android
Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Case Showdown Please

I have just recieved my BESTEVERSKIN for the sansa fuze but i must say i'm dissapointed with it, i shan't be using it.

So i am in need of a new style of protective case.

I'm gravitating towards the silicon style over the hard crystal style, I know highly unlikey but i think that if the case somehow broke the front section could fall off and thereby the actual player falling out after it, i don't see this happening so much with a silicon case.

Well neways, I want to fuze (excuse the pun) some kind of clip onto the back of it to make it more like a giant sansa clip.

So i'd love to hear what people are using and their experiences with them. They are so cheap I'm likely to buy both styles neway and compare at home.

Cheers,

Bruce

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Just out of curiosity: What do you dislike about the skin from BSE?
Bands I dig: Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Arena, Savatage, Threshold, Twelfth Night, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Transatalantic, Vanden Plas, Deep Purple, Metallica, R.E.M., Cake, and, yes, Katie Melua.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's not the company at all, BSE offers GREAT price for their product, its just that the whole application of the skin is difficult (even when following their advice), and having applied many screen protectors in my time its really luck that gets you a good fit.
I'm the kind of person who can't stand for trapped hair or dust particles, and even doing yer utmost best to remove lint during the process enivitably sum gets in.
When peeling the skin off the backing for the first time its obviously sterile and clean, but i found that the adhesive side is easily attracted to finger prints or other marks. The video states that u can just easily remove it and start again but thats really bs. Once u reapply the adhesive side has become dirtied and impossible to clean.

In my experience with any screen protector (and u want a good job done properly) u have one chance and one chance only to get it right. From the moment u take it off the backing u have to quickly apply it without the adhesive or electronic good getting too much air time as more dust particles will settle on both. Then when u lay it down it HAS to be a good fit first time, to peel off and start again imo is starting the road to ruin.

Perhaps I would like screen protectors more if I had 10 BSE to play around with, maybe on the 4th or 5th attempt odds would be more in my favour and i would get a clean, good and no dust or hair follicles trapped fit.
But even after their application (and 24-48hrs has past) I still look at my devices and can see the protector on the device, its noticeable even on the best of applications. They're not invisible.
So I think i'll just get a silicon case which is a hellavu alot easier to apply, with less frustrations and can be easily removed (as well as providing better protection - except the screen of course).

Old 02-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that…
And I wonder why these skins worked so well for me. I mean, I don't regard myself as a very skilful person, far from that. The only thing I can say is that I always dip my fingers in dishwashing soap before I apply BSE skins, therefore I never had that fingerprint problem.

I still think you should get some form of screen protection. Fuzes are notorious for being scratch prone.
Bands I dig: Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Arena, Savatage, Threshold, Twelfth Night, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn, Transatalantic, Vanden Plas, Deep Purple, Metallica, R.E.M., Cake, and, yes, Katie Melua.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progweed View Post
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that…
And I wonder why these skins worked so well for me. I mean, I don't regard myself as a very skilful person, far from that. The only thing I can say is that I always dip my fingers in dishwashing soap before I apply BSE skins, therefore I never had that fingerprint problem.

I still think you should get some form of screen protection. Fuzes are notorious for being scratch prone.
A big +1 on that....either one of the crystal clear hard cases, or a stick-on screen shield with a silicone skin for the rest of the player. I've had both.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Bruce: I have the crystal hard case for my Fuzes. You know the ones - on Amazon/ebay.

They offer very good protection in general, BUT...

- they are very difficult to separate once the halves are installed;
- I have dropped my Fuze with the case on and now the halves come off pretty easily [lol];
- if you are drop prone, perhaps the crystal case is not for you;
- i hate the silicon type cases - they constantly attract dust though they probably provide more protection against drops. However, you must use a film screen protector as the silicon ones leave the screen and the scroll wheel exposed.

I am sticking with my crystal cases. I generally do not drop my devices and after 8 months my 1st Fuze still looks brand new.

Best I can tell ya! Good idea to check out both styles so you can see for yourself.
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Too bad there's no Otterbox Fuze cases.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:41 PM

A simple trick to easily separate the two halves of a crytal case is to put a small coin into the cavity for the SD slot, then turn that coin to use it as a lever.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I ordered this case http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/i-nique-case-c...hostinglisting

It's a bit more pricy than some of the cheaper ones kicking around ebay but I think it looks like its got a bit more quality to it.
I intend to get some basic screen protectors and cover the screen and then the silicon on top.
I thought i read somewhere than the fuze can still attract scratches and marks withing the crystal case by actually being CAUSED by the case its self, but maybe thats bull.
I'm also attraced to the circular hole on the rear of the silicon case as I intend to attach a krussel clip to the back of it http://www.expansys.com.au/krusell-p...ic-kit-152395/

So we'll see how it all works out when the stuff arrives.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bruce: Yes, the crystal case is not immune at all to dust. However, I have found a quite cool and effective way to clean my portable devices for free.

