android
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Default How to I remove Rockbox from my Clip?

OK, I tried it. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough of an audiophile, but I really don't like Rockbox on my Clip.

I love my Clip and Clip+ because the sound quality is great and the device is so simple and reliable to use, and very portable. Rockbox changed that.

Issues with Rockbox,
1) I can't read the friggin' menues. I've switched theme and that helps, now I can read in if I'm standing still focusing on the menue. I downloaded and installed "blind old man" themes using the utility, but they don't show up on the Theme menu.

2) The "Home" button doesn't do anything with Rockbox. I realized just how much I rely on that button once I didn't have it.

3) "Database", not "Music"? Fine, I can live with that, but WTF? The clip doesn't do anything but music.

4) Too many options. This isn't a bad thing if you want micro control of your player, but I like the quick and simple navigation of the original firmware.

5) Oh, and the volume of the Clip dropped significantly with Rockbox. Maybe there is a setting, but refer to #4.

I'm glad I tried it, but it's not the direction I want to go with my Clip.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just do a normal firmware update.....that should bring it back to stock.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Just do a normal firmware update.....that should bring it back to stock.
True but you also need to delete the .rockbox directory.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
True but you also need to delete the .rockbox directory.
Good point! Forgot about that.....I've never wanted to remove it from my players.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
... I've never wanted to remove it from my players.
Neither have I but during the early days of beta I did remove it and reinstalled it many times. It's just that great that honestly I can not remember booting to the OF in over 2 years now and it's been much longer with the e200

Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diechipmunk View Post

5) Oh, and the volume of the Clip dropped significantly with Rockbox. Maybe there is a setting, but refer to #4.
Are you running some ancient build? This was fixed ages ago.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Are you running some ancient build? This was fixed ages ago.
I downloaded the current release for the Clip 2 weeks ago. I think it was 3.7.x,

I've followed the directions to reinstall the original fw, but no luck. I can't use the Sansa installer, since it no longer recognizes my Clip, so I tried to do it manually;

I deleted the .rockbox folder from my clip and copied the original fw (m300a.bin) to the root dir. When I try to reset my Clip, by holding the left on button, the screen flashes the Rockbox logo, then tells me it can't find the file, the sits on "Please connect USB cable".

Now I have neither Rockbox or Sansa running.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I downloaded the current release for the Clip 2 weeks ago. I think it was 3.7.x,

I've followed the directions to reinstall the original fw, but no luck. I can't use the Sansa installer, since it no longer recognizes my Clip, so I tried to do it manually;

I deleted the .rockbox folder from my clip and copied the original fw (m300a.bin) to the root dir. When I try to reset my Clip, by holding the left on button, the screen flashes the Rockbox logo, then tells me it can't find the file, the sits on "Please connect USB cable".

Now I have neither Rockbox or Sansa running.
The one you need is clppa.bin, if you're doing this on a Clip+. Is it a Clip or a C+ you're doing this on?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 PM

Sounds like you re-installed a patched fw, if you put the .rockbox folder back in it should boot to rockbox. Connect to pc and make sure it's viewed in msc, drop a non-patched sansa fw in and delete the .rockbox directory folder, disconnect and wait for fw update. If that doesn't do it, either you have the wrong fw version or something else is wrong as that's the method and it does work.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You never want the Sansa Updater. If you are doing this on a regular Clip, look here for the firmware files. http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...70&postcount=1

Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM

It's a clip, not a c+. I moved in the same fw file I used to generate the rockbox update. I thought it was the original. I'll put rb back on at home and see if I can complete the update then.

Thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Thats pretty old, but it will have the same volume as the OF.

Quote:
It's a clip, not a c+. I moved in the same fw file I used to generate the rockbox update. I thought it was the original. I'll put rb back on at home and see if I can complete the update then.
You don't need to reinstall rockbox, just download whatever firmware you want to update your clip to, and extract it to the root of your player. Then reboot and it'll flash the Sandisk firmware.

FWIW, this is explained in the Rockbox manual, so if you're still having trouble, you might want to take a look at the uninstall directions.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
You don't need to reinstall rockbox, just download whatever firmware you want to update your clip to, and extract it to the root of your player. Then reboot and it'll flash the Sandisk firmware.

FWIW, this is explained in the Rockbox manual, so if you're still having trouble, you might want to take a look at the uninstall directions.
That's where I started, I deleted the .rockbox folder and copied the original firmware file tot he root directory if the clip, and now I'm stuck. The clip still tries to boot rockbox (rockbox flash screen pops up first), but it can't find the files.

I figured if I reinstall rockbox I can try to uninstall with the utility.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM

You're doing this in the Sandisk firmware right? I don't think you can start a firmware update of the Sandisk software in Rockbox, IIRC only the sandisk software can update itself.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:21 PM

There are so many things I love about Rockbox it's not even funny. I've been running it on my iPod for years so to add it to both my Clips is awesome. So much tweakability. The Sansa was OF wasn't bad, but I would give this more time and you'll like it. Plus, you're actually hearing the songs at their proper speed.

I found that the theme "Simplest" is perfect. Makes the menus nice and big and the play screen is perfect and an improvement over Sansa's.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Administrator

To complete the Rockbox removal process you need to turn the player off, then hold |<< when you reboot. That will boot to the OF and update to the firmware you dropped into the drive.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 AM

It's like a virus, I can't get Rockbox off of the Clip. I reinstalled Rockbox, using the utility, to get the current version installed. That worked fine.

I then used the utility to uninstall RB, that said it worked fine, but when I rebooted the Clip - holding the on button up for 20 seconds, it still booted with RB. SO I tried to uninstall again using the util, and it said RB was not installed. Simply browsing the file system verified that the .rockbox dir was still there with all the files.

Not sure what I can do, Rockbox is entrenched. I then tried to apply the themes I'd installed, but they don't appear in the Theme menu. My clip is effectively bricked.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM

You need to try: manually install the OF for that clip version (connect in MSC, drag & drop FW into the root of the player), not a patched one. Before disconnect, manually delete the .rockbox folder, disconnect and let it do a fw update. That should work and if it doesn't I'm confused ...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
It's like a virus, I can't get Rockbox off of the Clip. I reinstalled Rockbox, using the utility, to get the current version installed. That worked fine.

I then used the utility to uninstall RB, that said it worked fine,
At this point, make sure the .rockbox folder is deleted...now you need to drop the Sandisk firmware onto the root of the player....then disconnect from the computer, and you should see on the screen "firmware upgrade in progress" then it will shut down. After that, turn it on normally and all should be well.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 04-19-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typos

Old 04-19-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I just said above that you didn't need to do that. Just follow the directions in this thread or the manual. It takes like 60 seconds if you actually do what people are telling you