android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Default Share your WP7 Experience with abi....

I thought I'd kick of a thread for WP7 owners to share some of their experiences with the new OS / UI / Handsets with the abi community. If you are a regular reader here, I'm guessing your either orientated away from Apple products - or at least open to thought of a product that doesn't begin with an "i".

I'm an Aussie with a tech interest (not work related field) and ZuneHD owner. I have never owned a personal smart phone - however previously used a work supplied Samsung Blackjack. My main use therefore was business related - and push email was great with the Blackjack - however other online activities or add-ons were poor.

Aussie's were lucky this time around, in that we saw the WP7 launch marginally before the US. Researching plenty up to and just following the launch, I set out to import a Samsung Focus from the US - which was a bit of an experience in itself originally (see my other thread here linking to this)!

So. As a ZuneHD user - I was expecting a lot from WP7. I'm happy to say I believe MS have delivered.

WP7 meets my mobile social, family and business needs all-in-one. My Samsung Focus (I believe this is hands down the best launch handset) has replaced my work blackjack, my ZuneHD (it now rests on the bookcase not seeing a lot of use) and meets 90% of my needs for topping up a wireless USB Telstra modem for mobile broadband to a PC. WP7 over 3G can meet most of our needs (eBay, email access, basic browsing, weather and tides, general purpose needs and PMP).

Sure - there are some shortcomings and areas that MS will (and have confirmed) they need to improve on for a 1.0 product (they have been detailed enough elsewhere) - however none of these seriously get in the way of enjoying my WP7 experience.

The UI is inituitive, fast and just feels natural. Hubs work well, the photo/camera experience is great (including fast access even under lock) and most of my basic music/media requirements are met by the Zune integration, even if not as fully fledged as the ZuneHD.

From a business sense, I was able to configure the phone easily to access my company exchange server and security policies were enforced seamlessly (setting lock-out pin for the OS). I have yet to configure my sharepoint access, however email and GAL (Global Address Listings) work really well. I love the fact that from the people hub, it is a mere matter of seconds and a few clicks to search my company address book (>1000 people) and save the desired persons details to a local contact that sync's to my live account and cloud. Really clever.

As a phone, the handset and OS excel - with calls, quality and call options all readily accessible and easy to use. Very nice.

I am absolutely stoked with my Focus, and WP7 - and look forward to the CES announcements by MS re: the forthcoming updates - as being the icing on the cake.

IMHO - I think 2011 will be the year WP7 takes off - and leaves android in it's wake....WP7 is a real and present alternative to that "i" product out there that has so captured the heart and mind (and wallet) of the smartphone market today.

Bring it on MS

Last edited by Strider_Aus; 01-01-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grammar

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]