android
Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Default Ten Minute Start-up

No, the title is not an exaguration on how long the Vision M takes to start.

I've been using my Vision M for five years now, I believe, and am having troubles with it for the first time. When I turn the unit on, it will remain on the screen with the full "ZEN Vision M" logo for 10-15 minutes. Once it is started however, it runs perfectly fine. Further complicating the issue for me, is if I shut the unit off and turn it back on, it'll start up immediately. The starting-up isn't a problem until I leave the player off for an extended period of time (overnight, typically).
As I've had the player since 2006 and have used only a screen protector from SkinIt, I am going to guess that this is something infixible from extended use and wear. I thought it would be smart to see if anyone has heard of similar problems before I begrudgingly look into replacing my Vision M.

Also, having not shopped for, nor been interested in mp3 players, what is a good alternative for me to look into? I don't care about how fashionable it is or the various features. Something durable with an impressive screen is what I am looking for. The Creative "Zen" from a few years back seems to be the most likely candidate, from what I have gathered. Any other suggestions or comments?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Couple questions,how much space is left on the player? Have you done a Cleanup>Reboot on the player itself? This usually helps fix issues like this. I would suggest after you got it started from one of those long starups. to shut the player down then start the player in Rescue?Recovery mode & choose the Cleanup selection after that is done choose Reboot. She if that helps & REFRAIN from choosing any other choices from that menu screen. ONLY do this when the battery has a full charge.
Creative Zen Vision:M
  1. Detach the Zen Vision:M player from your PC , and ensure that the unit is off.
    If the battery is too low, charge the battery fully before continuing
  2. Slide the Power switch towards the Power icon and hold the switch in the Power On position.
3. Push the end of a pin-like object (for example, a straightened paper clip) into the reset hole,
press gently and remove.

It will display the following options.

Clean Up
Scans the player and removes invalid links from its music library.
Does not affect music files themselves.
Format (All) Caution! Erases all content!
Save a copy of your player's content before formatting.
Reload OS/ Firmware Caution! Erases your player's firmware.
DO NOT select the Reload Firmware option unless you have access to a PC and you have downloaded the necessary firmware to install.
Reboot Reboots the device.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 PM

I filled the player up completely a few months ago, but now have over 6GB of free memory.

I tried to do the clean up, but there were no improvements following the reboot. I suppose I will just back-up all my files and reformat it. While I don't expect that to be productive, it sounds like it is the last possible solution before I spend money on something new. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you ever replaced the battery?? If not worth considering 5 yrs. is a long time for a lithium-ion battery to last. Also the player may be in need a new hardrive.