android
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Default archos 32, 43 or something else[?!]

i'm trying to decide between the archos 32 and 43[or something else?!], and i'm looking for some feed back.
what i'm looking to have a device do is-
  • play back mp3/mp4
  • decent Internet browser[and on that note, do the archos tablets zoom in?]
things that would be nice are-
  • be over 8GB or have expansion slot
  • radio[pandora?]
  • connectivity to bluetooth keyboard
  • MS word or the like
  • facebook
my price limit is around $200, please share any advice, suggestions, etc
thank you!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM

The 43 is out of your price range @ $245(i think).
The 32 can do everything that you ask for besides the microsd slot (the web browser can zoom in using the zoom in/out buttons on the screen), but you might be annoyed by the crappy 400x240 screen resolution & its capped at 8GB which is really like 7GB because of the OS,etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 PM

definitely 43. the 32 (as is the 28, btw) is just way too restricted. if you can't cough up the 50 bucks, no need to look further. there still are no jack of all trade pmps/mids in the $150-200 out there and i doubt there will ever be.

the samsung galaxy players might be of interest, but they won't be released until later this year (QII) other than that there's nothing much, maybe the phillips gogear connect, still without a release date, afaik.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blcistheking View Post
The 43 is out of your price range @ $245(i think).
The 32 can do everything that you ask for besides the microsd slot (the web browser can zoom in using the zoom in/out buttons on the screen), but you might be annoyed by the crappy 400x240 screen resolution & its capped at 8GB which is really like 7GB because of the OS,etc.
yeah. the 32, the more i look at it, the more i'm thinking...eh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
definitely 43. the 32 (as is the 28, btw) is just way too restricted. if you can't cough up the 50 bucks, no need to look further. there still are no jack of all trade pmps/mids in the $150-200 out there and i doubt there will ever be.

the samsung galaxy players might be of interest, but they won't be released until later this year (QII) other than that there's nothing much, maybe the phillips gogear connect, still without a release date, afaik.
yeah. of course, there is ebay. i can't find the 43 anywhere, though[?].
i really like the looks of both of those...i might end up waiting for them

Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Every time I go into Bestbuy there is a ton of 32's sitting around but have yet to see anything else from Gen 8.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to break down and just get a 32. I would kind of like the speaker and microphone of the 43 for a skype phone set, as well as the 16GB of storage and the SD card slot.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to break down and just get a 32. I would kind of like the speaker and microphone of the 43 for a skype phone set, as well as the 16GB of storage and the SD card slot.
what will you manly be using the 43 for?

Old 01-11-2011, 07:16 PM

I tried out the 32 and 28 in the store, the screen is just godawful, and the 32 kept crashing on me. I'd open the camera take a picure and it would crash. Even swiping screens felt sluggish.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:08 PM

I mostly want a music player, but who knows what else as I find stuff to do with it. Skype would be handy with or without a headset which it looks like the 43 will do since it has both speaker and microphone.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I mostly want a music player, but who knows what else as I find stuff to do with it. Skype would be handy with or without a headset which it looks like the 43 will do since it has both speaker and microphone.
how much are you willing to spend. Honestly, if your only manly going to use it for music & skype, instead of spending the $245+ that the 43 cost + the hassle of actually finding one, i'd just spend the extra $30 dollars for an ipod touch. The only things the 43 has over the ipod is the bigger screen, flash support, hdmi out, & the microsd slot, non of which seem to really be a big deal to you.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can buy a 43 today. Archos has them in stock.

Link to their store.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 AM

Thanks. I decided to go ahead and order a 43 directly from Archos, for the $10 difference from other places at least I know I should be able to get one.

And there is NO WAY I will give Apple any of my money, WhyTF would you even suggest that in a place that is listed as "Anything But iPod"? I work with Apple products at work and they constantly piss me off, they (Apple) never think twice about making features obsolete (even on server products). They will not get any of my personal money because they are constantly sticking their hand back in your pocket for an OS upgrade. This especially pissed me off when they obsoleted an application that is built on a "special" version of Apache (you know, the open source web server???), this happened withing a single year and just outside of our default Applecare so no free upgrade! I do not like the way they do business so I will not buy their products with my hard earned money!

