##MUSIC## directory. Once you delete it, these files will be gone. So there *is* a certain danger to lose data if you utilize this trick. Oh well, MTP mode sucks anyway; one should simply always use MSC instead…

Oh, and I think anything less than 200 MB of free space will also work, I wasn't sure about the exact number when I wrote this down. But yes, 150 MB is guaranteed to work.
Bands I dig: Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Arena, Savatage, Threshold, Twelfth Night, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Transatalantic, Vanden Plas, Deep Purple, Metallica, R.E.M., Cake, and, yes, Katie Melua.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
That's not accurate at all. The direction's in Progweed's hack workaround works just fine. The ## folders can be deleted without danger. Deleting the ## folders does NOT delete the OF. It deletes files that the OF uses. Not the OF. That resides in a hidden partition even Rockbox doesn't show.

If you delete enough files from the player(easily done from the context menu) then boot to the OF it boots normally. The database refreshes as usual and you're good to go. I know this from personal experience. I would never have referred you to that "how to" if I had not personally tested it and found it to be safe and effective.
Yes but till you have less than 150 MB on the player we cannot boot into the OF and use it to listen to music. Thats what i meant by saying the OF is gone. Should have worded it better.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyman9 View Post
Fuze v2 via Rockbox Utility and the bootloader seemed to work but when the Rockbox screen shows up it never gets to the main menu. I tried both the current build and the archived one .
Is the .rockbox folder on your player? If not, you probably only installed the bootloader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyman9 View Post
There are nonporous regularized mats that not only trap the urine on the surface but also retard odor because of the antibacterial substance in the mat.
Interesting!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Quick question about transferring files and the database refresh. Unless you run a RB build with USB support, the only way to transfer files to the Fuze is through the OF correct?

As for the database: I take it the database refreshes each time you boot into the OF right? Even if its just to copy files over.

PS The USB support for RB is just HID driver support right? No special drivers to install? I'm stuck with MSC/UMS as I have a Mac and would prefer to keep this as painless as possible.