android
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Samsung Moderator

Default Galaxy S Wifi 4.0 and 5.0 Quick Preview

At the Samsung France Open Day (March, 17th) I've had the occasion to try the new Samsung Android players:
-Galaxy S Wifi 4.0 or YP-G1 (also known as "Galaxy Player" or YP-GB1 in Korea)
-Galaxy S Wifi 5.0 or YP-G70 (YP-GB70 in Korea)
As usual, Samsung chose weird names. I think that's a bad idea to name them "Galaxy S". People may think it's a smartphone... "Wifi" doesn't make sense either, it's a technology, not a product name. Only "4.0" and "5.0" make sense to me as it clearly says the size of the screen.

The 2 new devices complete the Galaxy Player series that only included the Galaxy Player 50 (YP-G50) until now.
I scheduled to review the Galaxy Player 50 and even started the ABI review but I finally gave up as this device disappointed me too much, I could not find the motivation to finish the review, sorry for that.
Fortunately, the 2 new devices look more promising.

PS: all following spec are temporary and may still change before the final release. You can download the French product sheets in attachment.

Galaxy S Wifi 4.0

I guess that's the one we have been waiting for so long time. It is already released in Korea in a DMB (TV tuner) version and comes in France (and probably other countries) in May.
Basically it is a Galaxy S without the phone features, without 3G connection, with a different display (4" 800 x 480 Super Clear LCD instead of 4" 800 x 480 Super Amoled), a different camera (3,2MP instead of 5MP), different size (64.2 x 123.7 x 9.9mm, 121g instead of 64.2 x 122.4 x 9.9mm, 119g) and a different battery capacity (1200 mAh instead of 1500 mAh).
Regarding these specifications, the Galaxy S is better than the Wifi 4.0 but don't worry the Wifi 4.0 doesn't look like a "cheap" Galaxy S.

It runs Android 2.2 (will be upgraded to 2.3 later) and thanks to the 1Ghz CPU, it is fast enough.
For me it solves all issues I had with the Galaxy Player 50:
-Better performances (on the G50 the CPU is too slow and there is not enough RAM)
-Better screen (the 400*240 3.2" LCD of the G50 is a shame)
-There is a File Browser (only tag navigation on the G50)

From what I heard (but I was not in an appropriate environment), the sound quality is as good as on the other Samsung DAPs, to be confirmed later however.
All usual formats are supported (MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, OGG, WAV, FLAC). However, SoundAlive effects are still there (see my Q3 review to know what I think of them)

With its 4" display, watching videos is a pleasure but due to the high resolution (800*480), badly encoded videos won't look nice. Like the YP-M1, it supports 720p videos and of course most standard formats (MP4, 3GP, AVI,WMV, ASF, MKV, FLV)

In the room there were too many wifi-connected devices so the network suffered and I have not been able to test the wifi-connection and the internet browser but it should be alright: Google chrome lite + Flash Lite 10.1.
Contrary to some competitors, you can access the Android Market.
Angry Birds just worked fine

I tried the 3.2MP camera too quickly to be able to tell you how is the pictures quality but we'll see that in the full review later. With the front camera you can enjoy VoIP video. Indeed, Skype and Qik are pre-installed.

This device also features bluetooth 3.0, a RDS FM tuner, GPS, G-sensor, microSDHC slot.

It will be available in white color and in 8 or 16GB capacity in May (France). The price has to be determined but you can bet on between 200 and 300.

Galaxy S Wifi 5.0

It's like a big PMP or a small tab.
For me, a 5" display is too big to listen to music but that's very nice to surf on the web.
At first it looks just like a Wifi 4.0 with a bigger screen but actually there are some other differences:
-it has a WVGA (800 x 480) TFT LCD display. I watched the same movie on both devices side by side and without any doubt, the quality is better on the Wifi 4.0: higher definition (96 000 px/inch vs 76 800 px/inch), better brightness and better contrast. I don't say the wifi 5.0's screen is bad, it did not hurt my eyes contrary to the G50's screen but if you can compare it side by side with a Super Clear LCD or (Super) Amoled one, the difference is obvious.
-3MP camera. 3 vs 3.2MP should not make a huge difference but at least that means the two devices don't have the same camera. We'll see in the final review which one is better
-better battery capacity (2500 mAh) and better announced battery life (up to 60hrs in music playback and 8hrs in video playback vs 36hrs and 5hrs for the Wifi 4.0)

