android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Default Thinking of Fuze Over J3 -Some Questions

For 2 months, I have been hell-bent on getting a Cowon J3, but just have not been able to bring myself to buy it. For one, I have just discovered the beautiful sound of the Clip.

I am looking for a larger player with a bit more viewing real estate, album art, and with the Clip's SQ. I just want someone to confirm for me whether or not the Fuze and Clip + (and even the Fuze +) do have the same SQ; I have read mixed comments about that. I do not care about sound enhancers, I want a player that has excellent SQ on flat settings.

Also, as the Fuze's UI looks utterly hideous, can someone tell me how a novice can theme this player.

Thanks,

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Yes they're the same. The Clipv1 and Fuzev1 have identical internals, as do the Clipv2, Clip+ and Fuzev2. The Fuze+ is completely different then all the others.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

As for clean sound on a flat setting, the Fuze would be the way to go. However, as for sound enhancements, I believe the Cowon blows the water out of most players.

Also, the Fuze is much cheaper than the J3, so if you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with it.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Yes they're the same. The Clipv1 and Fuzev1 have identical internals, as do the Clipv2, Clip+ and Fuzev2. The Fuze+ is completely different then all the others.
OK, my player says that it is version v01.01.05a. I assume that is the V1 you mentioned. Is there a difference in SQ from V1 to V2. And considering the Fuze + has different internals, do you know if it has the same quality SQ as the Clip that I own?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
As for clean sound on a flat setting, the Fuze would be the way to go. However, as for sound enhancements, I believe the Cowon blows the water out of most players.

Also, the Fuze is much cheaper than the J3, so if you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with it.
Thanks - As for the J3, there is no need in my paying for enhancers that I will not use. I am curious about the Cowon sound, but if that sound is nothing special without BBE or whatever it is called, then I will pass for now, knowing what I now know about the Clip. Who would guess all of this coming from a small, unassuming player. All I needed to know is that I will get the same in the Fuze - I can theme it (might take me a long time to get it done) - and I it's a go ahead!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've heard that the J3 has excellent SQ (but never listened to it myself), and excellent sound enhancements. But, if you don't care about sound enhancements, then the Fuze will do just fine. I have one myself, and it sounds great and even better with the Rockbox EQ. Good luck if you can find one for a reasonable price, they are running short these days

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
I have one myself, and it sounds great and even better with the Rockbox EQ. Good luck if you can find one for a reasonable price, they are running short these days
Thanks, I have seen them from $45.00 -$60.00 refurbished. Given that this is an older player, however, do you think with respect to the battery, that it will OK to buy a refurbed Fuze? I have bought several other refurbished players and have never had a problem, so I do not mind going that route. I have been reading about the Fuze all night, and the more I read, the surer I become that this is the player that I should have been looking at all along. Those outdated-looking icons and institutional blue has always been a turn-off. Now, I know that it can be modified.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@Keeper, a bunch of things for you to consider in light of your questions:

- Fuze+ vs Clip sound quality: The Fuze+ sounds pretty great, typical of late model Sandisk players. Like most mp3 players, stock and out of the box, with no EQ or sound enhancements, pretty much all devices will sound the same...At least to my ears and IME. I think the Fuze+ is a pretty nice player - the deal breaker for me is the touch controls. Some like them though and I understand Sandisk has released an FW update to try and address the worst of the issues.

- v1 vs v2 Fuze sound: Pretty much the same answer above IMO and AFAIK.

- v1 vs v2 Fuze battery life: No contest here. v2 Fuze obtains quite a bit more battery life AFAIK, something like 16 vs 22 real world hours using stock FW.

- refurbs: Nothing wrong with 'em and can be a great bargain from reputable sources. Though v1 refurb devices may be getting slightly long in the tooth re: battery lifetime, I don't think it is something to worry about overmuch. Still, I would try and get my hands on a v2 Fuze, just for the increase in usable battery life alone. Chances are probably good that any Fuze you get [especially new] will be v2.

