android
Old 02-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1.27 link and features? I'm hoping they'll jump to android 2.2 or 2.3 soon, as that is where the world is headed quickly.

On another front, it looks like the US is getting the J3. Amazon.com has it listed for pre-order. Expensive ($370 for 32gb) but still cheaper than ordering one through exportprive.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-03-2011, 06:33 AM

Eh. Was a bit disappointed when this was announced shortly after I bought a J3 but seems like it was the better choice by some margin. Got a HTC Desire HD for my Android fix anyway. Not sure I could go back to a 21 hour battery after using a D2 and J3. Hopefully Cowon will release a worthy successor.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Hello ! I'm back on abi forums , I'm pretty busy though so I won't post very often...
I'd like to thank globiboulga for the very comprehensive review , it was very hard to read all the way through, I really don't like reading but it sure is interesting and well-written with a few jokes .

There is still one point I'm wondering about though :

Cowon claims the D3 is capable of reading several formats but I don't see .VOB anywhere, and this is very important to me because I have many video clips in DVD format.
MPEG-1 codec is however said to be supported but I'm pretty sure my videos use MPEG-2... Well, let me guess, I won't be able to play those files right ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB
An alternative would be using VLC for Android, but I haven't seen much information about Android application on the D3, only a few games (angry bird notably) and poweramp. If any owner can tell me if they suceed in playing such files let me know ! I'd like to get one for my nameday (8th of July), I was born on the 24th of December so I also get gifts on my nameday, else I'd buy everything within the year :P.

I'm also hoping for FroYo/Gingerbread , it should be my first android device.

And also, I intend to take pictures from my rigs at home to share my audio experience and write a small review of my new custom sleeves for Shure SE420 and Sennheiser IE8 and my new ASUS Xonar Essence STX.
I'm very disgusted by the quality of my father's camera but I'm not going to spend 300 euros in a camera right now. I'll wait until I can get an insane bridge for that price .

Last edited by Thib; 02-03-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Mistake and another idea

Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't believe VOB files are supported. At least not from any specs I've seen.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 PM

Some Cowons can be tricked into playing MPEG2/VOB files (they're the same thing anyways) when renaming them to the MPEG2 Transport Stream suffix - i.e. ".ts" instead of ".vob" or ".mpg". This works with the O2 and V5, maybe it works here too.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Clever tip, dfkt. I saw that it supported ts video files, but I'd never heard of that format. You should mention it over at iaudio's D3 forum.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Did that question come up there? Care to link me?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I mentioned it simply because as people start buying the D3 that question is sure to come up often. Those smart enough to search the web would find your tip and save the need to ask the question over and over (and over) again. Don't bother if you don't want to. Just a thought. I'll be joining that forum if I decide to get a D3. Right now the reviews aren't very promising. I continue to peruse.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting thread whatever happened to it?

Is everyone still updating/hacking/re-wiring?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Only a few people have the D3 as far as I can tell, Confispect. The number won't be growing fast until the price comes down and the software gets better. Until then my J3 serves me fine for media play and my phone serves fine for pocket android apps.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Agreed.

Okay I'll keep check to see if it gets updated. Hopefully knowing Cowon's route it should.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1.29 today. I'd love anyone who has a D3 to try it and see if the audio bug in the music app has been eliminated. Flac cover art now supported they say. That'll be a nice addition if it's true.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would man but it's pointless look at the battery life on that thing.

That's the only thing thats stopping me. Got the S9, J3 I wanted the D3 but IDK.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I hear you about battery life, although I understand why the D3 isn't going to be a J3 match for that spec. For comparison this from the apple store/iPod touch:

Playback time
  • Music playback time: up to 40 hours when fully charged
  • Video playback time: up to 7 hours when fully charged
The D3's rated 21 hours for music or 10 hours for video seem suspect. Apple lists how they came up with their 40 hours (128kbps AAC) and Cowon states their number is conservative, more than likely due to the tendancy for users to prefer lossless files.

Until someone does a useful test, I'll bet if the D3 can play video for 10 hours, it can play 128kbps music for 57 hours. 57/10 = 40/7. WiFi and bluetooth off, and the screen off as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thib View Post
Hello ! I'm back on abi forums , I'm pretty busy though so I won't post very often...
I'd like to thank globiboulga for the very comprehensive review , it was very hard to read all the way through, I really don't like reading but it sure is interesting and well-written with a few jokes .

There is still one point I'm wondering about though :

Cowon claims the D3 is capable of reading several formats but I don't see .VOB anywhere, and this is very important to me because I have many video clips in DVD format.
MPEG-1 codec is however said to be supported but I'm pretty sure my videos use MPEG-2... Well, let me guess, I won't be able to play those files right ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOB
I have one vob file in the music collection I got currently uploaded, it does play HOWEVER, the music and audio are out of sync with the video continuing for quite a while after the music has ended. The file plays normally under mplayer so I presume it is not fault with the file itself.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:11 AM

Anybody knows if I will have rockbox + BBE activated at the same time on the Cowon D3, when using rockbox?

Will rockbox work on the latest D3's Android version (2.3)? All I need is to test rockbox + BBE working at the same time to compare with my Clip+ rockboxed

Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 AM

Yes to all your questions.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 AM

Thats awesome news, dfkt. Ordering one now

By the way, I guess that you'll notice some improvement in SQ compared to the Clip+ rockboxed, right?

And just one more (perhaps stupid) question: if you shutdown rockbox will it stop working (I mean the EQ) or it keeps working in the background along with BBE and the D3's GUI?

Last edited by miow; 10-31-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 AM

Rockbox EQ only works inside the Rockbox app, other apps can't use it - Cowon's EQ and BBE work globally, with every app.

There's no audible difference between the hardware of the D3 and the Clip+ (except the D3 goes a bit louder), but of course the BBE tweaks make a lot of difference.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:31 AM

Yes, I was referring to BBE, not the hardware alone. Well, if RB + BBE makes alot of difference compared to RB only, I will be more than happy, since I LOVE the sound of my Clip+ rockboxed and minutely EQ'd

BTW, very good review of the D3 (as always).