The other spec are the same, it also runs Android 2.2 and will be upgraded to 2.3, it has a 1Ghz CPU, Wifi N chip, RDS FM tuner etc etc
It will also be released in May in France (and Europe?) in 8 or 16GB capacity. No price yet but the Product Manager told me we can expect a price between 300 and 400 for the 16GB version. Ouch....

From left to right: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy S Wifi 5.0, Galaxy S Wifi 4.0, YP-Q3

Some accessories for mobile phones and mp3 players: on the left, the earphones from the TicToc and on the right, new 100 IEM.

Conclusion
After a quite disappointing G50, finally the Galaxy Player series gets interesting. It's probably too soon to claim the Wifi 4.0 is an "iPod Touch-Killer" but if Samsung keeps prices reasonable (unfortunately I guess they won't...), it might be a serious competitor. The Wifi 5.0 is like the missing link between the tabs and the PMPs. It's a bit too big for me but the Product Manager seemed to really believe there is a market for this device so why not?
Oh and something I did not mention previously: the design. It's not really original for sure, it looks like an iPod Touch. Some will love it, others will hate it, it's up to you to decide!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wifi_4.0-5.0_product-sheets.zip (1.12 MB, 77 views)
File Type: zip Wifi_4.0-5.0_pictures.zip (2.70 MB, 52 views)

Last edited by lebellium; 03-20-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Samsung Moderator

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me but don't forget they are still prototypes and I don't have them in my hands anymore^^

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM

wow, thanks for the preview!
they look nice, and I've been waiting for these to come out for over a year now!
I'm interested to see how the sound quality compares to the P3. If it is not on par, I'll go the iPod route, but if Samsung has it figured out, Ill go try and count my pennies

It looks pretty thick, but its only 2mm thicker than the iTouch.
It will be interesting to see how the price works out. Hope its not too crazy.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 AM

So there's no 32/64GB model? 8/16GB is pretty small for a PMP, even though you can add a 32GB SD card.

The WiFi 4.0 with 16GB should cost less than the new iPod Touch 32GB (they don't offer a 16GB model for comparison) which is $319 CAD. So the WiFi 4.0 should be priced at around $280 CAD if it wants to compete.

BTW, is this actually coming to Canada... or do Canadians get shafted again?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the preview

I've got one question. Will there be any other color options besides the white backplate?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
So there's no 32/64GB model? 8/16GB is pretty small for a PMP, even though you can add a 32GB SD card.

The WiFi 4.0 with 16GB should cost less than the new iPod Touch 32GB (they don't offer a 16GB model for comparison) which is $319 CAD. So the WiFi 4.0 should be priced at around $280 CAD if it wants to compete.

BTW, is this actually coming to Canada... or do Canadians get shafted again?
No 32/64GB model. But maybe if the product is very successful they'll release a 32GB version later?

Samsung Canada, like many other subsidiaries, doesn't sell mp3 players anymore so I highly doubt you'll see them there.

edit: They are both available in 32GB version in Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
Thanks for the preview

I've got one question. Will there be any other color options besides the white backplate?
I guess no

Last edited by lebellium; 03-20-2011 at 12:15 PM.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Hopefully this device will come into my hands this spring. LOVE YOU SAMSUNG ♥

Last edited by SprayMyPerfume; 03-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:22 PM

looks good. too bad this will either A) not come to the us for any number of reasons or B) actually make it but cost way too much for me to justify buying one.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Samsung Moderator

I know it sounds incredible regarding the destiny of previous products on the US market BUT actually these ones should really be released in the USA too! source: http://www.samsunghub.com/2011/03/16...ayer-5-for-us/

But I'm pretty sure they will be very expensive...

