android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Android

Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Default Neutron vs. Rockbox for Android in SQ only

I heard the Neutron app sounds even better than poweramp (but with worst ui).

Anyone heard the both the Rockbox app for android and the Neutron app for android?
Which one sounds better and why?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Are you asking about EQ or DSP effects? Without those, all players will sound the same.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Neutron is a player that caters specifically to audiophools. Poweramp is much more usable, and its author doesn't make bullshit claims.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
Neutron is a player that caters specifically to audiophools. Poweramp is much more usable, and its author doesn't make bullshit claims.
If you want to hear some BS claims, read this....http://www.head-fi.org/t/634453/jie-...-4-4-published
Biggest crock of shiznit I've ever heard.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skamp View Post
But Neutron offers gapless playback, which is a deal breaker for me if I was interested in an Android music player. Not sure if PowerAmp offers that.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
But Neutron offers gapless playback, which is a deal breaker for me if I was interested in an Android music player. Not sure if PowerAmp offers that.
It does...
Key Features
Quote:
plays mp3, mp4/m4a (including alac), ogg, wma*, flac, wav, ape, wv, tta, mpc, aiff (* some wma pro files may require NEON support)
10 band optimized graphical equalizer for all supported formats, presets, custom presets
separate Bass and Treble adjustment
stereo eXpansion, mono mixing, balance
crossfade
gapless
replay gain
plays songs from folders and from own library
dynamic queue
embed and standalone .cue files support
support for m3u, m3u8, pls, wpl playlists
OpenGL based cover art animation
downloads missing album art
4 configurable widget types
visual themes, downloadable 3rd party skins available on Google Play
configurable lock screen with optional Direct Unlock
headset support, automatic Resume on headset and/or BT connection (can be disabled in settings)
tag editor
fast library scan
scrobbling
lyrics support, including lyrics search via musiXmatch plugin
high level of customization via settings
works on Android 2.1+, optimized for Android 2.3/Gingerbread, 3.0/Honeycomb, 4.0/ICS
localized into Chinese (Traditional and Simplified), German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
http://powerampapp.com/

Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Thanks Marvin, that's good to know just in case I want an Android music player.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Thanks Marvin, that's good to know just in case I want an Android music player.
On Android, that one is my favorite. The BBE one, SonicMax Pro, when I last checked it was way behind the iOS version in development, which itself had its issues last I knew.

Pretty much my only Android listening these days comes from Pandora.... most of my music listening right now is either from my rockboxed 5.5G iPod (at home) or rockboxed Sansas (out and about).

Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM

Rockbox is not even on the market, how do you even get the app?

Old 01-15-2013, 08:55 AM

http://rasher.dk/rockbox/android/

Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It does...
Key Features
http://powerampapp.com/
I have both PowerAmp and Neutron. PowerAmp does have gapless, but the transition between tracks is not quite seamless. There is some noise. They probably use some kind of crossfade. The gapless of Neutron is perfect. And I think that Neutron is the better program, with a lot more features, and I even prefer the UI.

I have also tried Rockbox, but it didn't work so well. One thing was that it wouldn't build a library from the SD card. Then it crashed a lot.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 AM

Gaplessness of Poweramp on my Galaxy Nexus is perfect, and no they don't use crossfading.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 AM

I checked both Poweramp and Neutron for gaplessness just a couple of weeks ago, and only Neutron had a smooth transition for me.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Neutron plays pretty much any format you can think of, plus does 24 bit up to 196kHz. Overkill, for sure, but it's there if you want it. Steely Dan and Pink Floyd sound amazing in 24/96, recorded from vinyl and played back on my home system. The car stereo has too many limitations for the sound to show as much of a difference.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Playing vinyl at 24/96 is kind of silly given that it can't even do 16 bits of resolution.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Playing vinyl at 24/96 is kind of silly given that it can't even do 16 bits of resolution.
I'm not sure what you meant here. The situation was recording vinyl at 24/96. Audiophiles seem convinced that vinyl has a "warmer" sound. The idea is to attempt to capture the best of the analog sound in digital format.

