android
Old 05-13-2011, 01:49 AM

Default Archos 70 250GB - Some Questions

I'm considering this tablet. Can anyone answer the following:

1. Multitasking - can you surf the internet and play music at the same time?
2. How good is the music sound quality? Does it have an egualizer?
3. Can you pay video from a USB flash drive? How about from a portable hard drive?
4. Can you connect a keyboard?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-13-2011, 06:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

1. Yes
2. Depends on your headphones. Can sound amazing with the right ones. EQ yes, but only when headphones are plugged in.
3. With the right cable, and some luck. If the Archos recognizes the drive then content will usually play off it. Different external drives have different power demands, and the Archos tablets don't like the needy ones.
4. Yes. At least I've connected them over Bluetooth. Don't know if they'll work over the USB port.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Thank you for your answers. I have some additional questions:

1. Video performance: How good is 480p using H.264 format? Will it play smoothy at 1500 Kbps? How about 720p @ 1500 kbps?
2. Is screen brightness OK or not bright enough?
3. I heard that the 250gb is not as snappy as the 8gb model. Is this due to the hard drive, memory or not enough internal storage? Or is it due to loading too many apps?
4. Flash (on Android 2.2). In fullscreen can 480P play smoothly? How about 720p?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

480p plays fine. So does 720p.
Screen brightness is adjustable and fine for me, but not bright enough to watch videos outside in the sunlight.
The hard drive is what you wait for on the 250gb model. It'll spin down when it can to save energy, and you have to wait for it to ramp up again when you need access to it.
You'll need to provide a link to a 720p flash example , otherwise I don't know. 480p Youtube flash videos play fine. Flash 10.3.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM

I to have a few questions.

Can you run things like grooveshark in browser on the archos 70? I kind of hate having to have a paid account to get the mobile apps. I heard people have ran other os s on the archos 70 is this true if so what os?
How high of capacity sd cards wil it support?
are there free or cheap word processing apps.?
Are there any apps that allow me to stream media from my pc to this device?

I want to be able to study my computerized notes in college from my bed using this device as well

I am currently looking at the archos 70 8gb for 260$ at tigerdirect

Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM

Hi!

I own the Archos 70 (8 GB)

Haven't tried Grooveshark, but I will tonight when I'm home and let you know if it works.

Quote:
Are there any apps that allow me to stream media from my pc to this device?
The Archos actually has this functionality built in right out of the box and it sort of works, but I've found that audiogalaxy (free app) is just so much better. I highly recommend it for streaming. And it scrobbles too if you are a Last.fm user and have their app installed as well.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM

So I tried to load the desktop version of the Grooveshark website on both the default browser and Skyfire with no success. Both gave me the same error saying Flash was blocked. I checked Adobe Flash player and the Archos has the latest version installed.

Then I found an Android app called TinyShark, which is not as pretty and smooth as the Grooveshark website, but it does work on the Archos 70. You can search for music and it plays back fine. There's a small banner ad at the bottom of the screen.

Pretty nice actually, I didn't know I could have Grooveshark on my Archos for free. Thanks for making me look!

Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My 70 did the oddest thing today. I'd been off for a week or so but today, on its own, it booted up. The battery was at 10% and maybe that's why it woke up, but it sure surprised me. It wasn't connected to anything, and all the radios were off.