android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 AM

Default It's official - worst kept secret, MS and Nokia WP7 partnership!

Well, speculation can now end. MS press release a short while ago stating a "broad strategic partnership".

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...rtnership.mspx

Reproduced here:

Quote:
Nokia and Microsoft Announce Plans for a Broad Strategic Partnership to Build a New Global Mobile Ecosystem
Companies plan to combine assets and develop innovative mobile products on an unprecedented scale.

LONDON – Feb. 11, 2011 – Nokia and Microsoft today announced plans to form a broad strategic partnership that would use their complementary strengths and expertise to create a new global mobile ecosystem.

Nokia and Microsoft intend to jointly create market-leading mobile products and services designed to offer consumers, operators and developers unrivalled choice and opportunity. As each company would focus on its core competencies, the partnership would create the opportunity for rapid time to market execution. Additionally, Nokia and Microsoft plan to work together to integrate key assets and create completely new service offerings, while extending established products and services to new markets.

Under the proposed partnership:

• Nokia would adopt Windows Phone as its principal smartphone strategy, innovating on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader.

•Nokia would help drive the future of Windows Phone. Nokia would contribute its expertise on hardware design, language support, and help bring Windows Phone to a larger range of price points, market segments and geographies.

• Nokia and Microsoft would closely collaborate on joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap to align on the future evolution of mobile products.

• Bing would power Nokia’s search services across Nokia devices and services, giving customers access to Bing’s next generation search capabilities. Microsoft adCenter would provide search advertising services on Nokia’s line of devices and services.

• Nokia Maps would be a core part of Microsoft’s mapping services. For example, Maps would be integrated with Microsoft’s Bing search engine and adCenter advertising platform to form a unique local search and advertising experience

• Nokia’s extensive operator billing agreements would make it easier for consumers to purchase Nokia Windows Phone services in countries where credit-card use is low.

• Microsoft development tools would be used to create applications to run on Nokia Windows Phones, allowing developers to easily leverage the ecosystem’s global reach.

• Nokia’s content and application store would be integrated with Microsoft Marketplace for a more compelling consumer experience.

“Today, developers, operators and consumers want compelling mobile products, which include not only the device, but the software, services, applications and customer support that make a great experience,” Stephen Elop, Nokia President and CEO, said at a joint news conference in London. “Nokia and Microsoft will combine our strengths to deliver an ecosystem with unrivalled global reach and scale. It’s now a three-horse race.”

“I am excited about this partnership with Nokia,” said Steven A. Ballmer, Microsoft CEO. “Ecosystems thrive when fueled by speed, innovation and scale.The partnership announced today provides incredible scale, vast expertise in hardware and software innovation and a proven ability to execute.”
There you go! Kapow! This should advertise WP7 more than all the $ MS have spent so far Nokia N9 WP7 !

Could lead to a new MS 32GB Music Handset: HERE !!!!! LOL

Last edited by Strider_Aus; 02-11-2011 at 02:42 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 AM

Seriously though - wonder how much this will piss of Samsung, LG, HTC and Dell (? if they ever get their phone working!) ??? I wouldn't be happy in their shoes after MS has got into bed with the previously <terminally ill> No.1 phone handset company in the world.

Channel Tension+++

Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 AM

These images are more than interesting. This is big.

GLOBAL REACH

ECOSYSTEM

WOW. Wonder how long back these discussions started. Cross polination of MS Executives to Nokia to seed the idea (a covert lifeline?)

Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 AM

1. How much of Nokia's backend software/services will go to WP7 (and be available for competing handset makers)? &

2. What committments ot otherwise did MS make or indicate to current WP7 Hardware partners re: going into their own handset manufacture – or about buying part of or forming strategic partnerships with someone other than current WP7 handset suppliers ?

Yes Nokia is on a steep decline, has been since ifone revolutionalised smartphones...but this has to shake up the HTC/Samsung exec's (and LG who aren't happy with selling rates of their handsets already). And what of the WP7 "premium" experience with specs....and the Nokia propensity to flood mid range and lower end handset models...

Fun times ahead.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 AM

Interesting quote from Nokia:

"Nokia wouldn’t be just be another Windows Phone OEM. Nokia plans to help drive and define the future of the platform. That could include contributing expertise on hardware optimization, language support, customization of the software and helping bring Windows Phone to a larger range of price points, market segments and geographies.

* There are other mobile ecosystems. We will disrupt them.

* There will be challenges. We will overcome them.

* Success requires speed. We will be swift.

* Together, we see the opportunity, and we have the will, the resources and the drive to succeed."

Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 AM
ABI Founder

To me this is really exciting. I LOVE Nokia hardware- the e71 has been my favorite, like a finely made watch or jewelry, but their software is the antithesis of this. And i am really loving Windows Phone 7, but none of the hardware i felt has been truly premium... this should do the trick.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Contributing Editor

Ovi maps on WP7??????? I think that would be awesome. The lack of instant, easy navigation is a downside to the WP7 platform now. I was spoiled in that aspect with Android.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I dont know about wrost kept secret, well maybe for the last few weeks or so but honestly I wasn't really expecting Nokia to make a descision to run other software on their phones before these rumors started happening not too long ago, and I know a lot of Nokia employees. I just have to wonder how far along they are with this plan, is it typical Nokia "A year+ before we actually do it." or have they actually got some hardware coming out soon with WP7 on it?

Anyway they said they will be sharing their development with all Windows Phone 7 manufacturers, so I imagine anyone developing for Windows Phone 7 should be pretty pleased, its not like HTC, Samsung, LG or Dell were ever going to offer anything extra to WP7 software/feature wise.

Either way, not really that interested in Nokia or Windows Phone 7. Although a WP7 Nokia is slightly more interesting as a combination. I still hold Nokias as too rich for my blood, but who knows, if WP7 starts being numero uno in Finland I'll consider the switch. Android hasn't been AMAZING here so far, just better then anything else and I still have a years worth of waiting on my phone before I am even going to consider a new one

Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm really stoked w/this. The excellence of the Nokia hardware coupled w/MS's software (w/Nokia's guidance) = excellence IMO!!! I think this will wind up being the best of both worlds!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Contributing Editor

Very excited about the hardware of Nokia and the MS software. I also want to see how much thy collaborate on things like Ovi maps, and some of the better elements of the Nokia software.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Sure is an interesting combo. I wonder what will happen with MeeGo. Symbian is going by the wayside correct?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Symbian is D.O.A. I'm stoked w/this, especially since I really don't want Android as my OS for my phone. My iPhone 4 is great, but I think this MIGHT be even greater.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/e...cept-revealed/

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is fantastic news!!! Honestly, the combo of Nokia & MS will make me switch to Windows Phone 7. I'm actually expecting earth-shattering equipment & software from this collaboration. Time will tell, but this is just what both companies needed - and the current WP7 hardware is crap compared to what Nokia puts out.

Honestly, this will give the iPhone a real bit of trouble - Nokia+Microsoft=POWER!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM

Detailed Paul Thurrott analysis here:

http://tinyurl.com/4o5rsck

Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
Detailed Paul Thurrott analysis here:

http://tinyurl.com/4o5rsck
I gave the article 5 stars!!! WP7 for teh WIN!!!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 PM

I haven't wanted anything this much since I first saw a SNES.... there is no applicable smiley for my techno-lust

Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree,...my iPhone will be sold like yesterday for this shizzle!!! Must have!!!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:40 AM

where's Zune ????
http://tinyurl.com/4d32xgz

Old 02-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

My interest in WP7 is rising.