android
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM

Default i9 + windows explorer = file transfer problem

Hi! I'm new to this forum and, as an old windows user, I really like the name

I have a weird problem regarding file transfer to my iAudio9 (latest Firmware, 1.14). The problem occurs under "MTP" as well as under "MSC" settings in Win7 as well as Win XP.

MSC: Win XP tries to assign a drive letter, but (after several MINUTES) an error message is displayed (sorry, in german): "Auf E:\ kann nicht zugegriffen werden. Die Datei oder das Verzeichnis ist beschädigt und nicht lesbar." (Cannot access drive E:\).
Win7 says it wants to format the drive (which I didn't try).
jetAudio transfer doesn't work in MSC mode.

MTP: In XP, a dialogue opens for how to handle "Portable Device", and the device is displayed in the explorer tree, with the name "iAudio 9 1.13". But no drive letter is assigned, which I find inconvenient. MP3s can be transferred OK (drag and drop), but video files (of the correct format) can't be transferred. Error message: "xyz.avi kann nicht kopiert werden: Das Gerät reagiert nicht mehr oder wurde getrennt." (... cannot be copied: the device doesn't react anymore...).
In Win7, essentially the same happens, except that when trying to transfer any video file, the Explorer crahes exactly as described in this thread. MP3s can be transferred all right. jetAudio file transfer works with both audio and video files in MTP mode.

To make it short: Video transfer via jetAudio works in MTP mode, but not via Windows Explorer. Also, a drive letter cannot be assigned.

Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure what to tell you....I just got an i9, but I haven't put any video on it, I just use it for music.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM

AFAIK you need to install WMP which has the correct drivers, you don't need to use it but once the drivers are updated MSC should work fine. I hate and don't use MTP so I can't help there and AFAIK you need to transfer video via music software when using MTP but I could be wrong. Drag & drop ftw

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-06-2011, 04:55 PM

can you try to connect the iaudio9 to another pc?

as i was using winxp before, i didn't install anything for being able to use my cowon with it. i just plugged it in and it appeared as a removable device with an assigned drive letter. i always did drag'n'drop without any problems. same with my new laptop and win7.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiJD View Post

as i was using winxp before, i didn't install anything for being able to use my cowon with it. i just plugged it in and it appeared as a removable device with an assigned drive letter. i always did drag'n'drop without any problems. same with my new laptop and win7.
Same with mine but if your pc didn't have the drivers installed it wouldn't have worked and AFAIK there's no where else to get the proper drivers other than WMP.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiJD

I tried on two PCs, one with XP and one with Win7. No drive letters visible in both cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood
AFAIK you need to install WMP which has the correct drivers, you don't need to use it but once the drivers are updated MSC should work fine. I hate and don't use MTP so I can't help there and AFAIK you need to transfer video via music software when using MTP but I could be wrong. Drag & drop ftw
WMP is installed on both PCs. MSC doesn't work in both cases.

Meanwhile, I went ahead and re-installed the Firmware (same Version, 1.14), with no difference. I was thinking about installing a prior version, and then upgrading again. Does someone think this is a good idea or possible at all? This problem is really bugging me

Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 AM

Have you tried to assign a new drive letter when connecting in MSC?

In XP open an explorer window, and right-click "My Computer", then select "Manage." On the left-hand side, you'll find "Storage" and under that will be, among other things, "Disk Management," select that. This will show your drives and partitions. In the upper part of the right-hand display, right-click the device, then select "Change Drive Letter and Paths." On the dialog that comes up, select "Change," then select your drive letter of choice from the combo box and press OK .

You'll get a warning message, but that's just in case you are changing the drive letter of a disk that you have software installed to, so press "Yes" on that dialog. You are back to the Disk Management dialog now, and your newly selected drive letter is showing for your USB drive. Close this dialog, and you're done.

I don't have win7 anymore but you should be able to google the directions.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood
Have you tried to assign a new drive letter when connecting in MSC?
When I connect via MSC to the XP PC, the system at first freezes for a couple of minutes (!), then a new drive letter (E: ) is displayed in the explorer window. I tried to change the drive letter as you explained (to I: ). In the explorer window, the drive letter of the "removable disk" changes OK, but when I click on it, there's an error message (please insert disk into drive I: ). While doing this, I noticed that in the disk management view, my cowon is displayed with 100% free disk space.

After a dis- and reconnect, and a click on I: in the explorer, there's the same error message as before. I'll try to translate from german: "Cannot access drive I:. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

Last edited by paranoid; 02-08-2011 at 06:47 AM. Reason: ":" plus ")" = :)

Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 PM

That’s telling us that it’s definitely not your pc but the i9, there seems to be something corrupted in the firmware if my guess is right. Is it possible to connect in MSC and format the device and re-firmware? That should fix it, if that does not or is impossible to do because it’s not recognized then your only option would be tcctool. You can look here and follow the links.

Edit: alternatively to formating you could run error-checking w/ CHKDSK. Running CHKDSK - connect i9 in MSC mode, view in windows explorer, right click on i9, Properties, Tools, Error-checking, check Automatically fix file system errors, Start and let it do it’s thing.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Edit: alternatively to formating you could run error-checking w/ CHKDSK. Running CHKDSK - connect i9 in MSC mode, view in windows explorer, right click on i9, Properties, Tools, Error-checking, check Automatically fix file system errors, Start and let it do it’s thing.
I first tried that first, but I couldn't get to "Tools" (error accessing the device). But see below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
That’s telling us that it’s definitely not your pc but the i9, there seems to be something corrupted in the firmware if my guess is right. Is it possible to connect in MSC and format the device and re-firmware? That should fix it, if that does not or is impossible to do because it’s not recognized then your only option would be tcctool. You can look here and follow the links.
That did the trick! With an unpleasant feeling, I chose to format the device (FAT32), deleted PARAM.CFG as described in the manual and re-firmwared. Now I can access the player again via MSC as a removable disk! Thank you so much for your tips and your patience!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 AM

Congrats, that's great!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:39 AM

yeah, great! nice to hear info about success.