android
Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Sansa Fuze Battery Life

Hello,

So i'm near the end of testing my new sansa fuze's battery life, it has had one full charge from opening then a couple of hours of messing around, another full charge and I left it over night to see how many hours I would get out of it.
I'm using OF instead of rockbox at this time as I want to see if i can get even close to the 24hrs audio it claims. Volume is full and brightness is just under half way (backlight set to 15secs), but seeing as i have hardly pushed a button since starting the test I'm a little bit dissapointed so far.
Just to be clear, I unplugged it on 100% battery, hit play all then walked away (went to bed), backlight on for 15secs then blank/black screen for the rest of the test/time, no hitting forward/skip or any navigation whatsoever. In the morning I had a look at the battery life left and it was 10% at this time, then it resumed its blank/black screen.
Started it at 10:38pm on a full charge, it's now 6:54am and just as I type this sentence has ran out of charge!
That's only a little over 8hrs :S
Mind u it was on full volume. I will redo the test this time on half volume.
I'm now counting how long it takes to do a full charge from empty.

This was a brand new fuze.

So people, have i got a faulty battery? Is this actually what to expect in terms of battery life from the fuze? It's really poor then if thats the case, I will never even see 8hrs as in reality I will navigate more, look at art/lyrics, tinker with Bass settings etc etc.

This is really dissapointing, I already own a clip+ which gets about 7-8hrs (out of their 12hrs claim) and bought the fuze thinking I would get longer life (as it was suppose to get 24hrs) so I thought in reality more like at least 15-16hrs, I think its worse than the clips+ tho

What's everyone else getting for battery life out their?

I know that the sansa fuze is an oldish model, I wonder if its long shelf life has worsen'd its battery expectancy. Can I replace the battery with a better one?

Cheers,

Bruce

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm doing the charge test, started at completely empty at 6:57am, it's now 30mins later at 7:27am and its 52% charged :S

So its charging fast and draining fast... hmmm... i think its defective.

Other info, its a V2 fuze and the test was performed from a 16gb mem card with 10gb worth of music on it.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Could be defective. But I would think playing on full volume would be very draining. Would you really be playing that loud? And what is the bitrate of the Mp3s.Higher will use more battery life.

I do think 24 hrs is way too optimistic. Whatever manufacturers say, I generally half that. You can squeeze out more if you are careful. Like laptops.
Still, if you can return/exchange it that seems like a good thing to do. Try another one for comparison.
I do also wonder about drainage of old models batteries, what state they are in even before you have used them.
Good luck, because the Fuze is a great little player.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh, i listen full volume on all my players generally coupled with er6's :S
Anyway from what im'reading on other ppls players they're getting 16-18hrs normal use, that means navigating, skipping tracks etc. Mine was blank screen for 99.7% of the time. In reality I am likey to get 6-7hrs, even with full volume that is clearly not right.
Mp3's vary in bit rate, from 128-320's, average likely 160-192.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Mp3's vary in bit rate, from 128-320's, average likely 160-192.
Please do the test again with a 128-kbps MP3, brightness of the display screen set to minimum, and the display screen set to dim after five seconds. Set the Fuze to keep playing only that track. SanDisk is claiming twenty-four hours for 128-kbps MP3s. Also, please do not activate the display screen.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with the gang. Yes, it seems Sandisk, like most manufacturers use shitty 128kbps mp3 files as their baseline for battery life claims.

Try as Enigmatic outlines - battery benchmarks are only useful to a certain degree IMO anyway.

Still, if this is a v2 Fuze and you are getting the results you seem to be, I would get another one ASAP. For sure, I always get between 18-20 hours real world on my own v2 Fuzes, using Rockbox though.

