android
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Contributing Editor

Default Cowon D3 priced!!!

Cowon D3 Plenue 32 GB 3.7-Inch MP3 Player-$369.99

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-3.../dp/B004JKNEJ6

Technical Details
3.7? AMOLED Capacitive Touch screen, 16 million colors, res. 800x480, ultra portable
Play all your digital entertainment: movies, TV shows, photos and music
Supports MP3/2/1, WMA, WAV, ASF, FLAC, APE, M4A and OGG Vorbis audio formats;full HD 1080p Video playback
Bluetooth, MicroSD Card Slot, G-Sensor, Built-in Speaker, internal microphone and TV-out supporting composite connections & HDMI
Maximum 10 hours of video playback and maximum 21 hours of audio playback

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks for posting ... a little pricey imo, cha-ching, the 32 GB J3 is starting to look like a bargain

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Thanks for posting ... a little pricey imo, cha-ching, the 32 GB J3 is starting to look like a bargain
very true. i find $100 upgrade cost way too high since you have to compromise on battery life and the firmware isn't anything to shout about. $40, i could live with that but $100 to me seems like a rip off.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 AM

Yeah thats about $140 too much for a Cowon player. Either they are really confident in a iPod Touch competitor, or they're taking advantage of all the hype around it on the Internet.
All it needs is a camera, and the ability to play current gen games.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Give it a month or so after it actually shows up and you should see Amazon marking it down periodically. Right now the price is for early adopters who would pay extra for the privilege of being first-to-own.

Compared to the $250 Archos 43 you get twice the memory, amoled capacitive multitouch screen, FM radio, The J3's music app essentially including Cowon's EQ presets and user settings.

As far as I can tell, there is no Market app on the D3, except for a Korean-only one on Korean models. Android 2.1 at the moment. No local network access to media files either.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 PM

Only the 32 GB version?

Old 02-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Give it a month or so after it actually shows up and you should see Amazon marking it down periodically. Right now the price is for early adopters who would pay extra for the privilege of being first-to-own.

Compared to the $250 Archos 43 you get twice the memory, amoled capacitive multitouch screen, FM radio, The J3's music app essentially including Cowon's EQ presets and user settings.

As far as I can tell, there is no Market app on the D3, except for a Korean-only one on Korean models. Android 2.1 at the moment. No local network access to media files either.
i would love amazon.com to do that but i don't think that is going to happen. the price of the J3 has been relatively stable for almost a year now, actually the price even climbed from $270 to over 280 now. (and it comes directly from cowon america or rather jetmall.net)

this price could be a placeholder but i don't think it's going to decrease by much if at all.

you are right about the other stuff though...still in comparison to the J3 i don't think that $100 is warranted.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Advanced MP3 Players, who usually have pretty keen prices here in the UK, are showing a price of £279.00 (approx US$450.00) for an anticipated ship date of 15th Feb. Ouch.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post
Advanced MP3 Players, who usually have pretty keen prices here in the UK, are showing a price of £279.00 (approx US$450.00) for an anticipated ship date of 15th Feb. Ouch.
yeah, and that's the $40 (or in that case £) i was talking about, deviding it from a Cowon J3, which costs £239 atm. amp3 has the D3 listed for some days now.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM

Wow. $50 more than in iPod Touch :|

Old 02-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I'm staritng myself to get a bad taste for this myself. At first I was very excited, but I tihnk the MSRP is outlandish. The iPod Touch has a lot going for it, especially with the new custom EQ app. I didn't listen to the D3 as of yet but I stopped at B&H Photo for a little while and auditioned the J3. It's a very fine piece of engineering, but even with MACH Bass enabled it didn't sound too far off from my iPod Touch with EQu running.

Regardless, I am still waiting for the X7 to be available in my neck of the woods.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:57 PM

As usual, overpriced with less features.

