android
Old 02-10-2011, 11:01 AM

Unhappy How to tag, transfer & add album art to X7?

I recently purchased the Cowon X7, but am having trouble transferring music onto the device (i know feel free to laugh ).
I don't know what platform (if any) i should be using to transfer my files, JetEffect Media Center, MediaMonkey or just a straight drag and drop into the HDD from My Computer ?
I have managed to get music on there, initially with just no album art to show. Since i've tried to tag the album art, i am finding that when i go into the library to search for a specific artist, all the files are classed as 'Unknown'.
In simple language (because it's obvious, i'm a bit of an idiot), could some kind soul explain to me just how to transfer an album, with album art, and so the artists name shows up under the artist folder on the actual device. And also which program i should be using to transfer said files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i'm becoming increasingly frustrated.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Hi,

Hopefully I can be of some help, even though I don't really use the media library on the X7 (I prefer to navigate through folders, which is one of the reasons I prefer Cowon to other, better known brands...)

I have a huge range of mp3s and WMAs which have come from a range of sources and been tagged in various ways. I've transferred them all to the X7 using straightforward drag and drop. Anything I've ripped for myself was done in Windows Media Player and I've hardly re-tagged anything. All of it shows up under the 'Artist' in the media library. If your music isn't doing so, I wonder if it needs re-tagging? Someone else on the forum will be able to advise you on the best way to do that, but I can say that Windows Media tags work for me.

Cover art just shows up if you have a jpeg called 'cover' in the same folder as the music. I googled for a quick way to do this and found a single command line method to copy and rename all the existing 'folder' jpegs in one go - I've seen various instructions around for a similar procedure in both Windows and Linux.

Good luck! If you can't solve your problem here you could try the forum at http://iaudiophile.net/.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM

I use mp3tag and I've had no complaints so far. With mp3tag you can create tags from filename and embed cover art to the files. Editing multiple files at once... FLAC files as well as mp3 files can be tagged with it...

And then I drag and drop folders into the HDD music folder on the X7.

I advise you to name each folder and each file in a tidy manner; for example:

Folder name:

Pink Floyd - 1977 - Animals

Filename:

01 Pigs On The Wing.flac

When you are tagging the file make sure the same file name is entered into the file name section.

These are all I can think of right now... Please report back...

Old 02-10-2011, 05:38 PM

“Please help, i'm pulling my hair out!!” is not a good title, I have changed the title to something more descriptive, so members that use the search feature can easily find what they're looking for, in the future please use more care.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Sorry first of all for the unhelpful title of my first thread, my apologies.
Thanks for your help people, it is appreciated. I think the problem i was having was that i was ripping my audio CD's into WAV format, and Windows Media Player (and i'm guessing) MediaMonkey dont tag properly in this format ? Ive sinced changed the rip format to MP3 and it appears to have done the trick, even managed to get the artwork on the device.
What rip format do you guys use. Is there a great deal of noticeable difference between say MP3 and WAV in playback on the X7 ?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WAV format is the native format audio CDs come in. Quality audio CD rips using something like LAME at v2 or v0 VBR encoder settings will result in transparent/identical sounding mp3 files as compared to the original WAVs for 99% of the people on planet earth [this is not an accurate number but you get my drift].

WAV files are HUGE, approximately 5-10x larger than quality mp3 LAME files. This translates into MUCH LESS music you can put on your portable devices.

Compound the fact that the device is portable and will likely be used in fairly noisy real world situations [as opposed to quiet listening conditions you can control in your home] and WAV files don't make so much sense, at least not to me. I don't expect to have super critical listening sessions while out and about. Do you?

Use mp3tag as folks have suggested. I have used it exclusively for many years to tag and embed my album art. There are other quality ID3 taggers, but I like mp3tag - it does everything I need it to do with no muss and no fuss and it is constantly being developed. An excellent free app.

As a PC software all in one player/music manager, MediaMonkey is quite great, offering tons of features to the experienced user and is also free.

WMP is...crap IMO - and for many people here as well.

hth and good luck!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-11-2011, 05:17 PM

Objection 1!

I'm one of those who claim he hears the difference between a mp3 and a lossless file. And it's so untrue that those who share this claim with me are only 1% of the people. Just explore the internet and see for yourself how wide the usage and preference of lossless files over lossy files is. Heck, even sharing DVD rips (that is 24 bit 192 khz) and Vinyl rips (24 bit 92 khz mostly) has become so common, one should be hesitant about making a claim about the percentage of people who prefer to download high-res albums each of which would take up a few gigabytes on their hard disks. It's like saying blue-ray or DVD quality is not much different than VCD quality. But I wouldn't want to flame an ancient discussion, just paying my two cents... If anybody wants to learn what happens to the music files when compressed to death in favor of hdd space, he can easily find the answer on the internet...

Objection 2!

If you're using a noise-isolating in ear phone (IEM) as I do (I have an Earsonics SM3), then the noise in the environment (sourced from public transportation, subway, crowds etc.) vanishes or almost vanishes, so critical listening becomes natural even outside with an IEM. If you haven't tried an IEM, please do so, you will see the term "noise-isolating" is no gimmick, and you will enjoy music fully even in noisy environments.

