android
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Default LG not where they wanted to be with WP7

Pocket Lint has an interview with James Choi, marketing strategy and planning team director of LG Electronics global.

They basically say they are in for the long haul - however have not met their initial sales budgets (aka expectations) on WP7 handsets.

Whilst I agree that MS rushed the pre-Xmas launch and didn't get anywhere near the impact they should have with the launch - I reckon if LG didn't have DNLA playback and Voice to Text NO ONE would be buying their phone sat all!

Read more: LG: Windows Phone 7 launch could have been better - Pocket-lint http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3791...#ixzz1B3zidfjb

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

While the Christmas/Holiday season is the peak sales period for most products, cell phones tend to spread out more evenly year round due to contracts. In order to garner more sales, you need to stick it out for the long haul. Compares to today's sales, the original iPhone sold horribly (unsubsidized price tag didn't help).

MS has to stick with WP7. If they drop support/updates within the first year, sales will tank.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:41 PM

I agree completely. Further to that - MS need to push WP7 harder in advertising - focusing on specific capability more, not just "quicker, easier".

example:

ADVERT - Show two mums with their kids playing. queue funny/cute kids event, one mum hits her generic phone, has to wake up phone, clear lock screen, launch camer app etc. WP7 mum clicks camera button, takes shot. Moment passes, WP7 mum= winner, happy snap taken - with generic phone mum asking (can you send me that picture please....and what phone is that you have...?) The mum responds - check the facebook app on your phone - that picture is already ther for you...Oh and my phone is a WP7 of course!

Also - they are going to have to push updates (minor and major) out to owners with some frequency and with some enhancements FOR FREE to get a leg up against android and apple. If they go to GEN2 hardware and stop supporting 1st version customers - or charge for updates, WP& will sink faster than the titanic.

my 20c

Last edited by Strider_Aus; 01-15-2011 at 07:06 PM.