android
Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Default Creative ZEN Style M300

creative is going to release a new player. seems to be really interesting:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3988...layer-hands-on

what do you guys think? the pricing looks like if creative wants to throw a concurrent to the clip+ on the market...

actually there are two versions of this player: the m300 comes with bluetooth support and has a 16gb version and the m100 without bluetooth and only up to 8gb storage.

here the specs:
M100 & M300:

Capacity: 4GB / 8GB++ / 16GB
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.1 Wireless Technology (supports A2DP & AVRCP)
LCD: 1.45" TFT (128x128, 262K colours)
Battery Life: Up to 20 hours (based on 128kpbs, 4mins/song, MP3 file)
Power Charging: Yes (via USB)
Memory Expansion: microSD, up to 32GB
Video Playback Formats: Transcoded Video (SMV)
Audio Playback Formats: MP3, WMA (DRM9), WAV (IMA-ADPCM), Audible Format 4, Audible AAX
Photo Format Supported: JPEG
Voice Recording: Yes
Colors: Black, White, Red and Yellow++
Connectivity: USB 2.0

Last edited by kredig; 05-05-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks like they've let the designers have some fun. I'd like to see a detailed hands-on review or three before deciding if it's worth the (unknown) price.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM

16 GB internal and 32 GB external is nice, but will it integrate the libraries together like the Clip+, or will it go the route of the previous Creative players and "offload" the card to the player, effectively leaving it as a transfer method, not an expansion?

That's a real concern there, as the card to player transfer of previous models was a real deal-breaker.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM

the pricing is not really unknown. just look at the creative website. the player is already listed.
i guess the player does not integrate the sdcard into the library. the wording on their website sounds like it. at least in german...
we will have to see if there will be some reviews out soon.
i really hope so because i am kind of interested in this player

Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Not interested much,I'm still really disappointed in Creative.It seems like they used the Sansa slotradio design and it made their own.

Last edited by Lagoo56; 05-05-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 05-05-2011, 02:35 PM

No real buttons? Pass. (Besides having the usual ridiculously basic Creative specs.)

Old 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Creative still sux,...

Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Creative should of put a clip on it. Like on the Sandisk Clip and iPod Nano.
People like that clip.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Great looking little device, but I'd already have to by a case with a clip, pushing the cost up. I, personally, prefer real buttons, or at least buttons that require pressure - I hate issuing commands by accidental touches.

I hope Creative has finally integrated the SD slot content, that's been a complaint of every one of their devices that has an SD slot for years now.

Still, I can't wait to check it out.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I hope Creative has finally integrated the SD slot content, that's been a complaint of every one of their devices that has an SD slot for years now.
Agreed. That 64 GB Zen was looking really awesome until I found out that it only transfers files, not integrates.

So you have a 64 GB player, and you can put a 32 GB microSD card in it, that's great! But you have to have space on the player to transfer files over rrom the card, so you effectively have to keep half the player's internal memory free just to play music off of the card...

So why bother with the card slot at all, then? It's completely useless, and actually makes it harder to carry music with you, because you have to actively restrict what you can have on it at any time.

Did no one at Creative think about this at all?

EDIT: Further research yields contradicting info. Some users say it doesn't integrate at all, some say it will scan and play music from the card, some say it won't load anything from it at all.

Is there anyone with practical hands on experience that can illuminate this mystery?

Last edited by Just Some Guy; 05-05-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM

^ Wow,I never knew that about the X-Fi2,I've looked at it many times and thought of buying it,now I know not to. I think all of the good employees at Creative are gone because there is something wrong with their design thinking.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyTacoAficionado View Post
Creative should of put a clip on it. Like on the Sandisk Clip and iPod Nano.
People like that clip.
Agreed.

I own creatives ziisound D5 speaker. I am really impressed with the apt-x bluetooth streaming sound quality. Ipad 2 works great with it (have to use dongle for apt-x). I want a smaller player for it, i was thinking the new nano ipod, would look awesum docked in the speaker and using the dongle to charge/stream apt-x blu tooth would be great. Plus the nano has a clip as well.

At first I saw this (m300) and was like "great an alternative to the ipod nano!" but after further inspection I'm not convinced the m300 will be a winner and here's why:

a) no clip
b) microsd card NOT intergrated into main library. If u look at creative european website there are pictures of it and it says 'microsd card on the main menu', kind of suggests this is how u browse on it... + this is what creative does anyway...
c) bluetooth 2.1 is great, but WHY not apt-x! I looked on the website again and can be pretty sure its not apt-x like the ziisound tablets.
d) for me (personally) it doesnt have the insert to take the apt-x bluetooth dongle THEY produce so it wont dock with the speaker, so for me its not what im looking for in this case.

So close... but so far. They need to look at their product range closer and figure out how to merge ext and int memory lol.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 AM

Argh

Really exited at first, but it doesn't have any buttons..

Still, at 40 for the 4GB m100, it's cheaper than a Clip+ and I may actually buy it to replace my Clip+ which partially broke. So yeah still excited after all

Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

SD card as a menu choice does not prove the music app won't integrate both internal and SD contents. The Creative Zen Touch-2 integrates both in its database.

Old 05-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lets just hope it can be rockboxed quickly for arguments sake lol

Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM

I'd rather hear about the SD card first. There's no point in RockBoxing anything if it doesn't have a feature most people want.

Features first, optional firmware second. Then we'll talk.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:21 PM

Well, Rockbox would integrate the SD card in any way... anything else (ie. Creative's general approach to crappy firmware design) would be stupid. But there's not a single Rockboxed Creative player yet, so chances are very slim.

However, just today one Rockbox developer mentioned on IRC how cool it would be to have file sync over Bluetooth on the M300.

Quote:
[15:57] <sideral> Imagine Rockbox on this thing: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/05/c...tyle-m300-pmp/
[15:58] <sideral> Sync over bluetooth anyone?
[16:00] <krazykit> so are you offering to write a rockbox bluetooth stack?
[16:01] <sideral> No, I wanted "anyone" to do it

Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Rockbox Developer

Hi,
This player looks nice indeed. Does anyone knows the hardware or has a link to a disassembly/photos of the internals ? That would be the preliminary step for potential Rockbox port.
I even have another player with bluetooth, one could imagine exchanging file via bluetooth (long term dream )

Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like this player also but one thing really stumps me! The players bluetooth is NOT apt-x bluetooth such as the creative line of bt speakers and even the ziio (ipads) tablets creative produce have 'em. Why oh why did creative manufactuer bluetooth speakers and tablets that carry the important apt-x blutooth tech but then forget (or whatever) to include it in their new line of mp3 players :S

Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM

It looks like fat ipod nano. . .