You know those new high powered hand dryers popping up in men's rooms all over the world? Well, they work AWESOMELY to blow surface dust clean from your gear. I was even able to clean out much of the dust from my Blackberry Curve 8300 screen which suffers from a well-documented issue of poor housing seal.

Also, this video shows exactly how to separate the crystal case and is the same cases I use on my own Fuzes.

http://www.amazon.com/Transparent-Cl.../dp/B001ECP666

Good luck with the silicon one!
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I ordered this case http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/i-nique-case-c...hostinglisting
So we'll see how it all works out when the stuff arrives.
I'll be interested to see how this works for you. I had a silicone case for my e200, but it was a waste of money. Really thin and a bad fit. All it did was make it hard to get in & out of my pocket. I have an old Speck case on it now. I wish they made them for the fuze. Hoping it's more like the speck & less like that silicone one I had.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't plan to put my fuze in my pocket ever, thats why I want to attach a clip to the back of the silicon case and have it clipped to by trousers (like a larger version of the clip/clip+).
Once the fuze is rockboxed I can adjust Bass up and down, Shuffle on/off, Crossfade on/off, skip track, volume up and down all without actually looking at the device.

For me these things are really important. Anyone who actually USES a DAP for a prolonged amount of time that needs to tweak things here or there (increase/lower, turn on or off certain functions etc) will get annoyed at the constant pulling of the device out of the pocket, navigating through menus selecting this or that and then putting back in pocket only to perhaps need to do it all over again a few minutes later.
This is where I feel mp3 players lack the most. Its like NONE of the players on the market have actually been FIELD tested. Sure sum guy sits at the table checking that it works etc, but does anyone who builds these things actually use them like what we (the customers) do?
Thank god for rockbox, seriously. I've often felt there has always been a lack of tactile buttons in players from the start, and then they lost even more buttons during the touch screen 'revolution'. What happened to having a dedicated EQ button on a player allowing you to flip in an instance between yer own EQ presets custom or otherwise? This to me seems like an obvious thing to implement, allowing a user with a one push button to change the EQ style to suit the next song playing (as its entirely possible one track is rock and the next rap/hiphop thereby the previous EQ carrying too much Bass for the next track etc). Or perhaps one step further and allow an EQ setting to be 'tagged' to a song genre, that would be neat.

Anyways, rant over. I just wanted to say that when I look at a player the first thing I consider is its PRACTICAL application. The J3 & S9 might look great and sound great but how are they going to perform during a 7hr marathon? Am i going to get constantly frustrated that there is no clip on them to attach to my clothing? That i need to constantly dig them out of my pocket to skip a track etc? That any kind of tweaking is a navigation menu headache?
These kinds of questions top my list and is why I looked into the fuze and saw that these sorts of issues I can workaround easily with.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Anyone who actually USES a DAP for a prolonged amount of time that needs to tweak things here or there (increase/lower, turn on or off certain functions etc) will get annoyed at the constant pulling of the device out of the pocket, navigating through menus selecting this or that and then putting back in pocket only to perhaps need to do it all over again a few minutes later.
Well, not anyone...since I actually USE, tweak, and pocket my DAP for extended periods of time without annoyance...but different strokes, eh?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Well, not anyone...since I actually USE, tweak, and pocket my DAP for extended periods of time without annoyance...but different strokes, eh?
Yeh yer not helping the good fight! lol

But seriously, guess it depends on the task yer doing at the time. I'm not talking about sitting in a train doing nuthing so reaching into pocket aint a big ordeal, I'm talking about those folk that are walking along the street, or mowing the lawn, or cleaning the house etc. Who wants to stop in their tracks, pull player out of pocket, navigate menus, select this or that via touch (only to have touch gestures not recognized or hit wrong area of screen), then put back in pocket and continue with what they were doing before hand. I'm talking about things made EASIER for us all (as rockbox well knew).

Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I don't plan to put my fuze in my pocket ever, thats why I want to attach a clip to the back of the silicon case and have it clipped to by trousers (like a larger version of the clip/clip+).
Never really had that big a problem with the whole pocket thing. I learned the buttons (I agree - gotta have buttons), and can do the basics without looking. But I hate the tags on the neck of my shirts, so everyone's got something.
FWIW, the silicone case I had came with a clip. It sucked, too.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech View Post
But I hate the tags on the neck of my shirts, so everyone's got something.
HULK SMASH TAGS!!

Yeh im pretty much bordering Obessive Compulsive Disorder combined with seeking perfectionism combined with autism

Its hard to be me.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol....yes, always nice to see how folks use their gear - whatever works for you is best!

