android
Old 02-22-2011, 06:05 AM

Default Love my new S545 16GB

My grandkids and wife have iPod shuffles, and since I'm the tech-head in the family I get to do the job of loading the music files onto them.
Incredibly difficult job to do, with many attempts to do it; I even downloaded the user manual and carefully followed the scrappy instructions. No go. Eventually I accidentally hit on how to do it.
Then the iPod scrambled albums, with song tracks being played in random sets even though "shuffle" was off. Took me ages again to figure out how to stop it doing that trick. I hate the way iTunes tries to take control and do the music organising, or get you to buy stuff from iStore. What a racket! So that made me hate iPods

Just bought a Walkman S545. Love it!! so simple to set up and load with music; so simple to operate, manage files from Windows Explorer (I always open up files for everything from Explorer). I've loaded up audio books as well to listen to when I'm in the tent while bushwalking; and I love the fact (since I travel on business a lot) that I can listen to music in motel rooms while I'm away from home (thru the speakers) or thru the earphones in the plane. Much better value for money than iPod nanos. Keep it up, Sony

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM

I loved the battery life and the external speakers. If you were in a quiet place with no one else to to bother you (or be bothered), they worked fine.

In fact, if they made the 540 series in larger capacities, I'd buy them.

HINT, HINT, Sony.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:30 PM

But why oh why can't you edit playlists or delete song/video/photo content from the player itself? Hate having to connect it to the PC to do these things. Also, has anyone else had trouble with the radio feature. Mine can't find any stations!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Hey man, welcome to ABi.

Yeah, your complaint about no OTG playlists on the Sony stuff is pretty common for users like you [and me] who do use playlists - I have complained about this ad nauseum around here

Not sure about ur radio issue tho...Hopefully someone will chime in with some advice...

What do you use to manage your S545 on PC? No OTG playlists sucks but Winamp works well for me on my E345...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-02-2011, 04:20 PM

Hey lestatar, thanks for the welcome

- Yeah, the radio situation is weird. All I get is fuzz even when manually searching through the whole range

- I currently don't use any media manager for it b/c it is boxed up and ready to go back to the store lol. However, when i was messing around with it I was using MediaGo. Its the program I use for my psp (playstation portable).

- I actually joined this site b/c i realized ignorantly buying mp3 players at boxstores is prob not the best way to go. I'd love to find a player that:

1. has built-in speakers
2. can manage/edit playists and delete songs
3. has fm radio
4. something that is easy to use on a long run and without having to look at it (like if it was in my pocket)

Some optional fun things that when combined with the above I obviously wouldn't find all in the same player (except for in a strange dream) would be:
- wi-fi
- cool apps (alarm clocks, calendars, list-making, washes the dishes, etc)
- hd radio
- flash-enabled browser
- extremely podcast and audiobook friendly

Any ideas??! Thanks

Old 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee View Post
Also, has anyone else had trouble with the radio feature. Mine can't find any stations!
Make sure your headphones are plugged in.....the cord is the antenna.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Make sure your headphones are plugged in.....the cord is the antenna.
First of all, LOL. Well, now that the radio works I suppose I'll keep it! I took it out for a second round and I guess the playlist non-functionality isn't really a deal-breaker afterall.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:33 AM

Seeing how most players don't do on-the-go playlist anything, it's not that bad. Just take some time and make the playlists on the computer.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Yeah, this is true these days JSG...

Sadly, I was around when mp3 players were new. My ancient Creative Zen Xtra players had OTG playlists.

In this regard, I do feel that DAPs/PMPs have gone backwards [or rather, the manufacturers have decided to forego/skimp this feature, one which I really find invaluable]. A shame IMO since this can be added in as FW alone, requiring no HW mods.

This, along with on-device delete [which my ancient Creatives also did].

<sigh> what can you do...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies