android
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Default sansa fuze playlists

hey guys
playlists on sansa fuze that too in msc mode are so frustrating....there should have been better support for playlists atleast....
have been trying to unveil the power of playlists created on my computer to be run on my sansa fuze v2 for 3 days now...used media monkey, but as soon as i create a playlist and export it to the fuze, stupid monkey copies the files together with the playlist.....isnt there any way to create playlists easily on fuze? plus, i have been trying to create genius type playlists for fuze. i have gone as far as making my fuze's music the library in itunes, and creating genius playlists and exporting them as m3u files....after copying, whenever i open the imported playlists, they are always empty.what do i do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Use video4fuze or YAPL. They both make playlists from MSC transferred files that actually work with a Fuze.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 with skip252.

Stop banging your head - YAPL and video4Fuze work perfectly and also are the only 2 apps I am aware of that will make mixed media [internal memory and uSDHC card] playlists.

Search ABi forums for mentions of both.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 AM

Thanks skip252 and Leststar....i had tried the above programs too, YAPL took long time reading my database, and it wasnt providing me the facility to import .m3u playlists, and video4fuze didnt work for me (i did not try that hard with both of them either, so my fault)...but i have found this great easy to use program Playlist Creator (http://www.oddgravity.com/app-opc.php), and it works super fine for me.....

Thanks a lot guys

Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I need to clarify - for my Fuzes, under original FW, yes, I used both of those apps to create and modify playlists directly on the Fuze/SDHC card.

I did not ever need to import any existing playlists from my PC [as I do not use PC playlists].

Will check out that app, though with Rockbox installed on my Fuzes, no need for any separate SW playlist editor - thanks again.
-les

EDIT: Just installed it, but have not tried yet. Looks to be an elegant, functional little app. cheers!
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM

I like the application home page:
Quote:
Following the Unix philosophy "one tool for one job" Playlist Creator enables you to create playlists of your precious music within seconds.
I fully agree with that, but the application is Windows only...
This GUI looks too much like a dialog box to my taste. Maybe it is because you can drop files to it. I know it is very difficult to create a good playlist creation interface, I am struggling with mine for months now. You must consider that music can come from the PC or the device, and many other things to make the process clear.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator

It's an absolute no go for me. When I had it installed a few years back there was too much behind the scenes action for my comfort. Even after I made sure to uncheck the "Check For Updates" function it would still try to phone home. Once I used my AV to deny it access to the 'Net it stopped functioning properly. When it worked at all. 3 out of 5 times the playlists it created were broken. I had one hell of a time scrubbing it out of the registry once I had enough and uninstalled it. Not again.

To be fair the author may have corrected these problems in the 3 years since I had it installed. But when I have a lightweight, no install app that writes a single easily visible registry value I'll use that. Both YAPL and video4fuze fit that description.

EDIT: I forgot to mention video4fuze is multiplatform. Works very well for me in Ubuntu. I haven't tried in in a Mac OS but it *may* work there too. The home page says it might.

Last edited by skip252; 02-14-2011 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Multi-platform info

Old 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM

hey meetooman,
its a good piece of software, its easy to use, its free, and then i did not have to take care of anything. my idea of playlists on my fuze was this: i wanted to have shuffled music (i think Fuze's shuffle is crap). Primarily, my priority was the Genius Playlists that iTunes produced (Cool songs that get well with each other, based on worldwide ratings). None of the programs mentioned would inject imported playlists into my Fuze. what to do? i couldnt have gone creating a playlist in iTunes and then selecting the songs on Fuze one by one and making a playlist, as is the concept of video4fuze and YAPL (with all due respect, i could have done it that same way on my fuze's OF only). But this handy program let me import the playlists onto my player without any of the problems that Winamp, MediaMonkey (syncing a playlist here is asking MM to copy the songs into the player) and iTunes itself had given me (video4fuze and YAPL couldnt even import playlists)...so here i was.....for the software...Our priorities are different, plus its a clean free software. @skip252, there is nothing like the problems you mentioned (sure you had used the same program at the first place?)...free and that means no activation...it takes care of everything so...

also, this Playlist Creator Might work with wine..? and Mac has that XP mode i guess?? Also, video4fuze and YAPL were made, coded, keeping sansa in mind. While the playlist creator wasnt.infact i am glad it worked....Seriously, give it a try....wont hurt you anyway.

and yup, all the "behind the scene" action that takes place is the "creation of the .m3u/.pls file"...i mean just the bar moves denothing completion of task....nothing else i guess...
Thanks Guys.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator

I knew about oddgravity years ago. It's the same program. And it still tries to call home. I won't be using it or recommending it.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM

but how would they call? they dont even ask for ur phone number ther!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmmm, to be fair, that oddgravity/playlist creator seemed to throw in a minimal amount of registry entries, mostly benign from what I see after a cursory regedit search.

Running the app now and Threatfire, which I find pretty good at catching stuff trying to phone home is not seeing anything either. My other security stuff is also quiet so possibly a good sign? Perhaps oddgravity/author has fixed/changed those earlier issues skip252 - ProcessExplorer doesn't show any funny business either though I ain't no security expert.

Still, as an RB user now, like you, I probably will have zero utility for this app - no need to make things more complicated for myself.

@Meetooman, I do see where you are coming from with the criticisms of the front end GUI on this thing. It is indeed spare but I don't mind so much. Again, I won't ever use it in all likelihood but perhaps may be of use to some, if indeed it is clean these days.
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 02-14-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Take a look at the definition of "calling home" here. Please understand that I am NOT saying this program does anything wrong. However it's behavior as I describe in my first post in this thread sets off alarm bells for me. It's been quite a while since I've had any malware problems. *crosses fingers* Part of that has been avoiding apps that make me uncomfortable. If I don't implicitly trust a program I simply find an alternative that I do trust.

This program collects statistics. You can see that when it tells you how many playlists you've made. You or I have no idea what other statistics are included in that database. It then wants to make a 'Net connection each time I create a playlist. In order to make the solicited donation I would have to access my Paypal account. Since I have no idea what, if any, of the collected statistics will be transmitted I feel I may make myself vulnerable during that transmission. It's not worth that feeling of vulnerability to me to create a playlist.

Overly paranoid? Perhaps. But there's a lot of hidden stuff out there that I avoid whenever possible. It's just part of my personal guide to safe computing that has kept my PC healthy for a good, long while now.

I've found other programs that work well for my uses. Before I Rockboxed my Sansas both YAPL and video4fuze made the combined playlists I wanted. Now with Rockbox both of them have become superfluous. However several people I know still use them and they both behave as they've done in the past. Even though I don't currently use either of them I'm still comfortable recommending both of them.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Smile

@lestatar, thanks for the input....really appreciate the effort

@skip252, with all due respect, i'd say. try the program if u need to. because:
i am using windows 7 x64 bit, and in the firewall there is no program like the Playlist Creator thats even allowed...so i believe the issues you had MUST have been only in the past versions of the program.
Thanks for your input though, sir!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator

That's just the thing. There's no "need" to for me or anyone else I know. You post your recommendations, I'll post mine and my concerns.

EDIT: This just struck me. If you just now found out what a "phone home" program is how valid is your advice on how to stay safe on the 'Net?

Last edited by skip252; 02-14-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@skip252: All true. Good point. Since I have not actually used the app for anything, no harm or foul for me.

@psgarcha92, skip raises very valid points and bottom line for me is that I have no need for the app as well. Thus I won't be using it either and thus it makes it difficult for me to recommend. However, as skip also says, we all have different stuff we like to use and recommend. So no worries there. 'Nuff said on this subject from me

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies