android
Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Buddy

Default Zune HD now in Canada

... surprised there isn't a thread of commentary about this. We went live with Zune HD in Canada on Zune Originals this weekend (http://www.zuneoriginals.net) and so our friends up north can now order Zune HD devices in 16/32/64 in any of 7 colours and of course with custom engravings of images you can upload yourself...

Seems some folks here missed it.

Cheers, Dave.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

maybe cause most of us aren't interested. Isn't the Zune HD rumoured to be discontinued soon?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:02 PM

Don't take this as disrespect, but the idea that most of the people aren't interested (which has no support to its claim) really means nothing. Dave just wanted to make people aware that were interested, but instead you have to be somewhat rude to his statement. If it doesn't apply to you, then move on, but I'm sure some people will be happy.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:11 PM

Yea, I heard about it on the podcast. Next move is the music marketplace. I know its a hard road to go down when it comes to that but I am sure the Zune team can do it.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Buddy

Yes - to be clear, this wasn't me "scolding" the group for not jumping up and down and dancing around... rather just me pointing it out.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:45 PM

So the Zune hardware is being sold in Canada (as it already has been for quite a while, unofficially), but the subscription stuff and similar online haberdasheries/shenanigans aren't available?

Posted to the front page: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/02/z...ble-in-canada/

Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM

Seems like they're just getting rid of some excess Zune HD's they were unable to sell in the US.

I'd jump all over a 32gb or 64gb model if they slashed the price in half. Otherwise, I'm not spending good money on a dead-end product with less features than the competition.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Seems like they're just getting rid of some excess Zune HD's they were unable to sell in the US.
Exactly what I was thinking.

The Zune HD was released Sept 15 2009 (according to Wiki), so they are only a year or more late with it.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
... surprised there isn't a thread of commentary about this. We went live with Zune HD in Canada on Zune Originals this weekend (http://www.zuneoriginals.net) and so our friends up north can now order Zune HD devices in 16/32/64 in any of 7 colours and of course with custom engravings of images you can upload yourself...

Seems some folks here missed it.

Cheers, Dave.
Zune Originals, okay. Now will the Zune HD be made readily available to other Canadian retailers (bringing with it some sort of shelf presence), or is access (and promotion) expected to stay restricted to this single web portal?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was just at the ZO site, and it says $30 off the 16GB and $70(?) the 32 GB i think. soo tempted to get this to replace my sony walkman/iphone

Old 02-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouss View Post
I was just at the ZO site, and it says $30 off the 16GB and $70(?) the 32 GB i think. soo tempted to get this to replace my sony walkman/iphone

Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM

WOW, its meant to be, the same day my Zune 120 gets designed as home media center! Zune HD it could be, although the Cowon X7 would be soo much roomier.

Sadly, the site is down, it stops loading at 15%

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Weird, why doesn't the pull down menu to choose state/province doesn't show any of the Canadian provinces :S

Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Geez don't be so hostile towards Zune... At least they're finally getting the product out there. Yea, it should have been done a while ago, and yea, it should be available through other retailers, but it's a start. Just cuz you don't give a rat's ass about it doesn't mean other people aren't interested, and if this wasn't posted here, I wouldn't have heard about it. Now let's get some non-US support for the marketplace and whatnot...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Tek View Post
Weird, why doesn't the pull down menu to choose state/province doesn't show any of the Canadian provinces :S
So they are only pretending to offer it to Canadians?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Geez don't be so hostile towards Zune... At least they're finally getting the product out there. Yea, it should have been done a while ago, and yea, it should be available through other retailers, but it's a start.
Er, I'm actually curious if it will reach other retail channels. That wasn't a rhetorical question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
Now let's get some non-US support for the marketplace and whatnot...
Agreed. That would be bigger news.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM

This childish hostility is ridiculous. You do know that all previous Zunes were MP3 players, and thus used primarily for music and video? Has it never occurred to those on here with a personal agenda that the Zune HD is used for the exact same purposes? I have owned the HD twice, and it is an awesome mp3 player ... don't give a damn about apps, not why I bought it. Yes, the hardware is dated -- when compared with recent competition. That doesn't mean the Zune HD is obsolete as an MP3 player though. Please don't confuse your own lack of interest for everyone else who actually might be.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 PM

In fact, zune.net redirects me to the canadian site, while when i click on zune originals it redirects me to the US site, which doesn't let me ship to canada.
Its when I change https://www.zuneoriginals.net/us/catalog/index.aspx
to https://www.zuneoriginals.net/ca/catalog/index.aspx that it freezes.
Damn, and that 32gb for 199$ is so nice, I would buy right away :-)

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM

I've already got a Zune 120, and I'm very happy with it, so I'm quite pleased to hear this news. I am wondering, though, if it's worth picking up a Zune HD now that I can. A friend of mine got one in the States, and it's an absolute joy to use, and the HD video playback is very tempting, way better than the 320x240 I have to compress all the video files on my 120 to. Plus, now it'll work on my Mac!

Though between this and a Windows Phone 7, I'm not sure. There probably isn't a screen on any Canadian WP7 that could match it, or any one that has an HDMI out, and if I'm honest, I'd rather have an Android phone. One thing I do with my Zune a lot is I use it to lug my video collection around, so I can plug it into my friend's TV and watch a movie. It's kind of annoying that it wouldn't be able to store my whole music and my whole video collection, but the videos can probably circulate a bit. Wish I could get that 32GB one while it's $70 off, but I'm entirely skint. Hope the sale will be on for a while...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Zune HD released in late 2009 ..the hype fizzed out like a cheap soda and you expect the people to jump up and down over a product BARELY getting introduced in Canada of all places ?? Not even a sea to cross .. we speak the same language (for the most part) .. its a major trading partner with us and NOW your just getting a 1 year old end of life product to Canada without the marketplace??

And we are supposed to recieve this news as being positive ?
Should we have been more impressed ?
Seriously ?

Who gives a toss if its a media device ?? Media devices dont stand still my dear they require development too. I have never wanted an app machine ... However ..MS opened a pandoras box with the apps thing. They should have focused on getting more MEDIA centric functionality to the device BEFORE messing around with apps . They caused the apps uproar to themselves ... But that argument is for a different time.

for now .. Yeah! .. zuneHD is in canada ... With no marketplace support ... Yeaaah ... er .. oops .. i Yeaahed out of turn ..