Some examples are Steely Dans Aja, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms. Most of these are special vinyl pressings, such as remasters, half speed masters, 180g vinyl and so on. They use high end equipment and digitally record the, in 24/96. The audiophiles seem to swear by them. It could be total BS, and that's ok. They sound good to me, and that's ok for me. Your mileage may vary.

I got them from "sharing site name removed". All I could suggest is that you download one of the vinyl rips and do the tests.

Last edited by skip252; 11-24-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: sharing site name removed

Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirFiero View Post
I'm not sure what you meant here. The situation was recording vinyl at 24/96. Audiophiles seem convinced that vinyl has a "warmer" sound. The idea is to attempt to capture the best of the analog sound in digital format.
Yeah thats a waste. You're taking a ~12 bit source and recording at 24 bit. That can make setting the levels a lot easier, but once you're down normalizing, 16 bit/48k would make more sense. Less wasted space, less intermodulation from ultrasonic rumble.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Please don't include the names of any other sites that share copyrighted information. Here's the site rules
Quote:
  • Discussion of illegally trading copyrighted material is strictly prohibited and may result in a ban.
That includes posting the names of any site that isn't authorized to distribute copyrighted material. If you got DSOTM from there and didn't pay for it that can't be discussed here. I KNOW that's still under copyright.

I'll assume you didn't know and won't be doing it again. Please don't prove me wrong.

Not only that saying that you got the files you say sound better and not having any idea the original source tends to invalidate your claim of audible superiority due to sample depth and bitrate. You have no idea if what you're listening to is faithful to the original or has been altered in some way.

Sharing sites are notorious for having "lossless" files that have been upconverted from lossy files. Some people prefer the "euphonic" distortions that sometimes causes. That may be the source of any differences you hear.

I suggest you take a look at the part of the HA Wiki that deals with Vinyl. It will take some reading and research and you may have to follow a few links but if you put in the effort you'll find why recording vinyl at 24/96 isn't useful.

You don't have to do any of that to express an opinion. You will find that the people that have actually done the needed research will be more likely to consider your opinion useful if you do.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Yeah thats a waste. You're taking a ~12 bit source and recording at 24 bit. That can make setting the levels a lot easier, but once you're down normalizing, 16 bit/48k would make more sense. Less wasted space, less intermodulation from ultrasonic rumble.
As I said, audiophiles like to claim that vinyl sounds warmer. Is it possible that more of the audio spectrum is captured, including very low bass that might not be audible but perhaps are "felt"?

How is vinyl a "12 bit source"? Vinyl is analog.

The original poster of the files appears to be absent from the sharing site, but there might be a "rip log" on my home computer that will list the equipment and process used. I'll post it if I can find it.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Please don't include the names of any other sites that share copyrighted information. Here's the site rules That includes posting the names of any site that isn't authorized to distribute copyrighted material. If you got DSOTM from there and didn't pay for it that can't be discussed here. I KNOW that's still under copyright.

I'll assume you didn't know and won't be doing it again. Please don't prove me wrong.

Not only that saying that you got the files you say sound better and not having any idea the original source tends to invalidate your claim of audible superiority due to sample depth and bitrate. You have no idea if what you're listening to is faithful to the original or has been altered in some way.

Sharing sites are notorious for having "lossless" files that have been upconverted from lossy files. Some people prefer the "euphonic" distortions that sometimes causes. That may be the source of any differences you hear.

I suggest you take a look at the part of the HA Wiki that deals with Vinyl. It will take some reading and research and you may have to follow a few links but if you put in the effort you'll find why recording vinyl at 24/96 isn't useful.

You don't have to do any of that to express an opinion. You will find that the people that have actually done the needed research will be more likely to consider your opinion useful if you do.
Sorry about the copyright thing. Yes, I wasn't aware and will respect that going forward.

As I indicated in my previous posts, I think I have the rip information available. I didn't mean that I didnt know, it would be more accurate to say I don't remember. I will try to find the relevant information.