The J3 is an awesome device. But if you are on a budget and care mostly about sound and don't need all the bells and whistles and features of something like the J3, then yes, agree with everyone - in your choice, the Fuze is indeed a great way to go.

And of course, Rockbox if you are so inclined.

cheers, good luck and tell us what you decide,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post

- v1 vs v2 Fuze battery life: No contest here. v2 Fuze obtains quite a bit more battery life AFAIK, something like 16 vs 22 real world hours using stock FW.
The difference between them is not very big with the stock firmware....it's with Rockbox that the V2 gains a big advantage.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@Keeper, sorry for the late reply....but lestatar pretty much covered it for you

Retired Devices:

Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The difference between them is not very big with the stock firmware....it's with Rockbox that the V2 gains a big advantage.
Really? I recall reading that v1 Fuze was lagging quite a bit. Good to know!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My dad has a silver V1 Fuze, which he let me try out for a week before I got mine....and I remember the battery life being significantly shorter when using Rockbox....maybe its just because it was old, he's had it since like 2007/2008 lol...

Retired Devices:

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
@Keeper, a bunch of things for you to consider in light of your questions:

I think the Fuze+ is a pretty nice player - the deal breaker for me is the touch controls. Some like them though and I understand Sandisk has released an FW update to try and address the worst of the issues.
Thanks Les,

I have 2 Samsung Q1s, was fine with the touch pad when I first got it, but once I got a Sony and then an iPhone, the Q1 became cumbersome. I still use the players though - dare I say - when I want a bit more exciting UI experience .

I am about to go run some errands, and will stop by Best Buy to see what is going on there. Unfortunately, the managers at the stores here seem to think that is is utterly appropriate to no music on any display players.. well, first, I will be lucky to find any that are actually on that do not start with i... I fuss at them about this regularly. In any case, I will give a try as well as see if they have some Fuze's around that they are trying to get rid of. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You won't find any Fuzes at Best Buy.....at least last time I visited a couple of months ago the Fuze was nowhere to be found, replaced by Fuze+

But if you want you can try out the Clip+, to see how the Fuze sounds, they have those

Retired Devices:

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Really? I recall reading that v1 Fuze was lagging quite a bit. Good to know!
The difference with Rockbox is big.....if mine is at 100%, using 3.7.1, it estimates 14h51m time remaining. I'm pretty sure my V2 was about 21h, although it seemed hard to get it above 99% charge, IIRC.

Skip252 already explained this to you about the OF somewhere here once....lol. But I know, your memory is failing with age.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You won't find any Fuzes at Best Buy.....at least last time I visited a couple of months ago the Fuze was nowhere to be found, replaced by Fuze+

But if you want you can try out the Clip+, to see how the Fuze sounds, they have those
Thanks, I am out and about now, and will go to BB in about 15 min. I have a Clip +. It is what has me interested in the Fuze. No longer fan of touch pads, but since I am out here, I will take Les' feedback into account and see what the Fuze + is about.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My dad has a silver V1 Fuze, which he let me try out for a week before I got mine....and I remember the battery life being significantly shorter when using Rockbox....maybe its just because it was old, he's had it since like 2007/2008 lol...
Saratoga has said that it is something to do with the hardware, and that it is something of a mystery to them, IIRC.....even if the V1 was brand-new with a fresh battery, it would get less life with Rockbox than the V2.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
The difference with Rockbox is big.....if mine is at 100%, using 3.7.1, it estimates 14h51m time remaining. I'm pretty sure my V2 was about 21h, although it seemed hard to get it above 99% charge, IIRC.

Skip252 already explained this to you about the OF somewhere here once....lol. But I know, your memory is failing with age.
Doh! Man, must be all the vodka. Again, I spew bad info
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Ok I am here in BB. They have a fuze + on display, but the screen is either locked or is in a serious deep freeze. I cannot even turn it off and rep says it has been like this for a while.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Doh! Man, must be all the vodka. Again, I spew bad info
It's OK, as always I'm here to save the day!