android
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 AM

I'm pretty sure you battery is alright. As you pointed out yourself: Battery drain is far from linear with the Fuze. The first 5% or so deplete *very* quickly, but it takes a long time to deplete the last 10-20 percent.

In Rockbox I get nearly 20 hours under normal conditions, which in my case means MP3 @192 kbps, no EQ, crossfeed and compressor turned on, backlight brightness at 3/21.
Bands I dig: Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Arena, Savatage, Threshold, Twelfth Night, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Transatalantic, Vanden Plas, Deep Purple, Metallica, R.E.M., Cake, and, yes, Katie Melua.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

11hrs in now, under the SAME conditions that gave me only 8hrs first time around with - it claims - 36% left. If that's anything to go by I should get another 8-9hrs from the remainding 36%.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 02-02-2011 at 05:17 AM.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just saw where you said you always listen to it at full volume What headphones do you use? This cannot be good for your ears.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM

Nice to hear that you are getting decent battery on your fuze, maybe its time to stop the rigourous testing and enjoy some tunes.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 AM

uhm bruce... you do know how uncharged/not prcharged li-po work?

you need to fully charge them and they will unfold their potential capacity not until a few charges in. full draining them isn't a good idea though, this will actually hurt lithium based batteries.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

My (recently bought) Sony has required a number of charges to get the most out of the battery life.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Marvin, I use ER6's http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx and I still want it louder lol. I still seem to have good hearing, been a couple of years since i had a test last but I have been listening to loud music since i was 13 (I'm 32 now). I think if I run into hearing problems due to listening to music loudly it will come later in life than right now i.e. the damage has been probably done already if any is to occur.

@akbarhash, yes i'm now STILL in my third and final test which is a repeat of the original test (fuze at max volume), it's still going and this is the 18th hour.
The most acceptable theory to explain the massive difference between getting only 8hrs first test/time and 18+hr the third test/time is that the 1st charge wasn't a full proper charge even tho it read 100%.
Your theory that when it says 100% it isn't 100% sounds right. On this third test I charged for a full 5hrs before commencing the test and this time checked it periodically and saw it was hovering in the 80% quite a bit and took a LONG time till it fell to the 60% mark whereas test 1 it fell to 60% in 5 mins.
I also tried to keep an eye on the little 'lightning bolt' icon to see if it ever stopped blinking and dissapeared during recharge (as advised). Even on 5hrs of charging it never did, and the battery indicator was also still blinking at 3/4 full, pull cable out and it becomes full tho.

Bottom line is this. Sansa is WRONG to say charge maximum of 3hrs, it clearly needs more to hit that 20hr mark playback under normal use. Allow a few recharge cycles before crying "DEFECTIVE BATTERY! (such as I did )". I was stunned that I got only 8hrs to begin with but by the 3rd recharge am now hitting 18+ hrs. Ignore all battery info such as % or icon, it is nowhere near accurate (so what's the point then really). During my tests I have seen it stay at 21% for hours which if we calculate it over the whole duration was more like 50% at that time.

@deadohiosky, I was simply just following instructions in the sansa manual. It says to do a full charge before use, so I did. But this is the point, after 3hrs of an initial charge where it saad 100% it was in actual fact not a full charge (more like 60%). Then I rockboxed it (tho no tests were done in RB, they were all done with OF), did a little tinkering (half hour) and another small recharge to get it back to '100%', then began the first test (where I only got 8hrs). Draining it empty and then doing 5hr recharges has seemed to do the best to get it to perform normally again.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
@Marvin, I use ER6's http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx and I still want it louder lol.
The recommendation is less than 85 dB.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hear...se.html#sounds.

Prolonged exposure to high sound levels is guaranteed to cause permanent hearing loss.
Quote:
I also tried to keep an eye on the little 'lightning bolt' icon to see if it ever stopped blinking and dissapeared during recharge (as advised). Even on 5hrs of charging it never did, and the battery indicator was also still blinking at 3/4 full, pull cable out and it becomes full tho.
This probably means that the Fuze was only partially charged. Did you charge via a computer or an AC adapter?

From PDF pages 12 and 13 of http://www.sandisk.com/media/343157/...m_0809_eng.pdf:
Quote:
Some low-power USB ports may not provide enough power to charge the Sansa player.
Quote:
The battery level indicator will blink while charging.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have no means of charging through a AC adapter (as I just go the device) but i did charge via a laptop when it was off but the laptop itself was connected to power this seemed to work (like an ac adapter via laptop), I noticed that it didn't charge at all though my front usb ports on my desktop pc (as it said it might not in the manual which u also pointed out).

And yes my ears are probably doomed sigh... but they hear ok right now... what? did u say sumthing?

I'm saying that even after 5hrs of recharge - right at the end of recharge - the bolt never disappeared and the battery indicator wasn't quite full, disconnect usb and the battery indicator goes full just not during charge. 5hr recharge has given me almost 21hrs play at max volume :S so i think it's safe to assume it was full even when the dumb icons said otherwise. Like i said above IGNORE all % and battery indication icons and what not, completely useless really, they lie about what charge really remains of the device, lie when its fully charged (i.e. the settings>info battery % remaining) etc. Charge for 5hrs via usb/laptop or maybe a bit less for AC and u should have had a good fullcharge.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM

you need one of those

bought one from exportprive.com for cheap along with the rearth case for my Cowon J3. very good investment as decent adapters here in germany are more expensive than importing one from a country thousands of miles away. crazy world were living in.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
you need one of those

bought one from exportprive.com for cheap along with the rearth case for my Cowon J3. very good investment as decent adapters here in germany are more expensive than importing one from a country thousands of miles away. crazy world were living in.
I have #22 in that amazon link.....works great!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So third and final battery test done.

