android
Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 AM

Lightbulb Fuze+ scratched - what about cosmetics?

So recently my Fuze+ was scratched all to kingdom come and I have this nasty looking screen everytime I boot it up and screen polish does not work polycarbonate, I found this out the hard way. Now I have tried everything to get rid of the scratches: buffing with a nail rotary tool, microfiber cloth, even car scratch removal. All in all nothing works and placing a screen protector does not even bend the light enough to hide the scratches. Is there a case mod or case replacement for the player so I can at least view movies without the rainbow of scratches obstructing my view?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 PM

i also learned the hard way in the past to put protective plastic sticker thing on my screens...

Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmtylenol View Post
So recently my Fuze+ was scratched all to kingdom come and I have this nasty looking screen everytime I boot it up and screen polish does not work polycarbonate, I found this out the hard way. Now I have tried everything to get rid of the scratches: buffing with a nail rotary tool, microfiber cloth, even car scratch removal. All in all nothing works and placing a screen protector does not even bend the light enough to hide the scratches. Is there a case mod or case replacement for the player so I can at least view movies without the rainbow of scratches obstructing my view?
Have you tried PlastX? I had good luck with that on an E280R screen. It's designed for headlights and clear plastics.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:32 PM

I suspect in the situation, that most scratch removers will not fully do the necessary removals. The scratch removes / polishes are designed for clear coat paints on cars and are not designed to cut into the paint to remove oxidation like the old paint on the cars before the 1990s.

I've done scratch repairs on vehicles and I usually wet sand with a 2,000 grit paper. You could do this in an area a bit out of the way - down towards the bottom of the player as a trial. Keep the area moist - but, be careful not to get moisture down in the buttons, etc. Keep on sanding slowly without applying too much pressure. Then, wipe up the moisture and the fine sand / plastic particles with a paper towel. Then, use some automotive scratch remover - Meguier's, 3M, etc. With a very soft towel, keep working with small amounts of the polish and work in tiny circular motions. When done, wipe the whole area to remove any material or extra debris.

If your "test" area looks good, then move onto some other areas that are more visible to the eye - such as the viewing screen. Keep the area you work on small and focus on your work. Carefully, you'll really improve the situation and the looks of the player. You might not get it back to 100% or like it was on the first day - but, you'll be a whole lot better off than you are now.