android
Old 03-13-2011, 04:00 AM

Default Cowon iAudio9 as replacement for Clix2?

Hi,

I'm looking for a new player with the following features:
  1. great audio quality
  2. small form factor
  3. good battery life
I've narrowed it down to the Cowon iAudio9 but I'm not sure on its battery life. Cowon iAudio7 (although old model) seems to have all 3 of my criteria.

Another candidate is the Sansa Clip+ but battery life seems an issue.

Is there anyone who upgraded from iAudio7 to 9 and can give me advice on whether it was a worthwhile upgrade (given the step backward ito battery?).

I use my phone for all my video needs, so video is not in the mix for my decision, and why I'm not considering, for example, a Cowon J3 (which has 1. and 3. but not 2, in my criteria).

Thanks in advance

Chris

PS I use Westone3's

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Banned

I had an i9 for a short while and it is a good player.
Battery life is not as good as previous Cowons or other newer models; but you get a really slim form factor, and it has the same Jet Effects 3 and BBE sound enhancents as the J3.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:44 AM

thanks, nodirectionhome

Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 AM

"good" battery life is down to the beholder's eye. it's running a looooong time for me. but i don't have it playing on a daily basis for complete work time or something like that...

Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure about how you quantify “good battery life” in hours, but back in March of last year (2010) I tested the battery life of the i9 post here and I got just under 26 hours but I didn’t fool around with it as I mostly listen to tunes so that might be a bit high if you like to play around with the players features. I have not tested it again since and IMHO it’s a good player to get a good feel for Cowon players and their features (JetEffect 3.0).

You can’t go wrong with the 3 players you are looking at, I still use and love my i7 but keep in mind that cowon never added 3.0 to it so it does not have gapless :/ Aside from that it’s a great player that I still use because it still has great battery life, I like the form factor and I’m so use to the UI. That said it is a discontinued player and I would probably recommend to look else where unless you’re getting a great deal on it.

This brings us to the Sansa Clip, probably my favorite of the 3 because it runs rockbox, I still have 3 of the original Clips so I haven’t moved to the plus but I probably will before they discontinue it. The only down side here is how many hours of battery life you need, you might feel better with a rockboxed Fuze as I understand it gets a more respectable battery life. I can’t really answer your question “Is there anyone who upgraded from iAudio7 to 9 and can give me advice on whether it was a worthwhile upgrade (given the step backward ito battery?).” Because I still have both and use them but if you want long battery life, you can live without gapless, the price it right and you’re not looking toward the J3, the i7 is still a great player IMO.

Good luck in selecting and let us know what you decide

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM

Hi WalkGood,

Thanks for all the sage advice! It saved me a couple of wrong turns in getting the right mp3 player. What I ended up buying was a 4gb Sansa Clip+, and a 16gb card.

I have "rockboxed" it.

For a small outlay I have a great sounding 20gb audio player, with a small form factor. I'm getting approx 15 hours battery life which I can live with.

I'm looking forward to the Clip++ (with 40 hr battery life--or the son of iAudio7 from Cowon, perhaps...

Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp888 View Post
... or the son of iAudio7 from Cowon ...
lol, you and me both, congrats on the new Clip ♪ ♪ ♪

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc