android
Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Playing .mp4

I have some .mp4's that I've played before for years, on an iPod Video and on various Windows players.

I copied it to the Fuze+, but the Fuze+ thinks it's an audio file and only plays audio from it. How can I get it to play those files?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Administrator

The only supported video codecs in Rockbox are MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. They're supported through the MPEG Player Plugin. http://download.rockbox.org/daily/ma...5-25300012.3.7 More on video playback and conversion to .mpg here http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/PluginMpegplayer

Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM

I currently have 3 .mpg files on the memory card. I was able to play one of them once yesterday, but can't play any of them today.

I tried going to "Open With" and selecting the file, but it still doesn't work.

I keep getting "unsupported format".

I notice when I go to the file properties menu in Rock Box, the time for the files is messed up. For example, it thinks a 3 min video is 23 minutes. The time is messed up for all of the video files.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Administrator

The files you have won't work unless they encoded the way Rockbox needs them. A file having a .mpg file extension doesn't mean it's properly encoded for playback in Rockbox. Have you read the wiki page I linked? It has the encoding parameters and how to encode video files so they'll play in Rockbox there.

There's also a link to WinFF that has built in Rockbox presets. There's no Fuze+ preset but you can use another Rockbox preset that has a screen resolution that matches the Fuze+. I've used the Rockbox Ipod Video Widescreen setting the and converted files played properly in landscape view.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
The files you have won't work unless they encoded the way Rockbox needs them. A file having a .mpg file extension doesn't mean it's properly encoded for playback in Rockbox. Have you read the wiki page I linked? It has the encoding parameters and how to encode video files so they'll play in Rockbox there.

There's also a link to WinFF that has built in Rockbox presets. There's no Fuze+ preset but you can use another Rockbox preset that has a screen resolution that matches the Fuze+. I've used the Rockbox Ipod Video Widescreen setting the and converted files played properly in landscape view.
Thanks.

I now tried using WinFF to encode a video at 320x240, and 320x178. None of them work.

Do I need to specify a certain bitrate or data rate?

For the preset, I tried the "RB Apple Video Ipod Video Widescreen", as well as RB Sandisk Sansa e200 Widescreen".

Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Administrator

WinFF should work just using the presets. It did for me just now.

I updated to the current WinFF 1.5.3 version to make sure there wasn't a change in the presets from the older version I had used before. Then I picked the Rockbox ipod Video widescreen setting, converted a couple of files, dragged them onto the Fuze+ and they play.

If that's not how it's working for you I really don't know how to troubleshoot that. I've only done a few experiments to be sure WinFF and a Rockboxed player work together. The screen is much too small for me to use any sandisk DAP I have as a video player.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:41 PM

Here's the settings I'm using, do you see anything different?

Old 05-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Your settings are the same as mine. Which is why I don't know why the resulting files aren't working for you. WinnFF is able to convert near anything and if you use the presets the results should play. It's worked that way for me for years.

WinFF is simple to the point where you pretty much have to work at it for it to fail. As your settings look as if you're doing the same as I am I just don't know why its not working for you.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:35 PM

What's a little infuriating is that it was working yesterday, before I had to reformat my memory card (due to errors). I was able to play a video at least once. I don't remember what format or settings they were, I had just copied it from one of the existing non converted copies I had.

Actually, I've formatted it 3 times now in 48 hours. (All in the past 15 hours).

What's been happening is that certain things that I can see on the memory card when I stick it in a reader, don't appear when I put the memory card in the player. Or they stop appearing.

The first few times, it was items P-S that would stop appearing after a few times of going back and forth between the reader and the Fuze+. When I say stop appearing, they still appear on the memory card, but not when I put it in the player.

If I have to do it one more time, I'm going to just use the internal memory, and notify the memory card seller of what's happening.

EDIT: Right now it appears a few items N-P have now stopped appearing. Ok, I'm going to use the internal memory from now on.

I am safely removing the memory card from the reader, each time.

If I have to get another memory card, I might get a 32GB one instead of a 64GB one, just to remove one more step in this process (formatting a 64GB one as a FAT32).

What size memory card are you using, have you had any problems with a MicroSDXC that needed to be formatted as a FAT32?

Another OT question: Does the original Fuze+ firmware recognize a formatted 64GB card, or only Rock Box?

Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Administrator

The symptoms you describe are those that others have posted for fake cards. You can go here and get a copy of h2testw to check. It writes to then reads from every available sector of the card and generates a report. That report gives you an accurate account of the true size of the card.

IIRC the sansisk firmware should see all of a card FAT32 formatted larger than 32 GB. Only 32 GB is officially supported and there's a file limit I don't recall offhand but when you check the info tab it should reflect the actual size of the card. That's from what I've read as I've never tried a 64 GB card in the sandisk firmware.

I typically use 32 GB class 10 cards. Depending on where I get them I can pay as little as $16 for those. I'm not big on trying to have all my music with me at every moment so 32 GB is plenty for my daily needs.

