android
Old 03-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Default I just pulled the trigger on a D3

Been thinking about this for a week, and finally decided it was worth it. This is replacing my S9 (assuming I can sell my old device on FleaBay) and, to a certain extent, my Archos 32.

Both the S9 and the 32 have certain things that they do better than this device (battery life and uPnP support come to mind, plus Flash on the 32). But, the D3 should effectively replace both devices, so less to carry around. A 32GB Wifi Android device with a microSD slot, an AMOLED screen and excellent sound definitely has appeal.

The bad, of course, is the Telechips CPU. Software can be fixed, but Telechips will probably never support Flash, even if they manage to upgrade to Froyo. But that's not a deal-breaker for me. Great sound is of primary importance, a storage slot, and the ability to add apps from the Market.

Now I know that there's no Market on it OOTB, but I'm fairly certain that this can be easily rooted and Gapps can be added fairly easily. The problem here is not adding Gapps, the problem is creating a ROM replacement that can be used by the masses. I have a thread over in iaudiophile where I attempted this and it sounds like their updates are signed.

Worst case, you could probably use adb with a script to add them - I already looked at their init.rc and debugging is on, by default (which is a good thing). If I can root it and get the Market on it, at the very least I will have an adb script next week. I don't know if I can get around their signed updates, however.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you get the android market on it, I'll be buying one. Hope their price keeps coming down. The D3 certainly needs to get cracked open for Google apps and market.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
If you get the android market on it, I'll be buying one. Hope their price keeps coming down. The D3 certainly needs to get cracked open for Google apps and market.
This.

I've been MP3 Player-less since December, I can't wait any longer.