Look at the v2 Fuze section here:
http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/SansaRuntime

I battery tested my v2 Fuze way back when and got around 22 hours using v2 LAME files under the OF.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yeh this is a brand new V2 fuze. It's important to note that NO headphones were actually plugged in during the test.
I'm in my second test with half volume. So far 52% left and 7hrs in. Again no headphones plugged in. no EQ and no pressing forward/skip, backlight goes off after 15 secs.
I will try the 128kbps mp3 test after as outlined above.
The chap at the shop is happy to take it back and replace/send away for new one.
Even he was saying no matter what heads i was driving, EQ on, max volume i shoulda got more than 8hrs on first charge. It's doubtful with successive charges I can get anywhere close to 18-20hr real world use.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 AM

One thing to take care of is that when it shows 100 percent charge it is not really 100 percent charged. I own one so by my experience i would say it takes around 75-80 % charge in 2 Hours and need a full 4 hours connected to reach full charge. Will try to get an official source for this fact.

I am a fuze owner, had it for a year now, I get decent hours i usually sleep for eight hours and I just play music and fall off to sleep so it runs the whole time and then i wake up switch it off. Then i use it for some time throughout the day.

Through this absolutely not scientifical test i get it to run for two nights so that is easily (8+8+Some more{around 2-4}) around 18-20 hours.

Mind you most of the time the display is off (during the night).

Update: Could not find an official source, it is not mentioned in the official manual. Take the above advice as you wish since it is not backed by any evidence, but is based on what i think. Maybe you could try charging it for 4-5 hours and then test the battery life.

Last edited by akbarhash; 02-01-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

im still on my second test now, been 11 1/2 hrs so far with volume half instead of full. its showing 21% battery left. It of course hasn't been tinkered with just the odd chekcing the % every 2 hrs or so. It hasnt been connected to heads either. I predict it will pack in around about the 13th hr, no more I would say.

So 13hrs with screen predominatly off, few presses and half volume (no eq) and not driving any heads, still pretty bad tho right? On settings like this I should be getting over near 20 right?

I did however start it at its '100%' charge quite soon (i.e. I kept checking it every 10mins or so and once it got to 100% I started the test). I have alos noticed that it dropped to 65% ish quite quickly so again yer theory might be right. Sansa does say 3hrs for max charge tho.

What are the dangers of over charging (alot). For example, lets say 3hrs is max, but u've been doing 5hrs all the time thinking its better when in fact its not, then u have been over charging 2hrs every recharge. Is that bad?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It seems to be staying at 21% for a long time now (bout an hour).

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM

There is no problems with overcharging. Once the processor reads the battery is full it will stop charging,
I know i am contradicting myself with the above statement but I have had the fuze for over a year there are time i have left it charging for a long long time (2 Days Straight, as i was burning in my s4, don't look at me like that i don't generally believe in burn in but with the s4 they really did change, That one time I clocked 138 hrs continuous run time on rockbox haha) there has been no effect on the battery i still get around 20 hrs, i keep the brightness very low just one notch over the minimum.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I did however start it at its '100%' charge quite soon (i.e. I kept checking it every 10mins or so and once it got to 100% I started the test). I have alos noticed that it dropped to 65% ish quite quickly so again yer theory might be right. Sansa does say 3hrs for max charge tho.
Exactly what i am talking about, if i charge it for less time it falls to 60-70 very quickly but when i charge them for like 4 hrs then it stays a bit longer in the 80% region(the nineties just vanish anyways)...

These are just suggestions you could always just replace the device for satisfaction and try on the other model...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
It of course hasn't been tinkered with just the odd chekcing the % every 2 hrs or so.
You might be better off plugging in headphones. Any activation of the display screen, no matter how little, is going to eat into the battery life.
Quote:
So 13hrs with screen predominatly off, few presses and half volume (no eq) and not driving any heads, still pretty bad tho right?
No equalizer = Normal? It is possible to also use Custom and to set all the bands to 0. You will probably be better off with Normal. Is Replay Gain set to Off? Is Pre-Gain set to 0.0 dB? Are you using the latest firmware?
Quote:
On settings like this I should be getting over near 20 right?
It is probably going to depend a lot on the bit rate. Since no one knows the bit rate of the file or files—you have given us a range of bit rates—it is hard to say. This is why the test should be done on only one bit rate. Please see, for example, http://www.sonyinsider.com/2008/08/1...aland-website/.
Quote:
I did however start it at its '100%' charge quite soon (i.e. I kept checking it every 10mins or so and once it got to 100% I started the test).
I think you should have waited until the yellow charging indicator stopped flashing.
Quote:
What are the dangers of over charging (alot).
There is probably no danger. If, however, you are going on, say, a two-week vacation, it is probably a good idea to unplug.
Quote:
For example, lets say 3hrs is max, but u've been doing 5hrs all the time thinking its better when in fact its not, then u have been over charging 2hrs every recharge.
If you want a full charge, waiting until the yellow charging indicator has stopped flashing probably will indicate that a full charge has been achieved.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM

