android
Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Default help about buttons + Hdd disk

I am new in the forum
anyway, I wish to buy COWON X7 in the future...
so this is my quetions:
1) what buttons there are on the device? expect the touch button of the screen, phisic buttons.
2) anyone which is this device owner here had any problem with him as HDD disk? I heard about problems happend to HDD disks rather than flash memory (ipod touch, COWON S9/j3 etc..) in long term (after half a year), can please anyone respond on this new?
sorry for the worse English
thanx for answers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-23-2011, 03:44 PM

anybody? maybe I wasn't clear enough, the first question meant to be ask if there is any Play/Pause button or next/pervoius button and volume button.. it's very important for me as a player , I don't like to pick it out from my pocket on every minor thing.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM

There are 2 buttons on the left of the player. You can use them to increase or decrease volume. On the system menu you can change the function of these buttons to fast forward and reverse but if you change the function, the buttons don't work for FF and REV. So you can use them only to increase or decrease volume. Maybe they will upgrade firmware to solve this problem.
You can do next track, previous track by touch on the screen.
Hard disk shouldn't cause problems. The iPod classic has been using a hard disk for years. The largest flash drive based player is the iPod touch with 64GB or you can get the Cowon J3 32GB and add a 32GB micro sd card.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
On the system menu you can change the function of these buttons to fast forward and reverse but if you change the function, the buttons don't work for FF and REV.
It probably has to be in key-lock/hold mode for the volume buttons to act as skip/FFWD/REW, same as the D2/O2/V5.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
There are 2 buttons on the left of the player. You can use them to increase or decrease volume. On the system menu you can change the function of these buttons to fast forward and reverse but if you change the function, the buttons don't work for FF and REV. So you can use them only to increase or decrease volume. Maybe they will upgrade firmware to solve this problem.
You can do next track, previous track by touch on the screen.
Hard disk shouldn't cause problems. The iPod classic has been using a hard disk for years. The largest flash drive based player is the iPod touch with 64GB or you can get the Cowon J3 32GB and add a 32GB micro sd card.
IN FACT! I thought about this idea also!!! it's very hard decision for me, I don't like ipod touch which it's huge headache(without sd slot), I prefer the SQ of cowon.
so which of them I got to choose? videos quilty impotant me less than music, and I got only 22GB of music. but it can be a nice feature (playing movies) so the X7 have bigger screen but bad resolution and support less formats than the J3 device. As I said before my opinion about buttons, the J3 have Play/pause, next/pervous and volume decrease/increase.The battery life of both of them are enough for me also, I don't think I need 103 hours audio but I can to be satisfied with 64 hours audio and 11 hours of video(the last fact is true in both of them)
so Factors to consider are: screen size(also resolution), capacity,stability for long term and maybe formats (I using AVI in the most and SRT for subtitles/ I don't have a lot flac...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
It probably has to be in key-lock/hold mode for the volume buttons to act as skip/FFWD/REW, same as the D2/O2/V5.
what is the meaning of the words in the red line in both of your responds?

Last edited by AoyLoyOoyLoL; 01-24-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: update information

Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 AM

By FF I meant fast forward and REV for rewind. Both are not very useful to me. I meant you could think about buying the Cowon J3 instead of X7. As you have 22GB music the J3 will be fine. The J3 has a small screen but it is much better for video than X7. The sound quality is the same but the J3 is very light in weight and nice to look at.
This is my opinion...if I had 22GB music I would buy the J3 and not X7. But it is your choice.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM

thanks buddy

Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM

The buttons DO work as forward and backward. In fact, you can set the device up so that when you put it on hold (tap the power button twice), the volume buttons work as forward and backward, and the 'menu' button works as play/pause. This is GREAT, and it's far easier to use blindly than, say, and iPod.

There are some problems with the Cowon. Currently, most of my songs (or their tags, rather) are messed up, the device freezes occasionally when you add stuff to it (can be easily fixed by re-updating the firmware) etc.

