android
Old 06-22-2006, 07:51 AM

Question Unsupported Codec Error

Hi all. I've had my ZV:M for a few weeks now and am getting very comfortable with it. I've been using it heavily and been active on these and other forums to the point where I feel very well-informed and educated with the unit. However, I've run into a snag.

Last night I finally finished tagging my MP3 "singles," about 400 individual songs that I didn't rip myself. I tagged them all with artist, title, the genre of "Single", and cleared all other tags. When I went to transfer them, about 90 of them failed with an "unsupported codec" error. I got the same error whether I dragged them over in Windows Explorer or if I added them through the "Add Media" wizard in the Creative software.

The songs play fine in foobar, Winamp, MediaMonkey, WMP, etc. What I finally did is use foobar to transcode one of the files even though it was already an MP3. The resulting file did transfer successfully to my player.

I guess my question is, is there some sort of MP3 encoding that the ZV:M doesn't support? Is there any way to get more detailed information on the encoding used in these problem files? All of my players show them as MP3 in various types, mostly 128 and 160k CBR (I know, I know, I said I didn't rip them!). Obviously, I don't want to transcode a lossy file to another lossy file, but that may be my only option with many of these songs. Do any of you folks have any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2006, 07:12 PM

Unless you're willing to rip those trackes again, it wouldnt be TOO much hassel, 90 tracks? thats about 4-5 disks worth. But if you're ANOT willing to do that, you'd best use the transcoding software which comes with the ZV:M, it knows what the player likes and will code it automatically, so yeah, either rip them yourself, or use the converting software which comes with the ZV:M

Old 06-23-2006, 12:23 AM

Yeah, they will essentially have to be transcoded. Ripping them is not an option in this case. They are single tracks, so those 90 songs are probably from 80 different albums. I'll likely make a list of the ones that don't transfer and decide whether they are worth keeping, transcoding, or re-aquiring. I'm traveling on business next week and will have plenty of airport, airplane, car, and hotel time for this kind of tedious junk.

I just wish I knew what it was that the ZV:M didn't like about them so I could make sure it doesn't happen again (not that I've had any problems with the 60 or so discs I've ripped and encoded so far). They are definitely MP3's, but maybe they're some weird bitrate or some such thing. Software players have no problems at all with them.

Last edited by Dedpoet; 06-23-2006 at 12:26 AM.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:51 AM

just run them through the converter that came with the ZV:M and that should fix them up.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:06 PM

on a sidenote using mp11 will automatically at tags for you. all you have to do is provide the album. well actually i don't think you even have to do that.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:51 PM

As a follow-up, re-encoding the files did fix them, though I still have no idea what the original problem was. As for the tags, that wasn't ever really an issue, it just took some time to tag all of the individual files exactly the way I wanted them.