Old 03-20-2011, 05:29 PM

The price is too steep IMO maybe if it were a comparable price to the ipod touch then I would consider it since it really doesn't do much more other than have a better camera and a gps. I'm willing to bet there will be an ipod touch with a gps this year when the new line of ipods come out with very little increase in price. Sorry if that sounds like a bit of a rant but price really kills the deal with me and these things since I am looking to replace my aging ipod touch 2g which is dying with a new device and ideally an android device with capacitive screen that is 4" or under. But apple is ok once jailbroken

Old 03-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Banned

^^ Then get an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S and you will get a better deal than any iPod Touch: GPS, FM radio, SAMOLED, microSDHC slot, front camera, Android, etc.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 AM

I'm korean... well im korean american. I went to a korean market site, because i fell in LOVE with this player. (i dont know which one though, D3 (Cowon for it's sound quality), 5", or the 4".
From what i am reading in this one, is that 4" obviously has a better screen.
Then, i would guess the 5" is just a plain LCD screen? Is that better then the retina screen for Ipod touch?
The batteries are weak, but it can replaceable, yes just like cell phones. It's 1200 because that's the battery most cellphones have and it can be switched after each one is dead.
How about the sound quality? NO ONE in all the reviews have mention about the sound quality, they only mention that it has two speakers (more than the Galaxy S phone) .
The price in the korean market for 8GB!! is can be estimated about $430 dollars right now, i know it's overpriced.
And right now they have more accessories than P3 has! (Yes more choices on cases and etc.)
Also does the Galaxy player (both of the 5" and the 4") have any other ports like HDMI for example?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM

Everyone's comparing this to the iPod Touch, but no one's comparing it to the Archos 43. There don't seem to be very many differences other than GPS and front-facing camera. Amazon currently has the 16GB Archos 43 for only $220. I'd be surprised if Samsung comes close to that.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM

If you can deal with the 43's screen. I bought one from B&H and returned it the next day.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 PM

It looks like I'm better off getting a Galaxy S phone! Other than sound EQ what is the difference? I'm also not a fan of having a plank in my pocket, it looks huge. The Q3 seems to be the only device for a music listeners. I love my P3 and loved my p2 before it. But this seems to be just a stripped phone. 200-300 euro?? God knows how many dollars that is! Anyway, it looks like a nice device and it probably is but I think I'll be getting the Cowon J3 instead, or a Galaxy S phone if the sound quality isn't rubbish.
</rant>

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM

I'm kinda put off on Samsung at this point. I have a P3, and I like the hardware.. But, I'm still sitting here with a player that advertises support for flac and ogg vorbis, but doesn't support album art and tags on them. So I still have to transcode all my music to mp3 just to get them to be browse-able by tags and have album art. The hardware rocks. I just don't like the way Samsung almost totally abandons support and updates once they have your money. If the P3 supported something as simple and basic as vorbis comments, I'd be 100% satisfied with it and they would have my continued business.

As it stands, these new players really are just crippled phones. And, from experience, I can expect advertised features to be poorly implemented, or incomplete, and to never see them fully implemented later through a firmware update.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlord View Post
I'm kinda put off on Samsung at this point. I have a P3, and I like the hardware.. But, I'm still sitting here with a player that advertises support for flac and ogg vorbis, but doesn't support album art and tags on them. So I still have to transcode all my music to mp3 just to get them to be browse-able by tags and have album art. The hardware rocks. I just don't like the way Samsung almost totally abandons support and updates once they have your money. If the P3 supported something as simple and basic as vorbis comments, I'd be 100% satisfied with it and they would have my continued business.

As it stands, these new players really are just crippled phones. And, from experience, I can expect advertised features to be poorly implemented, or incomplete, and to never see them fully implemented later through a firmware update.
You would have loved the P2, samsung would update the firmware about every 2-3 months! Really kept the device alive.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 AM

any info about the dac?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Any hint about OpenGL or a GPU for 3D games ? The PDF just ticks the "games" item. Thanks !

Old 03-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Samsung Moderator

I don't know about a GPU but that may interest you (benchmarks):

http://blog.naver.com/likeraser/20123049545

Tags
galaxy player, galaxy s, preview, samsung, wifi 4.0, wifi 5.0, yp-g1, yp-g50, yp-g70, yp-gb1, yp-gb70