It's no wonder Apple continues to make a buttload of money off the iPod Touch... no-one is serious with their own devices when it's buggy, lacks features and incredibly is MORE expensive to boot. What a joke.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:59 PM

How does the D3 have less features than the iPod Touch?

Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
How does the D3 have less features than the iPod Touch?
Good question. IMO both players have virtually the same set of features, but the edge for music must go to the D3.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Straight up the D3 toasts the touch in the EQ and sound enhancements. The games and apps are a "gimme" on both, so that's even. Even my iPhone, as clean sounding as I my feel it is, lacks half the SQ of a Cowon. Face facts, I personally would NEVER go and recommend an iPod touch OR iPhone for audio sound quality. Not compared to a Cowon player, even w/all the EQ apps popping up for the touch & iPhone.

I just hope they lower the price to a reasonable & consumer friendly range to compete w/the touch,...

Old 02-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Straight up the D3 toasts the touch in the EQ and sound enhancements. The games and apps are a "gimme" on both, so that's even. Even my iPhone, as clean sounding as I my feel it is, lacks half the SQ of a Cowon. Face facts, I personally would NEVER go and recommend an iPod touch OR iPhone for audio sound quality. Not compared to a Cowon player, even w/all the EQ apps popping up for the touch & iPhone.

I just hope they lower the price to a reasonable & consumer friendly range to compete w/the touch,...
Lacks half the SQ of a Cowon? With the two EQ apps, I wouldn't go quite that far. Do I think the i9 sounds better than my Touch with the two EQ apps? Yes, I do....but your quote makes it sound like the iPhone4/Touch4G are like Cobys compared to Cowons, and I think that's overstating things a bit.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you take the "Stock" players on both devices, considering the apps on the iPhone and touch KILL the battery life mighty quickly, then the Cowon SQ is TWICE as good. I talking about onboard,...and the Cowon players are that much better.

And yes, they ARE the coby's of this SQ comparison,...unless you can get a Rockbox app on them,...

Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
... Even my iPhone, as clean sounding as I my feel it is, lacks half the SQ of a Cowon. ...
Thatís an exaggeration if Iíve ever heard one, donít get me wrong, Iíve been in the Cowon camp for a long time now and I do prefer them over many players but if you volume match the two with no enhancements I bet it would be hard for most to pick the difference. Now if weíre talking enhancements Iíd pick rockbox first, cowon second and Iím a happy camper

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With the EQ off both are equal, when volume matched. When the EQ goes on, all bets are off. Test your son's iPod WG (it must be a touch),...and also notice the lowering of volume when the EQ is engaged. The SQ then is totally different between the two devices,...and I'm talking "STOCK" media players, NOT purchased & battery eating apps either. The classic, even with the presets, I strangely LUV the SQ of the classic.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
If you take the "Stock" players on both devices, considering the apps on the iPhone and touch KILL the battery life mighty quickly, then the Cowon SQ is TWICE as good. I talking about onboard,...and the Cowon players are that much better.

And yes, they ARE the coby's of this SQ comparison,...unless you can get a Rockbox app on them,...
In all fairness, the Rockbox EQ is 5 bands. It works very, very well....I've been very enamored of it, as you well know, and I wouldn't touch my Sansas if it didn't work on them. But there are 7 bands with the Equalizer app, that are just as customizable as the RB one. I'd give the edge to Rockbox if you're a crossfeed guy, but I'm not one....so EQ to EQ, it's a toss-up.(at least rockbox would give you replaygain though)

I have not done any real battery drain tests on the Touch with the Equalizer app, but I don't think it's anywhere near the battery hog that enabling wi-fi is. The D3's battery life doesn't look so hot at all.....21 hours audio? I think even using Equalizer the Touch would best that, it's normally rated 40 hours.

So I'll grant you that out of the box, no external apps installed, the Cowon sound is significantly better than the Touch if you don't subscribe to the "EQ is bad" mindset....using the effects and EQ, and using the app on the Touch, I would still rate the Cowon sound a little bit better, but I wouldn't call it a huge difference.