android
Old 01-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Feedback wanted Sansa Fuze Rockbox

I have a sansaclip+ rockboxed, would love to see and hear ppl's views on the sansa fuce whilst rockboxed. What are the themes like, cover art flow etc.

Bruce

Last edited by Adub; 01-24-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 PM

We have a Sansa Fuze Rockbox specific forum filled with threads such as this, i suggest taking a look as there is a lot of great information for you to peruse.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ta, dunno how i missed it :S

Old 01-24-2011, 11:36 PM

I like Rockbox. Themes are all over the board. Most are crap, but a couple are workable. I ended up taking one and customizing it for myself, which isn't terribly difficult, although it can be time consuming learning the syntax for the WPS (while playing screen) file and then figuring out how to work around little idiosyncrasies. (Hint: If you're going to develop or even modify one of the existing themes, do it using the Rockbox Fuze emulator software rather than on the player itself.)

Overall, IMO, the look and feel of the original firmware is more polished than any Rockbox theme is capable of, but of course you have very little flexibility with the OF beyond changing the color. One of the shortcomings that I find with Rockbox screens is that there's no ability to control line spacing. This is especially noticeable with the smaller fonts where lines end up being jammed together.

Another drawback to Rockbox (but also one of its strengths) is that the button mappings and shortcuts can take quite a bit of getting used to. I still find it confusing sometimes after having used it for a month and a half. But like I said, it's also a strength in that it allows you to quickly jump around to different areas of the user interface with a minimum of button presses.

Keep in mind that if you load Rockbox on the Fuze you'll still have the original firmware, so you can easily boot into the OF. You can also remove Rockbox if you decide you don't like it.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanx Carson.

I already have my clip+ rockboxed so i know exactly what yer saying. But i'm missing album art

I'm pondering if the fuze will be a good substitute to the clip+ but with the added benefit of displaying album art!
No that i have crossfade and other shortcuts handy I can't go back to OF lol.
But with the clip+ there is no album art so i wanted to see how well it was done with the fuze.
In your opinion does a fuze when rockboxed still allow for album art in the now playing screen? How customizabal is it (lol spelling)?
Would love some pics

Old 01-25-2011, 12:23 AM

I think pretty much everything you'd want to know is answered by the screen captures on the Fuze v2 themes page:

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansafuzev2

Old 01-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ yep. Best place to see themes on the Fuze. Pretty much what you see on the page will be exactly what is displayed on the Fuze. And yes, you can mix and match certain elements of the Rockbox theme GUIs. For instance, I like some WPS used with other general Rockbox GUIs.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah awesum, u guys been so helpful! Yeh the screenies look good.
I just noticed that the sansa fuze+ has a 3.5mm headphone jack right at the bottom middle of the player, I would love this location as I have a Jaybird Bluetooth dongle http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/media/c...95/j/a/jay.jpg which would fit perfectly, but i notice the sansafuze has it located bottom right

Isn't it also tru the sansafuze+ comes in 16gb variety whereas the fuze is 8gb max (of course both are expandable).

Does anyone know how far through folk are at getting the fuze+ rockboxed?

Old 01-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Ah awesum, u guys been so helpful! Yeh the screenies look good.
I just noticed that the sansa fuze+ has a 3.5mm headphone jack right at the bottom middle of the player, I would love this location as I have a Jaybird Bluetooth dongle http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/media/c...95/j/a/jay.jpg which would fit perfectly, but i notice the sansafuze has it located bottom right

Isn't it also tru the sansafuze+ comes in 16gb variety whereas the fuze is 8gb max (of course both are expandable).

Does anyone know how far through folk are at getting the fuze+ rockboxed?
True.

Rockbox for Fuze+ is very very far in the horizon AFAIK...It takes a lot of time and effort to port RB, especially without any real active support from Sandisk.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

damit! why can't the fuze have the jack in the middle lol

Old 01-25-2011, 11:49 AM

Having the headphone jack smack dab in the middle is actually quite a bit more inconvenient than having it on the right/left, because you can't properly hold your player in one hand without having to put your fingers in an awkward position.

At least that's the way things are for me. ;-;

Old 01-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
One thing I've noticed recently is that the Fuze 8GB is becoming harder and harder to find online. It could just be that stock in the US is low, but it could also mean that the Fuze is being discontinued. If you want one, get it now.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

hmm... I'll think i'll pass, I have a sansaclip+ after all. The fuze+ intrigues me more, i'm wondering how much the navigation would annoy me. For me i most often just play everything on shuffle, or play via genre (it can play via genre can't it?). How easy is it to skip a track? I saw the dedicated play/pause and volume controls, so thats fine, is skipping a track easily done?

Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 AM

the navigation is worth it just to avoid database refresh bruce

Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's it, i'm buying a brand new 8gb fuze this morning from my local shop, it's $120 a bit more than I'd like to pay, but they seem to be dying out. Everywhere else I hunt is either refurbed or overseas that won't ship to oz. Anyway, at least paying the $120AUD will allow me to play with it this morning (it's 7am here now). I'm like a little kid looking forward to rockboxing this thing this morning xD

Old 01-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Bruce, to me, the Fuze+ navigation was the dealbreaker for an otherwise nicely executed device.

In all fairness, I believe some quirkiness with the touch controls/GUI may have been addressed by Sandisk, but you would need to confirm.

If you have chose a Fuze, my friend, I feel you have chosen wisely.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh going with the fuze and not the fuze+

Old 02-01-2011, 01:41 PM

Love my rockbox'd 8gb Fuze V2. love it more with the 16gb micro sd card. Will love it lots more when a 32gb microsd hits a nice price point!

Oh, I bought it as a refurb, and there ahve been no problems whatsoever and I saved a lot of money.