CLARETKID, even if you don't go lossless, I humbly advise you to rip your music to 320 kpps constant bit rate (CBR) mp3 files, and not to settle for lower than that.

Last edited by meurglys0; 02-11-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator

You can reliably ABX between lossless and well encoded, high bitrate, lossy files?

CLARETKID let me give you the same advice I gave just a few days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Instead of guessing or taking the advice of someone that doesn't hear the same as me I'd ABX with foobar2000. That way you can determine exactly you can hear or not. If you can't reliably identify a FLAC file from a lower bitrate .mp3 why eat up disk space with a bunch of bits you can't hear?

ABXing will allow you determine the bitrate that is transparent to you. Once you determine that you can then target the bitrate that will work best for you. The difference in file size will then be determined by what bitrate you decide to use.
ABX is simple, reliable and doesn't leave you using a format or bitrate that suits someone else's usage and doesn't match your's.

Last edited by skip252; 02-11-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Additional information

Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@meurglys0 - Welcome [back] to ABi. Haven't seen anything from you before.

While I defend your right to hold your position, in the case of your first objection, like skip252, I say prove it! If you are blessed with golden ears, great! Awesome! But pointing to the internet as a reliable source indicating that there are many others with your ability? This is, quite frankly, laughable.

To paraphrase: the internet - home of whackjobs and nutcases the world over.

As I said, that 99% number was not intended to be accurate, but simply supportive of a point IMO. Out of 100 people, I would be surprised to see that even 5 or 10 people could reliably make the distinctions we are talking about using an ABX testing methodology.

As in life, if you can't prove it, it didn't happen.

Just sayin'....

Take the Pepsi challenge. Only 2 possible outcomes - you are correct and you are indeed among that rare breed who can reliable distinguish lossy and lossless, in which case, congratulations.

Or you find out definitively that you are not quite as gifted as you thought.

This is not a bad thing - consider how much more music you can now throw onto your portable players.

As for isolation in IEMs? True, some IEMs/tips isolate better than others. But none I have ever tried/heard have ever been able to completely isolate me from urban NYC/Hong Kong streetnoise. Especially not at the relatively low listening volumes I am employing now. While you personally may perform "critical listening" out and about, I simply do not find this feasible, at least not for me.

I ain't no expert and these are just my opinions. Still, take the ABX test and post the results.

What have you got to lose?

And finally, again, IMO, 320kbps rips are simply overkill for all of the reasons above. VBR is indeed transparent to most normal humans when done properly - this has been proven time and again.

FLAC is great. WAV is great. Lossless is great...for archiving purposes.

I stand by my position - for portable use, unless one is too lazy to be bothered with the whole transcoding process and does not mind wasting space, quality lossy rips using LAME/quality encoders is quite excellent.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-12-2011, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Lestatar, I'm not in a postion to demand that anyone prove anything. It was a simple question. Based on my curiosity nothing more. There was no "put up or shut up" meant. It was meant as an introduction to the concept of ABX testing to determine which bitrate is best for each person's use. I found it to be an invaluable tool in determining what I could actually hear.

Once I determined I couldn't begin to hear the diffence between lossless and a well encoded lossy file lossless was off the table. I worked down until I found the point I could reliably hear a difference and use the next higher step. Works just fine for portable use. Heck, unless I'm listening to my home system and paying close attention it works great everywhere else too.

I can now confidently fill my players with music knowing that I'm listening to what's best for my listening pleasure. I don't need to search the Internet and take the advice of someone who knows nothing of my hearing or equipment. No one can sell me the BS that I need this bitrate or that format. I know what I can hear. That knowledge is incredibly liberating.

My intent was to let CLARETKID share that freedom. There's always someone with a weak understanding of audio that's more than willing to tell you what works for them is just perfect for you. Armed with a bit of easily learned knowledge I can just smile, thank them and ignore their misguided attempts to educate me. ABX testing is one of the tools I used to gain that easy confidence. I recommend it highly to anyone who cares to enjoy their music to the fullest.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I hear ya skip252. Guess I took a bit of umbrage since the objections were a direct result of my comments. Didn't mean to throw you under the bus. Hope you know me better than that by now.

As always, the voice of reason from you.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Whoa, whoa i'll have no fighting under my roof.

Seriously thanks for all the input folks.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol...no one's fighting, but thanks for the peace out anyway

nothing wrong with spirited, respectful discussion!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Understood. That's the reason I made it clear that my question was not a challenge. These "what bitrate to use" threads can get nasty in a hurry. I know, I've seen the need for massive clean up after people get their feelings hurt over what they believe they can hear. Bottom line, the bitrate and format to use is the one that fills your needs the best.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM

I can tell with 192 vs flac pretty reliably depending on the type of music. The most fun way to try for yourself what you can and can't tell with (everyone is different!), is to open both in a multi stream editor, and simply switch between which is playing at certain points in the song. Sony Vegas is meant for video but does it just fine. At 256 I'm down to guessing, but I use 320 with flac as archiving because I own players big enough for it not to be a problem.