android
Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Default Help? Into the Washing Machine

Hey there,

I got a Sansa Fuze in January, used off eBay. I was enjoying it -- my first MP3 player -- until I left it in my jacket and put it in the wash... and didn't take it out until 8 hours later.

I dried it out using the old rice trick (though I couldn't help not turn it on immediately after I found it.)

Long story short, it seems to have survived ... somewhat. When I plug it in to my USB port, I get the Sansa exploding logo screen, and the "writing" and "connected" message.

The battery logo was initially empty, but now it shows fully charged. I can also access the data I had on the player via my computer. The problem is, when I unplug it from the USB port, it no longer works.

I think it may be the battery. I was thinking of buying a replacement battery in hopes of salvaging it -- but other things, such as the wheel or headphone jack may not work, and I'd have wasted the cost of a battery. I can't seem to turn the player on when I have it plugged in.

Do y'all have any suggestions? I figure I have two options: buy a new battery and run the risk of wasting that cash, or selling the player as-is and buying a new player altogether. It's not too much of a difference, probably.

I'd spend $15 for the new battery. A new player might run me $30, and I can sell the old one for parts, hopefully for around $10.

Also, can you suggest any other diagnostics I might try? Do you think it's the battery?

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator

If you turned it on before it was completely dry it may be fried. If that's the case it's may be better to get what you can and move on to another player.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acchang4 View Post
... I can't seem to turn the player on when I have it plugged in. Do y'all have any suggestions? ...
Rather than plugging into pc, use a wall AC/USB charger to connect it to and it should turn on so you can test the other things you are concerned about. From my experience I'd say it's the battery too but if you turned it on from the start, who knows what else you may have fried.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM

ooh, good advice.

I plugged it into a wall charger.

The wheel works initially, then tends to get stuck. So maybe it's time for a new one.

Thanks!