And the SD card slot was the thing that stopped me from buying the 32, if it (32) had a card slot I probably would have gone ahead and bought the 32 because with a card the internal 8GB would have been enough storage, but without the card I'm not sure it would be enough without having transfers far too often. Or if the 32 had a 16GB option, I probably would have bought it weeks ago.

And Archos still didn't notify me that they were in stock, but I know I can receive emails from them because I have the order confirmation.

Last edited by Greg_E; 01-12-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
And there is NO WAY I will give Apple any of my money, WhyTF would you even suggest that in a place that is listed as "Anything But iPod"? I work with Apple products at work and they constantly piss me off, they (Apple) never think twice about making features obsolete (even on server products). They will not get any of my personal money because they are constantly sticking their hand back in your pocket for an OS upgrade. This especially pissed me off when they obsoleted an application that is built on a "special" version of Apache (you know, the open source web server???), this happened withing a single year and just outside of our default Applecare so no free upgrade! I do not like the way they do business so I will not buy their products with my hard earned money!
well this forum actually does have quite a few members that originally disliked iPods but now own and enjoy them. It was simply a suggestion sir, seeing as the ipod touch had everything you were asking for, but the 43 should suit you perfectly.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM

The notify me on the Archos store only contacts the first XX people in line corresponding to the number of units that will be available. So I guess I just stole one from someone, sorry. As of a few minutes ago they still had stock.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Please give feedback on its use, it seems a lot of these newer android pmps has problems with crashing and slowness, the poor experience on the 32 and galaxy 50 has put me off the android dedicated pmps for the time being

Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 PM

Olley says he is extremely pleased with the Archos units he owns and has access to use. I will say that I doubt I will be stressing the OS, when I listed what I want out of it, that is pretty much what I want. The only other thing I want to try is connecting a full size SDHC card reader to the USB and trying to play video from a couple of the little consumer cameras that I have. I'll try video from one of the pro cameras at work, but everything else I have tried can not play those files because no one licensed the Sony XDCam codec. If the Archos plays that XDCam codec without having to buy something, I will be impressed!

I do hope I can get gapless playback from aac+ audio files, if not then I may need to fall back to mp3 files which is one reason the micro SD slot and 16GB was important to me. WOuld have been nice to save the $100 and get the 32 but it just seems too limited for storage. The pictures I've seen of the inside of the 32 didn't suggest that adding an SD connector would be possible or I might have risked it.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM

I almost ordered a 43 this morning, but then decided to wait for the Galaxy if it ever comes to the US. The reason is I already have an S9 and don't actually need another player; but more over, the Samsung has a removable battery and GPS as I understand it. And, the 43's will still be around should I change my mind.

Last edited by Joe_Linux; 01-21-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you use Chrome, and do a Google search for "Archos 43" (no quotes), then click on the link that take you to https://store.archos.com/archos-inte...et-p-5003.html (only works from Chrome), then add the 43 to your cart, there will be a $50 discount for a final price of $199.99 U.S.. I finally bought one, and had them throw in a $20 slip leather case for the 43. Mine is in UPS's system right now.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Wish I had known that last week, would have been nice to save the $50. For a while this was also working with Internet Exploder but never with Firefox.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
If you use Chrome, and do a Google search for "Archos 43" (no quotes), then click on the link that take you to https://store.archos.com/archos-inte...et-p-5003.html (only works from Chrome), then add the 43 to your cart, there will be a $50 discount for a final price of $199.99 U.S.. I finally bought one, and had them throw in a $20 slip leather case for the 43. Mine is in UPS's system right now.

Archos is not authorized to sell devices directly into Hawaii. As such, we can not fill your order.

The following items have been deleted from your order:

ARCHOS 43 internet tablet 16GB

So much for this alleged deal