Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2011, 03:37 AM
Default FLAC vs. MP3 bitrate 320

It would appear that there would be a significant gain in sound quality by using the FLAC format over the highest mp3 settings considering how many people on this forum use a lossless format. Especially since FLAC files take up twice as much space as mp3s at bitrate 320. So I made the following “experiment”:
Same digitally recorded track (pipe organ) ripped at mp3 bitrate 230, 320 and FLAC, which amounts to 13.8 MB, 19.1 MB, and 41.0 MB respectively.
I could hear some gain between the 230 and 320 tracks, but almost none between 320 and FLAC (“almost” might even be an illusion, because this was not a blind test after all).
My collection of classical music is fast approaching 60 GB. If I chose carefully, there might be room for an upgrade to bitrate 320 (most files are 230 or even lower), but updating to FLAC would be a different story entirely. Of course these files are for my ears alone, and I am well into the second half of my life. Still, I am intrigued: can other people really hear a “significant” difference? Should I perhaps have tested a wider range of sound tracks, because some recordings are more sensitive to the compressing process than others? Will be grateful for your input! (Cowon J3 and Monster Turbine Copper edition).

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]