android
Old 01-23-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaalspoor98 View Post
Hi, I'm hacking around a little for the last few days, in short the media scanner of Cowon is the biggest cause of lag issues, disabled it for some time (after rooted) and device works much better, but Cowon media apps stop working after that.

Rockbox ran fine for some time, but now I have various issues, will see if I can compile the latest version by myself today.

Android 2.1 is not ready for media, but I still love the device and it has the guts to be the perfect music player.

It seems 3rdparty audio players have low volume But still one day of the weekend left to play/hack around, will keep you updated.
Thanks for that. I'm following your progress with anticipation. Rockbox is now working on my D3 after I did a full wipe and restore (up to the point where I had Korean menus all over.) Gapless, FLAC and no stuttering for the short period I tested (one album). Should the D3 perform a little better, it could be the best platform for Rockbox ever.

I still think this is possibly the best Cowon audio player ever released soundwise, it's a pitty the software is so "unrefined". Give me gapless and no stuttering and I will be the best advocate of the player.

On a side note, the new 1.25 firmware improve the scanner a little and media application are little more responsive, which seems to back up your analysis. As you pointed, disabling it makes Cowon application unusable. If they could only have an option to ONLY use folder, I think the player could be acceptable performance wise.

I had a bunch of freezes again. They're not as frequent though.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Made quite some progress, finally got adb (Android Debugger) working:
echo "0x0e21" >> .android/adb_usb.ini

Have access to the ALSA mixer (for sound) and it's a software issue that 3rdparty players play with less volume, have now full control, let's see if this is easy fixable in the android mixer..

Working on clockwork boot stuff, but need to compile lots of stuff, still a few errors left, if I get this one working I can use/create custom ROMs. But the weekend is over ...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM

"The BBE settings, etc. are system wide so will work with all players"

Does this mean that I can use the BBE Headphone setting on Rockbox?
If so, I believe the D3 has just sold itself to me.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 AM

Does it have a pentile display?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff1986 View Post
Does it have a pentile display?
I doubt it or surely it would show up in the specs. I've never had a problem with
non-pentile displays, which makes me believe it is marketing hype more than an amazing advance.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM

I believe it is a Pentile Screen. At least, the RGB pixels are not aligned vertically.
Most of (All?) 3.7 inch, 800x480 [Super]Amoled screens are manufactured by Samsung. There will be no exceptions there
I have 2 devices with an 800x480 screen, a smartphone with a 3.6" LCD and the Plenue D3.
By looking closer at the screen, there is more space between pixels, as the small fonts (eg. in the Music Player app) tend to be slightly blurry (interpolated?) with the D3. Not a big concern (for me) though.

Last edited by Setsunakute; 01-27-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finlandia View Post
"The BBE settings, etc. are system wide so will work with all players"

Does this mean that I can use the BBE Headphone setting on Rockbox?
If so, I believe the D3 has just sold itself to me.
Yes that works.. But beware: Rockbox is not totally stable yet on Android, just like the Cowon D3

Old 01-31-2011, 12:10 PM

This statement already sold me on the D3 as well - *if* they upgrade it to 2.2, *and* fix the other shortcomings as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks.
That's it, most likely I will get the D3 as a upgrade to my RB'd D2.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM

I worked hard the last weekends to get the clockwork boot ROM image, but I got stuck on the last step Maybe I should get on IRC. If that one is working we can create at least customized ROMs without the Cowon Media scanner, which makes the device much more useable..

However when you are root with Z4root you can delete/rename those applications manually so they get disabled.

I was able to compile the latest SVN version of RockBox which runs quite OK, not perfect.

Tried everything to get Google Market working, also came really far, Gmail is working.. Market starts but in the ends it fails on connection .

At least I managed to make (my first Java/Android) application which can control the volume unlimited via a cross compile Alsa mixer Wished I could map it to the buttons, but Android 2.1 sucks in that part

English ROMs have just been released on cowonglobal.com , flashing via bootloader doesn't work but via update in settings it does work . Maybe I should dd boot.img to the boot partition to 'convert' it to an English device, but first I want do some more investigation before I brick it.

Trying lots of other stuff.....

Really love the sound, I don't use any of the equalizer stuff. It just sounds great on my Ultrasone Pro 900s. And finally a device again where I can erase songs and play FLAC.

