android
Old 08-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Default Great deal on the ARCHOS 43...See Inside

I've had my A43 for about a week and I'm loving it. The screen size is perfect for my needs, and looks great. The touch screen is kind of touchy, but I'm starting to get used to it. I had some problems getting Windows Media Player to connect with the A43 for Sync, but in WMP Options, clicking on Refresh under Devices fixed that.

I loaded up a video 'Alice in Wonderland' converted at VC1, WMA Pro-HD 720p (1.6GB) and it looked very good and sounded good too using a nice pair of Sennheiser's, but the sound level was rather low.

I Synced my WMA (variable bit rate-highest quality) playlists to the A43, but the A43 didn't organize them as playlists, so I had to manually configure them using the built in Create a Playlist feature in the A43. It wasn't that big of a deal as I went from Album to Album and not Song to Song. Again, with my Sennheiser's it sounds good to me, but I'm no audiofile.

I won't have my Wi-Fi network set up untill next week, so I can't comment on using the internet or Android apps.

Anyway, I've been shopping at Newegg for years building computers and such, and I picked up my A43 along with the official Archos A43 case ($20.00) for $150.00 for both...free shipping...no tax. For what you get it's a pretty good deal.

ARCHOS 4.3 MP3/MP4 Player 43 Internet Tablet - 8GB

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats so is touch screen annoying or is just a matter of getting used to it?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM

The A43 is the first device I've ever used with a touch screen. Many have reported that it's a pain to work with, but for me I find it more challenging than annoying. There seems to be a learning curve, and I'm finding I can work my way around it a lot better than when I first started using it. Not really a problem for me.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:03 PM

There's a steep learning curve with the resistive screen on the 43. However, once you make curve, the screen works very well. I tend to think that a "multi-touch" capacitive screen would make more of a difference on a larger device.

I highly recommend SlideIT for inputting data. It's much, much faster than trying to type on a tiny keyboard by using your fingernail. SlideIT turns the 43 into a fairly productive tool.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I found after i did the firmware updates the touch screen seemed to work better for me

Old 01-13-2012, 03:44 PM

Default A43 poor user experience

I bought an Archos 43 last May, I have to say that the user experience is very poor, the touchscreen is resisitive and is irresponsive even with the latest firmware upgrade, sent mine back to Archos to see if it is defective or not. I can not understand why Archos went for a resitive screen instead of a capacitive one, it they have put the capacitive screen, the Archos 43 would be an Apple Ipod serious contender.
The picture quality of the camera is really bad, HD videos, don't know what to say. I have a Blackberry Torch 9800 and I can tell you that the camcorder quality is much better by far, I know that the phone is twice as expensive as the Archos 43

Other features of the Archos 43, like Networking, mini HDMI output, Music Player are great and work very well.

But if you are used to any decent touchscreen like the ones that come with the blackberry torch 9800, Iphone 3GS or 4, Samsung Galaxy, HTC or even lower spec phones like Samsung Europa(my little daughter has one), my recommendation is not to buy it because you will regret it.

A very upset and disappointed Archos 43 owner