I personally use all my DAPs mostly with them in my trouser pockets. Since RB my Fuzes, I have come to love the setting which activates the screen on the first keypress. So I can blindly do all track skips/scans and volume changes without ever breaking stride or taking the device out of my pocket.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 AM

Unhappy

@lestatar and brucebanner,
how can you Bass up and down, Volume up and down without looking at the screen? i have installed rockbox on my fuze, but am constantly using the OF because of battery life and because am too lazy to pass through the menus to get to my songs. care to explain a bit? i feel hesitant to use RockBox "Because" i have to look at the screen everytime.

Thankx in Advance

Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Nope. Rockbox can help alot with some things.

Sure, I cannot blindly control Bass/Treble/EQ...stuff like that. But on my RB Fuze, I can 100% accurately do all of the following while the device is in my pocket and I am walking down the street, whatever:
- Pause/Play
- Restart current track/Skip to next track/Skip to previous track
- FF/REW of current playing track
- Volume Up/Down

This covers all the basic operations I will ever need to do while on the go.

For me, the trick is this extra cool little Rockbox setting. I have set the Fuze so that the first keypress only lights up the screen. This is critical.

From there, I just use the standard Fuze keymapping - I did not change anything from how the OF works as far as I recall. Since the Fuze has an asymmetrical button layout, it is pretty easy. And I always place my device in my pants pockets the same way, screen side out from my body.

So I press once to activate the blue light, then UP lets me play/pause, left restarts the track with one press, left with 2 presses takes me to the previous song, etc, etc, etc...Volume is controlled with simple scroll of the wheel.

Easy as pie
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@psgarcha92,

I havn't yet blindly controlled the fuze with RB but i have with the sansaclip+ (which is argubly even a little harder due to its compactness). But I can't see how doing it on the fuze will be any different.

Here's how.

On the sansaclip+ a long press on the home button will bring up your 'shortcut list', 4 options that u can bind to nearly any function (up, down, left and right). I have mine set to being more or less bass on the up and down arrows, shuffle on or off on the left arrow and crossfade on/off on the right arrow. Of course u can set yers to anything u like, for example bass up and down, treble left and right.
Treble stays the same for me in pretty much all genres, its just when i go from a metal or techno song to a heavy rap song that the bass distorts so i need to pull it down, then once the track finishes and moves to a song genre which doesnt have as much bass emphasis I can put it back up.
So imagine the sansaclip+ is on my hip/trousers, all i do when a song starts that has too much/litte bass and i need to lower/increase it is to do press the home button for 2 secs (easy to find by touch), then press the up or down arrows a few times to increase/decrease the bass (I count how many presses i make, like 5 or 7 presses one direction or the other). Then I press the home button once again and it takes me back out to the the now playing screen. Easy. Once the song has ended and i need to adjust the bass back to normal level again I simply repeat the procedure and recall how many presses i made first time around and press the corresponding arrow key to put it back to normal level. Done.
I clean for a living so its important that i dont have to constantly stop and look at my player to make adjustments, i need to do it on the fly.
Of course I que the music i want up before i start, skipping a track is easy blind, just feel for the right arrow button and push it, also volume is a given as well, u just find that on the side of the player and alter it.
Use your EARS to guide you, not what you see. Still too loud? lower it more etc, still distorting lower it more etc.

Now here's where it gets mildly interesting. Having Rockboxed a fuze and a sansaclip+ I was gonna review how they differ on each device (i'll do it in a future post side by side comparisons pics etc, pros and cons etc). So far I have noticed two significant differences.
I said on the clip+ that to enter the shortcut screen u make a long press on the home button, on the fuze i believe its a long press on the bottom arrow/menu button. So not really a huge issue, i think i would prefer the fuze to it being the same as the clip+ as the home button is easier to find blind but meh.
The sother ignificant difference I found was that when on the clip+, once i change the bass setting via this shortcut method (or directly via the menus) it takes as much as 15secs for it to apply the change. Thats a long time to wait to see if the results are too yer liking.
HOWEVER, on the fuze, once u apply this change it takes like 4 secs to apply the changes making it far more immediate and satisfying. This is a big deal for me, now when i use my shortcut method to increase/decrease bass the change is almost instantaneous providing me with faster feedback.

Of course navigating to different albums/songs requires to looking at the screen, simply lowering/increasing volume or skipping a track doesnt.

Stick with rockbox, like any great thing it takes awhile to grasp. at first i was like wtf, this makes no sense, but then it actually does after awhile and u can see why they did it the way they did. Took awhile for me to get my head around the whole dynamic playlist thing, but its worth it in the end.

I would love to have different eq presets set to the shortcut method in RB, that would be REALLY neat xD