I've also requested GPL code from Cowon, curious how or if they will react, they should by law. At least we should then be able to build some custom kernel modules for SMB/NFS mounting etc.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:22 PM

Nive try-outs
Figured I am stuck at the same point than you about the Market, cannot get a valid response from the server
At least , this is possible to sign-in with a Google account, and then made possible to fetch mails or purchase apps outside Market.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 PM

No idea if it works, but did you try this? - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...r_v5-final.apk

Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No idea if it works, but did you try this? - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...r_v5-final.apk
Thanks for the suggestion! But unfortunately it's for Froyo (Android 2.2)

Old 01-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Oh, sorry - forgot that the D3 is 2.1.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 PM

Default Updated review

Just to let everyone know, I will post an updated review in a few days. May even try the English firmware if available in time.

I still get the occasional freeze and I am very curious if anyone else experiences lock ups or if my unit could be somehow defective..

Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The english firmware is out. Go to cowonglobal.com and look on the right column for notices.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:26 PM

gapps4archos for eclair

Try these links

http://rapidshare.com/files/423872528/gApps4Archos.apk

or

http://www.mediafire.com/?7xkrb2a4go7w9iv

Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaalspoor98 View Post
I worked hard the last weekends to get the clockwork boot ROM image, but I got stuck on the last step Maybe I should get on IRC. If that one is working we can create at least customized ROMs without the Cowon Media scanner, which makes the device much more useable..

However when you are root with Z4root you can delete/rename those applications manually so they get disabled.

I was able to compile the latest SVN version of RockBox which runs quite OK, not perfect.

Tried everything to get Google Market working, also came really far, Gmail is working.. Market starts but in the ends it fails on connection .

At least I managed to make (my first Java/Android) application which can control the volume unlimited via a cross compile Alsa mixer Wished I could map it to the buttons, but Android 2.1 sucks in that part

English ROMs have just been released on cowonglobal.com , flashing via bootloader doesn't work but via update in settings it does work . Maybe I should dd boot.img to the boot partition to 'convert' it to an English device, but first I want do some more investigation before I brick it.

Trying lots of other stuff.....

Really love the sound, I don't use any of the equalizer stuff. It just sounds great on my Ultrasone Pro 900s. And finally a device again where I can erase songs and play FLAC.

I've also requested GPL code from Cowon, curious how or if they will react, they should by law. At least we should then be able to build some custom kernel modules for SMB/NFS mounting etc.

Quick question for you. I'm trying the Zeam launcher on the D3 and it worked beautifully until yesterday. It now gives me a constant Forced Close message. Problem is that because it's a launcher application and I put it as default, it constantly loops: forced closed, closes, restarts automatically, forced close, closes, restarts, etc.

Do you have access to a bootlaoder with the D3? Any other way to access settings and return to the regular launcher? How can you launch an update.zip file without settings?

Edit: Managed to install the update.zip from Bootloader. For those interested one gets into bootloader by holding the play button while turning the player on. Navigation into the menu is done using the sound up and sound down buttons. Problem solved.

Last edited by globiboulga; 02-01-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post
Edit: Managed to install the update.zip from Bootloader. For those interested one gets into bootloader by holding the play button while turning the player on. Navigation into the menu is done using the sound up and sound down buttons. Problem solved.
Glad you find it out by yourself BTW: 1.27 Korean firmware has been released yesterday..

Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 AM

Actually did not work since the player remembers existing applications and settings (or as you mention, flashing from the bootloader does not work at all). No factory reset option in the menu either... Installing the Android apk right now to see if I can unlock it.

No luck again. I can send instructions from the sdk but the devce is not recognised. It seems that the D3 is only listed as an external mass storage device under Windows 7, so can't communicate with it. Dwaalspoor, how did you get connection to it?
- Is there a safe mode on the D3 and does it bypass the launcher app?
- Is there anyway to go directly to the settings app without going through the launcher?
- Is there a way to do a hard reset on the D3? I've tried a few key combinations, but no luck so far.

I'm stuck at the minute.

Update: well obviously, every impossible problem has an easy solution. Installed a zeam.apk installation on the sd card, managed to get the player to install and it again asked me which launcher I wanted. Problem solved. It takes a little patience to press button between the force close boot messages, but all is now good again. Trying 1.27 now.

Last edited by globiboulga; 02-01-2011 at 04:31 AM.