android
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Default New SONY Clip NWZ-B16

Looks pretty cool to me. But the battery life is 18hours, and it only comes in 2GB and 4GB. That kind of limits it's usefulness outside the gym. Like the clip though.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...c-clip-nwz-b16

Last edited by GreasyTacoAficionado; 05-06-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM

What does that blue ring and clip remind you of Yes it does look good and should be fine for sports and gym if it’s not overly priced like many other sony products. The thing that kills me is that not only ipod copied the “clip” on design from SanDisk but now sony too.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
What does that blue ring and clip remind you of Yes it does look good and should be fine for sports and gym if it’s not overly priced like many other sony products. The thing that kills me is that not only ipod copied the “clip” on design from SanDisk but now sony too.
I thought that Sansa copied the clip fpr the Clip from an earlier iPod shuffle. (Based totally on my sometimes faulty memory.)

Steve

Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

After a very quick read at Trusted Reviews (not sure if I trust them ), this product reminds me strongly of the original Sansa Clip...removable clip, no card slot, 2/4 GB, small screen.

Unknown...what countries will have this product, what USB type.

I know many folks are Sony fans, but I suspect that the Clip+ will be better and probably cheaper. I just hope that the next iteration of the Clip line (the 2012 Clip) continues to be better.

Steve

Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm intrigued.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I thought that Sansa copied the clip fpr the Clip from an earlier iPod shuffle. (Based totally on my sometimes faulty memory.)

Steve
I could be wrong and if so, I'm sure someone will correct me, AFAIK the ipod shuffle clip was a copy of the SanDisk Clip, which I believe came first. Now /me awaits responses and abuse for poor memory

Old 05-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I'm intrigued.
Please tell me...what has you intrigued?

After a long wait for the US and Canadian Sony Style sites to load their home pages, the only Walkman series listed at the two sites are S, E, and W. What are the odds that this new product will make it to North America? Under 10%?

Steve

Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM

Frontpaged: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/n...the-sony-clip/

GreasyTacoAficionado, please mention your news source next time, saves me some hunting around.

The B143/152 was a pretty nice player, IMO. I had it for a while. This one seems to be exactly the same, besides the clip.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I could be wrong and if so, I'm sure someone will correct me, AFAIK the ipod shuffle clip was a copy of the SanDisk Clip, which I believe came first. Now /me awaits responses and abuse for poor memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Shuffle 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SanDisk_Sansa 2007
Quote:
Please tell me...what has you intrigued?

After a long wait for the US and Canadian Sony Style sites to load their home pages, the only Walkman series listed at the two sites are S, E, and W. What are the odds that this new product will make it to North America? Under 10%?

Steve
What has me intrigued? Slightly better rated battery life than the Clip+, the wonderful utility that a clip brings, and unlike the iPod Shuffle, it does have at least a token screen. Would I buy one without reading a more in-depth review? Probably not, unless the price was suitably low.

As far as the battery life...the Clip+ is rated 15 hours, but you won't get that without Rockbox. Both of mine were dead by the 10th hour with mostly high bitrate MP3 files on them. Sony won't offer compatibility with FLAC or Ogg Vorbis files, which eat the Clip+ battery like crazy(unless you use Rockbox) so I can gather from all this that for the many people that don't want to Rockbox (I think you know a few ) the Sony would indeed have better battery life.

And the Sonys I've had have really sounded good....the only drawback of my S639 is the lack of gapless, really.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Those small Sony sticks usually also didn't have folder browsing, if that matters (for me it's a dealbreaker). Maybe they added folder browsing to this new one?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Banned

I'm unimpressed.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Marvin, I stand corrected, only goes to show you how little I follow ipods. Maybe I was thinking first removable clip
Quote:
September 12, 2006, Apple announced bla bla bla … This size includes the new built-in belt clip; the actual unit itself is thinner …

Sansa Clip was released on October 9, 2007. The player is similar in size to the second-generation iPod shuffle, but incorporates a removable clip …

Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The B152/153 were released in June 2010 (http://www.cheapest-ipod.com/sony-wa...nwz-b152-b153/). Anybody know what countries they were available in? Most of the hits I saw were obviously from the UK.

Steve

Old 05-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No micro sd expansion slot, blah!!! I'll pass, thanks.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The B152/153 were released in June 2010 (http://www.cheapest-ipod.com/sony-wa...nwz-b152-b153/). Anybody know what countries they were available in? Most of the hits I saw were obviously from the UK.

Steve
B152F and B153F are available in India (and hence may be rest of asia as well) at prices of $65 and $90 respectively. But the specs mention they have folder browsing and battery life is rated at the same 18 hours as the 16X series. For a bit more than B153F, I managed to get a 8GB Clip+ and 16GB microSDHC (including shipping + all duties and taxes).

Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Frontpaged: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/n...the-sony-clip/

GreasyTacoAficionado, please mention your news source next time, saves me some hunting around.
Whohoo!!!! I'm honored, Thank you.

Sorry there wasn't a link to the source. I'm always careful to include it but this time I accidentally deleted it as I was pasting the picture links in. Added the source link back in there.