I got a strange but pleasent surprise of 23hrs 56mins :S

I just got to do a quick summary cuz thats a crazy time.

1) open sansa fuze packaging.
2) charge fuze via desktop USB ports. Doesn't work.
3) charge fuze via laptop usb port whilst the laptop was switched off but connected to mains via AC (sorted charging away nicely)
4) Charge finished in just under 3hrs. Navigated to settings>info and saw battery power at 100%
5) installed rockbox, did sum configging and recharged again to 100% (not long maybe half an hour was needed)
6) started first test (uisng OF not RB) this involved;

a) playing 10gb worth of mp3's varying in bit rate (128-320) from a 16gb microsd card (no files on internal mem).
b) No EQ
c) Volume max
d) Brightness set to midway
e) Backlight set to turn off after 15secs.
f) Playing all on repeat
g) No headphones plugged in
h) Periodically every 3hrs check device status

7) got just over 8hrs
8) did another 'only' 3hr charge (same method as above) and repeated test again this time volume set to halfway.
9) got 18hrs
10) charged again but this time for 5hrs and set volume back to maximum again and got 23hrs 56mins :S

Seems to be getting better battery life on successive charges (no surprise their) and not using headphones has probably accounted for a lot of the extra hours im seeing, especially the third run.

I just never expected to get that many when initially I got just 8hrs, but thats because it was never fully charged to begin with. SANSA LIE!!

Next is a field test lol. I will try with heads and using rock box. I wonder if RB has a way of traicking playing time, i think it does...

Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I wonder if RB has a way of traicking playing time, i think it does...
Yep...Battery Benchmark plugin.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I REALLY hate to keep this thread going but I'm now experiencing a new major issue and really need some help.

After the 3rd test where I got 23hrs out of the fuze I did another 5hr recharge. I then turned the device off (it was of course reading 100%).. The next day I went to have a look at it and it was so empty of charge it would not switch on.
Thinking that I had indeed 'dreamnt' of recharging the device (i'm 32 after all with two kids, reality and fantasy often get intertwined) I did another recharge from 4pm to 9pm last night. Again it was reading 100% and I remind you all that it was after this type of long recharge that I was able to get almost 24hrs of continuous play on max volume.
Anyway this morning the battery indicator was reading 21%
I know I stated above that you cannot trust the indicator but because the day before the device wouldn't even switch on I'm likey to believe that it is sitting low at this point in time.

Point is, the fuze is seeming to LOSE MORE POWER OFF than on. wtf!? 9pm last night (it is now 6:46am as i type this) it was 100%, had i kept it ON the whole time by this time in the morning it would have had WAY MORE battery life that it does now. It is losing recharge FAST off. Another few hours and it will not switch on :S

SO summary:

1) 5hr recharge gives almost 24hrs of continous playback
2) 5hr recharge followed by turning the device off (it reads 100% before tunring off of course) and its dead the next day (or very low), i.e. in about 12hrs of being off it will have lost all of its recharge :/

I'm at a complete loss. This is very odd.

I think i must take it back and try another, can anyone offer a theory as to what's going on?

Ed

What is going on?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I never bought into it needing 5 hours to recharge completely, unless it's charging on a really weak port, like 350mAh. So I'm guessing that, as I said in another thread, that this one is indeed defective and you should return it.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh cheers Marvin.
Still i am curious over how the defectiveness is working. Losing 50% more power faster off than on? Isn't that very weird!?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sure is....you absolutely sure it was off?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

definately. and thats the second time like i said.

1) got a whopping almost 24hrs out of the device on a 5hr charge (max volume). was VERY HAPPY
2) battery of course was completely empty after test so did another 5hr recharge. read 100% on the 5th hour of recharge. turned device off as planned to use it in a couple of days time.
3) went to have a look at the device some 15hrs later, wouldn't switch on. Confused I summised i musn't have recharged it after all so did so again giving it a 5hr recharge.
4) checked to make sure before turning it off last night that it was reading 100% charge. Turn device off at 9pm.
5) went back t make sure device was off at 10pm, definately off lol
6) switched it on this morning at 7am (10hrs later) and it was reading 21%
7) now I am sad as I realise that I DID recharge first time when i thought and that if i leave it swithced off long enough it will lose all of its charge (probaly around 12hrs).

So weird.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

something else that is probably relevent.

since i got the device (last saturday) I had not had it OFF for any long period of time between my testings.

1) open device
2) charge device (3hrs)
3) run 1st test - max volume (8hrs)
4)recharge device (3hrs)
5) run 2nd test - half volume) (18hrs)
6) recharge device (5hrs)
7) run 3rd test - max volume (24hrs)
8) recharge device (5hrs)
9) switch off device (first time since opening)
10) try to switch device on some 15hrs later, won't switch on
11) recharge device 5hrs
12) switch off device (second time since opening)
13) switch on 10hrs later, battery at 21%

It is losing charge twice as fast off than on :S

NB it was also very dead when i got it first, wouldn't even switch on from out of the packet, needed charge first.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
something else that is probably relevent.

NB it was also very dead when i got it first, wouldn't even switch on from out of the packet, needed charge first.
This says it all. These batteries don't like being totally drained, and this one sat in its box so long that it was totally drained....so it was probably doomed before you even got it.