android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 01-22-2011, 02:16 PM

Help ZV:M in XP detected but not recognized ("unknown device"). No drivers, .

Good evening,
I created an account for this particular question (after the long searches here).
If there is no solution, I at least need a confirmation of failed device. So I can be done with it.

It's not my first player and I know my way around gadgets (players especially).
I had this 30GB Vision:M for 4 years with no problems.

In that time I even switched to OSX and managed to successfully connect it there too.
But half a year ago the fun stopped. It wouldn't connect. Since connecting it in OSX is somewhat "fan-made" thing, I assumed it was OSX updates that changed something. There were updates.

Recently I had to connect this ZV:M to my old XP SP2 machine which was fresh after formatting (again).
I did everything the same as usual, but this time:
• There was a pop-up balloon saying that "device malfunctioned".
• In device manager, player is listed in the bottom, under usb devices as "unknown device"
• In properties is says that "drivers are missing"
• For a few seconds, right after plugging the player to USB, it is listed as a Zen Vision:M player in a proper category with an exclamation mark though. But for a few seconds only.
Player is functioning as itself. You can play music etc.

After that, there were hours of googling. Most of the information was in this forum. I've read through the topics and all the solutions were the things I've already been through in the past (when there was no "real problems").
One topic said that in my case player's motherboard may be busted.

To save your time: The player is charged / has newest firmware / I've tried driver re-auto-installation / different WMP versions / w and w/o Creative software / player reset / and other common solutions.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Hi I was having the same problem with getting XP SP3 to recognise my Creative Zen Vision M player as I didn't have my install CD with me and the XP drivers are no longer available from the Creative site -

I got around it this way. Install Windows Media Player 11 if you havn't already. This will allow the install of generic MTP drivers -

If like this PC it still won't recognise the device (it still says "unknown device") then open Device Manager and find the big yellow question mark - right click on it and choose "update driver" - on the Hardware Update Wizard that appears tick the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" - click Next - tick the box marked "Include this location in the search" and type in

C:\Windows\Inf

And click "Next" - Windows will locate the driver and the Zen will now be recognised as an MTP device.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:23 AM

It didn't work - failed to find anything.
Player is still listed in the last category (USB devices) as "Unknown Device".

Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 PM

Hi, I scanned through your post and I didnt see if you have ever tried the player on a windows machine?
Process of elimination might help. First see if it is the player, then figure out if it is the OS...
Thats what I would do. But please forgive me if I misread your post.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 AM

Yes I did. All these tryings were performed on XP.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 PM

Well you certainly have an odd problem and I admire your perserverance. I think that I would have thrown that thing out the window a long time ago. LOL.
You might consider changing out the circuit board.
I have worked on these things for several years and I use the process of elimination to figure these issues out. I start off with the most obvious parts and keep going until I have isolated the faulty part. yours is definitely pointing to the circuit board.
I purchased a 200x digital microscope for looking at the USB port to see if the leads are broken or corroded. It maybe that this is your situation.
Good luck bud.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 AM

But by time now the board would cost more than the player itself, wouldn't it?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 AM

Well, yes you are probably right. I cannot argue with that.
I have not purchased a working player on eBay in a long time so I cannot say.
If you are like me and just like the model and dont really want to change then it might be worth it.
I bought a coupe Archos players to make sure that I am not missing anything. It was nice to see all the bells and whistles but I went back to my simple little Vision:M. The Archos's are sitting on a shelf waiting for me to list them on eBay.
So what I am saying is if you have an emotional attachment to the player it might be worth it. But if you are looking for more bang for your buck, it is time to move on.