android
Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 PM

Default Pros and cons of Archos 32 (43?) vs. iTouch 4g

Hey guys,

great forum! I'm another ex-Zune HD user (refugee? :]) and recently decided to look for more PMP style devices, and the Archos 32 really looked nice, but after reading some reviews, like the crappy camera, low resolution, some apps not working, etc. So my question is, is the Archos 32 worth the money? Or shall I buy a Archos 43. Here are some underlying functions I am aiming for

1) Video quality
2) Fast internet speed (ZHD lacked :/)
3) basic apps like Facebook chat, MSN, AIM, Notepad, etc (I don't need 200k apps, just ones I will use :])
4) Sound quality

Thanks, and again, NICE forum. Been browsing here for awhile now.

S

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2011, 10:03 AM

IMO the screen of touch is much better(though smaller than 43, which is resistive).
I have no complaints with itouch sound quality.
But I miss "true" drag and drop for touch.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:56 AM

Hey,

thanks for the reply. After doing some more research I found that the resolution for the A32 was pretty low. In your opinion, is it still worth it? I really want to be careful about my purcahse because the ZHD cost me a lot, and am putting it on the market, so hence the questions.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig5560 View Post

1) Video quality
2) Fast internet speed (ZHD lacked :/)
3) basic apps like Facebook chat, MSN, AIM, Notepad, etc (I don't need 200k apps, just ones I will use :])
4) Sound quality
1) As far as video quality in terms of watching video on the device, the a43 with the biggest screen will provide the most comfortable experience. I find the A5IT (4.8 inch screen) the minimum size for comfortable video though. The A43 is ok, but anything smaller really gets progressively worse. The resolution is less important than the physical screen size imo.

Regarding the A32, i find watching a whole film is a bit much for the small screen size, but for streaming a couple of episodes of something with the flash plugin in bed its brillliant. Cannot comment on the ipod though but as i said for long video watching i found the the larger A5IT to be the optimal size.

As far as using the video out on the device, i find the composite out of the 32 to be at a perfectly decent resolution (only have 20 something inch tv though - for anthing bigger the 43's hdmi might be more important).

archos devices have much better codec supprt than the ipod so probably no need to convert the files nor use itunes to put the filles n the device.

2. Internet speed on the 32 and 43 is apparently limited to something around 64 Mbit/s on wifi N. No idea regarding ipod.

3. I prefer android apps to the apple ones, they are cheaper/free and no need to hack the device to sideload anything dubious.

4. Sound quality on my 32 is better than with previous ipod touch's in my experience nd i would assume that the 43 is the same (though it has a different hardware for the input jack). Not sure of whether the sound is improved on the latest ipod touch 4g though.

Overall it obviously depends on what you want. Between the 32 and the 43 i prefer the 32. The screen's resolution is not as crisp as the 43 or ipod, but the touchscreen response is much better than th 43. The ipod however beats both (though the 32's is by far the best resistive screen ive ever used and is not too far away).

The 32 is the cheapest and offers the most bang for buck. If you want to watch lots of movies on your tv screen then i would go for the 32 or the 43. If you want to watch movies on the device i would choose the 43. As a music player would say that the 32 is the best of all 3.

Im not very fond of the apple ipod simply because of the software and connectivity limitations. However, if that doesnt bother you then i guess its still a contender.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Hey, thank you for that extensive reply! But I have some more questions.

If I wanted to get a A32 and upgraded everything (Flash 10.1, etc) would it be reasonably fast to load movies on Hulu or Megavideo (just as an example.) I really want to stay way from Apple because I hear that their PMP/MP3s die after 2 yrs or w/e. Another thing is there are no firmware updates which forces people to upgrade every year D: to get new features. If someone with an iTouch 4g could reply regarding the internet, I would really appreciate it. Another question is I've heard Archos has a bad repuation of having really buggy products, is that true or bs?

P.S. I've noticed in videos the speed of the Archos 32, 43, etc, seem WAY faster than the ZHD

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2011, 05:08 PM

I can't help with the A32 but I do have an A43 and for watching videos it's great. I also have an Ipod Touch 3rd generation and it's screen isn't nearly as good. And I'm not just talking about size. I suspect the 4th gen Itouch would be better.

The A43's speaker is both much better and louder than the Itouch.

For connectivity if I'm near the router they're about the same. I haven't done any testing but I have done a bit of browsing and downloading with both and if one is faster it's not enough to call attention to itself.

That said, if I'm not near the router, which I'm often not in the mornings, connectivity is iffy on the A43 in locations where it's still pretty good on the Itouch.

I also have a Creative Zen Vision:W and a Cowon O2 (my favorite for videos) and I think the A43 might become my new favorite. I'm really pleased with this thing.

Barry

Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Welcome to ABI!!

Can't speak on either Archos but for the Touch here are my thoughts regarding your questions:

Awesome video quality, but only on the 4th gen Touch
Fast internet and fast web page loading
All of the basic apps are awesome, plus there's Netflix
Decent default sound quality, Awesome sound quality with either of the 2 EQ apps

I'm not too fond of iTunes so not being able to drag and drop is one of the main downsides IMO. If you don't mind the requirement of a program then I highly recommend the Touch. Plus you can use other programs to sync such as MediaMonkey, Winamp, etc. And your statement that they don't last longer than 2 yrs... I've known several people who have had it last longer than that. The most common problem I see is people breaking the glass screen.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Thanks, and sorry for the late reply. I think I will go with an iTouch 4G because of the quality and the features, but I still need to do some more research . One more question. If I wanted sound and video quality, but minus wifi capabilities, would the iTouch still be the choice to get?

Thanks,

Selig

Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig5560 View Post
Thanks, and sorry for the late reply. I think I will go with an iTouch 4G because of the quality and the features, but I still need to do some more research . One more question. If I wanted sound and video quality, but minus wifi capabilities, would the iTouch still be the choice to get?

Thanks,

Selig
If you are not interested in wifi and apps look no further than the Cowon J3.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Google is your friend.

Last edited by Olley; 03-04-2011 at 06:20 PM.