android
Old 02-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Exclamation ZVW CF Hard drive upgrade possible?

Hey Everyone,

I currently own both the ZVM and the ZVW. After reading through the threads on the ZVM I have successfully replaced my ZVM's hard drive with a 32GB CF card (kingston elite pro CF/32GB-S2 and using zif CF adaptor) and it has been working great.

Now I want to do the same with the ZVW.

However it seems the ZVW is a little bit more pickier at accepting CF cards. I even tried my 32gb that works fine in the ZVM but it doesnt even read that card.

I have successfully got an hitachi 6gb microdrive to read as well as a sandisk ultra II 1.0gb but these are too small to be of any use. I was going to try zif SSD but before I make such a purchase I wanted to first know why does one card woke in the ZVM but not the ZVW, and second, has anyone successfully got a 32gb or larger CF or SSD card/drive to work in the ZVW?

I am trying to move away from normal hard drives as they tend to make noise and die over time. any info on the topic would be of much appreciation. Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM

You are in uncharted territory. A pioneer. I will watch this thread and see what you find.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Well no luck yet. I picked up a viliv s5 and before reinstalling the os I decided to try out the 32gb sandisk SSD in the vision w. same results as the CF card, it did not even recognize it.

I also picked up another CF zif adapter (this one has a switch for master/slave mode) but still no luck with the 32gb CF card. I did noticed that when I put it in slave mode, it does read the 32gb CF card (well at least the led on the adapter lights up), but it never completes the reformat.

I wish I had money to buy every card/SDD device on the market to try out, but it is an expensive testing process. I am thinking about just cutting my loses and going for the Samsung HS12YHA 120gb drive (I am really against the Hitachi and Toshiba drives, they seem to be more on the cheap side).

Maybe once I get enough thankyou points I will get a bestbuy giftcard and keep buying and returning different cards until I find something that works. but probably wont be for a few months at least (I just spent my points this Christmas on a music keyboard).

Ill try and keep posting when I have more results.

Last edited by zerogoki; 03-23-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: im a n00b, FTL

Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 AM

I have a Samsung HS12YHA 120gb and it will not detect. Dont waste your money. It wont work. If you dont believe me, you can buy this one off me. I still dont know what I am going to do with it.
The only drive that is proven is the Toshiba MK1214GAH.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:16 PM

ugh, what is the deal with the ZVW? why is it so much more difficult with other drives than the ZVM?

I wish I tried the 32gb SSD card on the ZVM just to see if it would read it like it does with everything else.

Thats weird about the samsung drive, I thought I read somewhere that someone got it to work with the ZVW, but I believe you if you say it doesnt work. Thanks for saving me the money and trouble on that idea.

I guess all I have left to try is see if I can piss off a retail store by buying and returning CF cards until I find something that works (assuming something will work).

Oh fyi I also tried one of those SD to CF adapter modules which made the led on the zif CF adapter light up and I was able to reformat the card. but the first time in the loading of the firmware it just froze up and when I restarted the player it would just say on the ZEN loading screen (never get to the screen that says ZEN Vision W). the second time I tried it the player did automatically restart, but again never left the ZEN loading screen.

for those two attempts I used a 2gig sandisk SD card. Not sure if I should keep trying the SD to CF adapter method or just stick with CF cards.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Well I give you credit for persistance and being a loyal Creative fan. Too bad Creative doesnt support the fanatics like they should.
I will double check that drive to be sure that it doesnt work. I will repost if I was wrong.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 PM

Okay, I wanted to be sure that I was telling the truth. So I plugged the drive into another ZVW and tried it out.
The ZVW recognized the drive and was able to format it. The problem was during the firmware installation.
A normal FW installation takes up to 2 minutes.
This FW install took 7 minutes and then failed completely.
There is obviously some kind of conflict between the ZVW controller and the drive.
I had a similar issue when I tried the Toshiba MK1231GAH 120gb single platter drive.
So I saved you some $$ and some time too. See? What a nice guy! Ha ha.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 AM

@Audiobooks4Me: dude, try this thread

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60796 Maybe the same SSD will revive your ZVW?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 PM

Default Custom hard drive mods

There have been several Zen Vision W units modified with compact flash cards and disc drives capacities form 32GB up to 120GB. Some of the successful mods are discussed on other blogs or mod sites. Check this thread for some links and information:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...ghlight=drives

A few other Zen sites worth searching:
http://www.epizenter.net
http://onemansblog.com/2007/07/20/tu...-w-hard-drive/
Interested in modifying the OS functions or appearance? Look for the "CreativeWizard" download here:
http://downloads.techinhiding.com/in..._creative_zen/

Please post your successes (and other-than-success" results) here or in a new thread for us all to share.

Happy-ZVW