Edit:
Have you tried playing the videos you've converted from the internal memory? If they're sitting on a part of the external memory that doesn't properly exist that would account for them not working.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
The symptoms you describe are those that others have posted for fake cards. You can go here and get a copy of h2testw to check. It writes to then reads from every available sector of the card and generates a report. That report gives you an accurate account of the true size of the card.

IIRC the sansisk firmware should see all of a card FAT32 formatted larger than 32 GB. Only 32 GB is officially supported and there's a file limit I don't recall offhand but when you check the info tab it should reflect the actual size of the card. That's from what I've read as I've never tried a 64 GB card in the sandisk firmware.

I typically use 32 GB class 10 cards. Depending on where I get them I can pay as little as $16 for those. I'm not big on trying to have all my music with me at every moment so 32 GB is plenty for my daily needs.
Thanks, I'm reading through that link right now, and will try it in a bit.

Yeah, the file limit is something like 9,000 songs, which I'm not close to hitting. I'm only between 1,100-1,300.

I didn't need a 64GB card either, I just figured it would be nice to have for the future. I'm only using a little more than 10 GB, so a 32GB would have been fine for a few years.

Also related: I bought the flash card off of eBay for $13.50.

However, the day after I made the purchase, eBay notified me that the listing was removed. When I called eBay, they said it could have meant that the seller sold something that the seller wasn't authorized to sell, or violated the terms of agreement.

I reached out the seller, and he said he was still going to ship the item, so I didn't think anything else was wrong. I guess I might have been sold a fraudulent card, looking into it.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Edit:
Have you tried playing the videos you've converted from the internal memory? If they're sitting on a part of the external memory that doesn't properly exist that would account for them not working.
I did once or twice, but not as often as I tried playing them from external memory.

As I posted a few posts ago, since I'm going to be using internal memory from now on, I will try a lot more things from there (different video formats/settings; different conversions).

Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM

Yup, just checked two different versions of the converted videos, both play fine from internal memory.

Haven't run the utility on the memory card yet, still reading through the blog and watching MLB in the background.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Ok, running h2testw now. It's going to take about 2 hours, 11 mins.

(BTW, when I used the Hard Disk Low Level Format app last night to do a "long format", it took 5 hours).

Old 05-26-2014, 06:33 PM

Just to verify, so the fake memory card would fool both Windows OS, and Rock Box's reading of it, right?

Here's a post with a screen shot I took on Saturday of how Rock Box read the memory card:

Old 05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Administrator

They report to you what the card reports to them. h2testw reports what it actually writes then reads. That's why it's the recommended tool to detect the true amount of storage. All of this is explained better and in more detail on the page I linked.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:20 PM

It's been four hours and it's written 34.7 GB. It hasn't started reading yet.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Just noticed that you used an app to "low level" format the card. I've never used it so I can't offer an opinion as to what it does. I will say that I seriously doubt it's needed.

I've used the SD Formatter since it was originally called the Panasonic Formatter. As you'll see from the linked page it brings a card to the industry recommended standard.

I've had zero problems with a SD card of any type since. There have been problems that were caused by the file system being corrupted by outside programs or me not safely disconnecting. Those would have happened regardless of formatting.

I've read people saying both ways that the SD Formatter is capable of formatting a SDXC card as FAT32. I don't know for sure as when I've formatted a card over 32 GB I've either used an android phone or guiformat. They both take a few seconds to get the job done.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Just noticed that you used an app to "low level" format the card. I've never used it so I can't offer an opinion as to what it does. I will say that I seriously doubt it's needed.

I've used the SD Formatter since it was originally called the Panasonic Formatter. As you'll see from the linked page it brings a card to the industry recommended standard.

I've had zero problems with a SD card of any type since. There have been problems that were caused by the file system being corrupted by outside programs or me not safely disconnecting. Those would have happened regardless of formatting.

I've read people saying both ways that the SD Formatter is capable of formatting a SDXC card as FAT32. I don't know for sure as when I've formatted a card over 32 GB I've either used an android phone or guiformat. They both take a few seconds to get the job done.
I used the Hard Disk Low Level Format to format the card because after I first got the corrupted data errors, fat32format couldn't re-format the card anymore, it would complain about cyclic redundancy errors.

I then tried the HD Low Level Format, and it was able to reformat the card. After that, I was able to use fat32format to format it as a FAT32 and wouldn't get the cyclic redundancy error anymore. So that's why I used it. I saw various other trouble shooting options, some which involved making a boot disc, to get rid of the cyclic redundancy error. One of the suggestions was to use this app though, so I tried that, before wanting to try the boot disc method.

However, as I mentioned, I ended up getting the corrupted data error 3 more times over the next 48 hours. fat32format was unable to format the card again. I tried HD Low Level Format's "Quick Format" the subsequent times, and it was able to format the card in a few seconds. After that, I would go back to fat32format to format it as a FAT32.

fat32format was able to format the 64GB SDXC card as a FAT32.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 PM

These were the results of h2testw.

+++++++++++++++

The media is likely to be defective.
7.7 GByte OK (16166986 sectors)
54.7 GByte DATA LOST (114872246 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
54.7 GByte corrupted (114872246 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001df744a00
Expected: 0x00000001df744a00
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 1.12 MByte/s
Reading speed: 9.34 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4