Nothing too serious, and truthfully, it's the best player ever had. The SQ is great, the EQ is great, the videos look great, it's very nice to look at and to use etc. I love it, far more than I ever loved my iPod, faults and all.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiskinen View Post
The buttons DO work as forward and backward. There are some problems with the Cowon. Currently, most of my songs (or their tags, rather) are messed up, the device freezes occasionally when you add stuff to it (can be easily fixed by re-updating the firmware) etc.

Nothing too serious, and truthfully, it's the best player ever had. The SQ is great, the EQ is great, the videos look great, it's very nice to look at and to use etc. I love it, far more than I ever loved my iPod, faults and all.
just for protocol , you spoke about the cowon X7 right?
the last firmware is 2.07 really fix everything?
what about the touch? I heard it's little missing your fingers location...
it's very important for me dude and you help me a lot..

Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiskinen View Post
The buttons DO work as forward and backward. There are some problems with the Cowon. Currently, most of my songs (or their tags, rather) are messed up, the device freezes occasionally when you add stuff to it (can be easily fixed by re-updating the firmware) etc.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 PM

my tags are all perfect on the x7 and on my squeezebox devices whereas some of the tags were wrong on my ipod - one of the reasons that i'm happy with my cowon. i use mp3tag to tag my music if that helps.

i can't seem to get the volume buttons (or the m button) to change their behaviour though. i've changed their function in the settings, pressed the power button twice and still the volume buttons control the volume. am i doing something wrong ?

am i missing something or is it correct that when i want to scroll through the list of artists / albums / whatever to the letter z, i have to spend an age flicking my finger up to slowly scroll down ? it doesn't seem to jump through the letters or do anything to speed navigation ?

overall i find the x7 ui a massive wasted opportunity. the ui is clunky and basic in the extreme. does anyone know of the ui or firmware is being worked on ?

Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoyLoyOoyLoL View Post
Check this one out too!

And here is the official page of D3.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:07 AM

Yeah my tags being messed up was because of Mp3Val, running them through Mp3Tag fixed the problem.

Yes I was talking about the X7. I don't know if the firmware fixed something or not, the device does occasionally mistake your fingers location but it's not a big deal, really.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:34 PM

can someone explain how i can get the + / - buttons to skip to the next track on my x7 ?

i've set the relevant option in settings (i think) but the buttons do nothing at all.

perhaps i'm misunderstanding what this functionality is supposed to do ?

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdo View Post
can someone explain how i can get the + / - buttons to skip to the next track on my x7 ?

i've set the relevant option in settings (i think) but the buttons do nothing at all.

perhaps i'm misunderstanding what this functionality is supposed to do ?
DFKT is correct on this, except for one clarification: The X7's screen must be off also. Even in hold mode with the screen on will not activate it. I think this is a nice compromise vs that the buttons cannot be mapped at all. However, there is nothing like dedicated butons like the J3.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 AM

ok, so i must be doing something wrong here :

i have the following in settings -
M button screen of = Play/Pause
+- button Screen of = FF/Rew

when i press the power button twice (Lock then screen off) or leave the screen to switch off automatically, the buttons do nothing.

any suggestions ?

can i confirm whether FF/Rew means skip to next track or FF within the same track ?

thanks in advance ...

Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdo View Post
ok, so i must be doing something wrong here :

i have the following in settings -
M button screen of = Play/Pause
+- button Screen of = FF/Rew

when i press the power button twice (Lock then screen off) or leave the screen to switch off automatically, the buttons do nothing.

any suggestions ?

can i confirm whether FF/Rew means skip to next track or FF within the same track ?

thanks in advance ...
Try upgrading to the latest firmware and reply back. Hopefully it will resolve your issue. I was successful in remapping my buttons, so it should work properly with your X7.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:39 AM

cool. i wasn't aware that there was a firmware upgrade.

it doesn't mention the button issue in the change log but here's hoping.

thanks !

Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM

ok, firmware upgraded and still no difference.

the buttons do change the volume when the screen is on so they do work.

any other suggestions ?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Are you making sure the screen is off? That is the only way for the buttons to work properly.

Tags
buttons cowon x7