I guess you are talking about some other model there is no yellow charging indicator on the fuze.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbarhash View Post
I guess you are talking about some other model there is no yellow charging indicator on the fuze.
On PDF page 12 of http://www.sandisk.com/media/343157/...m_0809_eng.pdf:
Quote:
7 Charging Indicates player is being charged.
Incidentally, I made a mistake in my previous post. The charge indicator does not flash while charging. It does, however, go on when charging and goes off when finished charging. The battery indicator does flash while charging. Sorry for the mistake. I rarely use SanDisk’s firmwares now.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Oh that yellow light sorry so long since i used the OF.
I thought some LED.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The battery will behave better after around 3 or 4 cycles of being mostly depleted. Charging might be more complete using a 1 amp AC usb charger rather than a pc.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The battery will behave better after around 3 or 4 cycles of being mostly depleted. Charging might be more complete using a 1 amp AC usb charger rather than a pc.
Um, no. The charging will go faster, but it will not be more complete.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

The reason you're getting such shitty battery life is because you're draining the battery incredibly fast by putting the screen brightness that high. No one does that, except idiots. Just keep your brightness down and all should be fine.

Also, please refrain from double posting and bumping old threads, it's annoying as fuck. (yayminimodding)

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Overlord Nadrian,

Please read all the info before commenting, my screen has been BLANK for 99% of the time during the tests I have done so far done so your comment has helped very little.
As for double posting and bumping old threads, well excuse me for trying to be involved with the abi community... :S

Anyway, to get back on track.

Last night I said I was predicting a 13hr life cycle with the same test i did initially (see first post conditions) with the only difference being half volume instead of full. Well... my prediction was way wrong, I got 18-19hrs. What was curious is that for 5-6hrs it flucuated between 10-21% i.e. it was 21% then went to 15%, 10% then back to 21% and did that alot for the remainding 5hrs.

I don't mind leaving headphones out and activating the screen a whopping 6 or so times during the whole 18-19hr test as this is at least creating a more 'real world' usage, if i had volume set to minimum I might have been able to get close to the claimed 24hr mark. I'm starting to think my battery is ok, and it was just needing a good couple of charge/drain cycles (and the first drain wasn't a full drain despite it saying so, so we'll see.)

So... that's quite a difference from my original test using full volume but all other conditions the same (again refer to first post to get more info on what my conditions were). I simply wanted to repeat the test and see if JUST changing the volume made a difference, and it seemed it whacked an extra 10hrs life time on it!

So why did I only get 8hrs on that initial run? Well i'm going to repeat the SAME test again as i did earlier using full volume again (as irl I have it full all the time), this time I will charge an extra 2hrs past it reading 100% as I think akbarhash is right about the full charge thing (the erratic reading of the last 6hrs of the test proves I can't trust what it says, when it was reading 21% in reality it was more like 50% etc).
I will still leave brightness at half way (as I am not navigating, skipping tracks, just checking its battery level once every 4hrs or so) as i want to keep my original conditions THE SAME at this point to see if the longer charge and subsequent charges>draining have made a difference. I will also therefore still let it run randomly through my collection (which are various mp3's ranging from 128-320s). I will keep an eye out for the 'lighting bolt' icon to dissappear completey before starting the test as opposed to navigating to the Info and checking it's percentage (still plan for a good 5hr charge time tho).

Using latest firmware. EQ is off, EQ is set to normal, no messing with any bands or presets. Replay gain i didn't check, I will leave it the same as it was before tho.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 02-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.