android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone > Windows Phones

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Strider_Aus's Avatar
Strider_Aus Strider_Aus is offline
Windows Phone Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 498
Default MS Pulls the pre-update update for WP7 off the marketplace for Samsung devices...

http://www.winrumors.com/microsoft-t...msung-devices/

HANG OFF updating your samsung WP7 !!!

Quote:
Microsoft has “identified a technical issue with the Windows Phone update process” but that the issue only impacts a small number of phones. “In response to this emerging issue, we have temporarily taken down the latest software update for Samsung phones in order to correct the issue and as soon as possible will redistribute the update.

The issues stem from a Windows Phone 7 operating system update issued on Monday. The update, more of a patch, was ironically pushed to improve the platform update process. Microsoft is preparing to issue its first major platform update, codenamed “NoDo”, in early March.
Ouch! A reason NOT to be the first-in guinnea pig.
__________________
<blank>
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
medion's Avatar
medion medion is offline
Anythingbutiphone Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Posts: 1,929
Default

So even with WP7, Samsung is still last to update, LOL.

Sorry, definitely not trying to troll, but hard not to kick a dog when it's down.
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=DimGray][U][B]Phone:[/B][/U] Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-I9100) 16GB w/32GB MicroSDHC
[U][B]DAP:[/B][/U] Sansa Clip+ 8GB [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=DimGray]w/32GB MicroSDHC[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM
kasrhp's Avatar
kasrhp kasrhp is offline
Contributing Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 805
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
So even with WP7, Samsung is still last to update, LOL.

Sorry, definitely not trying to troll, but hard not to kick a dog when it's down.
Not trolling....just funny!!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Strider_Aus's Avatar
Strider_Aus Strider_Aus is offline
Windows Phone Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 498
Default

http://tinyurl.com/5takv5x

Winrumours <INSERT RISK HERE!> suggested fix for a bricked Omnia from the pre-update update.

Try at your own risk - if your Omnia was bricked trying to patch the pre-update.

PS 90+ successful deployment of pre-updated based on MS advice (see my other post re blog) - with majority of failures down to dodgy internet connection or insufficient device room. Very small amount of devices affected negatively outside of these issues.
__________________
<blank>
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
saratoga saratoga is online now
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,604
Default

Not a good start for MS.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Strider_Aus's Avatar
Strider_Aus Strider_Aus is offline
Windows Phone Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 498
Default

With just over 90% of devices to date updated with no issues, and the majority of the remaining 10% failed for internet connectivity issues during the update process or insufficient space to manage install....I don't think they are handling their first update too badly.

I'm more concerned by the carrier-can-hold-out on the update issue (for 1 update - as MS can force a subsequent update to go out with the prior update where a carrier blocks the first).

Gen, Update 1 - Multiple devices and handset manufacturers, 90%+ hitrate OK...not too bad in my books.

IT should certainly get better however....
__________________
<blank>
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Broodbeleg Broodbeleg is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 97
Default

Mine updated just fine.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 PM.